Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Second Seated in a week...

trojdor

It's normally quite hard to find these guys, but I'm having some good luck this year. :)

I've been hunting some local parks with CZconnoisseur, and we've been focused on going after those really deep iffy signals...with pretty good success.
Last week, I found this unbelievably beautiful seated...http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2307866

To change it up a few days ago, I switched out from the CTX I usually use, and grabbed a mint condition Fisher Coinstrike I'd gotten from Tom Dankowski to 'break in'.
We hunted in the heat for about 4.5 hours with limited success. CZconnoisseur dug deep in the dry ground to rescue 3 deep wheats and 1 indian.
(And we both made significant progress toward our mission to rid the world of pull tab 'beaver tails'...one at a time... ;) )

I managed a few clad, including fighting the dirt for a dime on edge at about 7 inches...that almost wore me out.
Toward the end of the hunt, I finally got a really nice, very faint signal that had all the 'right stuff'.

Dug down about 8.5 inches for this 1891 O seated. Not nearly as nice as the one last week, but still a little better than 'typical' for most seated dirt dimes.
And a very nice first hunt / maiden voyage for the Coinstrike...silver, and a seated, at that.

HH,
:)
mike

Nice find.... ive only ever found one seated in my detecting career and it came from my backyard ... congrats...

You have a knack for hitting deep dimes...beautiful coin! I seem to have a knack for copper coins, and occasionally get lucky with silver :rolleyes: Fantastic first old coin on its maiden voyage! :bouncy:

I've never seen or heard of a Fisher Coinstrike before last hunt...and I was a Fisher enthusiast for many years before I started a long-lasting affair with XP! It had a very familiar feel coming from the CZ machines and I bet it has faster processing than those. I believe you need more break-in time with it...struggled to get that Seated dime target at 8-9" in my program!

Did you have the 10.5" concentric on last hunt? Or is that a DD coil? :shrug:

CZconnoisseur said:
You have a knack for hitting deep dimes...beautiful coin! I seem to have a knack for copper coins, and occasionally get lucky with silver :rolleyes: Fantastic first old coin on its maiden voyage! :bouncy:

Did you have the 10.5" concentric on last hunt? Or is that a DD coil? :shrug:

You do have a knack for those coppers...IH pennies especially...I've never seen so many pop out of the ground as when you're hunting. :cheers:

I used an old Fisher ID Edge 10.5" concentric coil (same detector series as the Coinstrike) that had been made with the batch of bad cable sheathing/insulation that eventually cracks, peels, and turns to spaghetti.
It looks terrible...embarrassing even...but other than no longer being waterproof (or even water resistant) it's still electronically solid.

To get the depth I needed in our ground, it was necessary to GB often (with tracking off).

I'll admit...after that hunt in (mostly) dry ground, the next couple of days my hands/wrists/forearms were SORE. :)