Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Seeking Suggestions for a GPS Receiver w/ These Functions:

sstephenson

Just getting back into metal detecting after several years. I'd like to carry a GPS receiver with me that I can use to do the following:

1) Set a start position at the beginning of a hike and use the GPS to guide me back to that point (preferably by either re-tracing the original route or by following the most direct path.

2) Record the coordinates where metal detecting finds are made.

3) Ideally I would like to be able to load maps from USGS, National Geographic, or other sources.

4) The ability to track distance traveled

5) The ability to enter multiple destinations along a pre-defined route.

And of course I'd like all that in an inexpensive, easy to carry, lightweight unit:bouncy: Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

1, 2, 4 and 5 - just about any handheld GPS receiver can do.
For #3 Garmin Oregon, Dakota or 62 series would be my pick but they are not cheap.
YMMV

Thanks Andrew,

Let's exclude #3 for now. Not really a "must have". What would you recommend as far as something relatively inexpensive, well regarded, and well supported? Thanks.

I'm into metal detecting myself and I have a garmin 60CSx. I happen to find Wal-mar selling the Topo map source CD's for $12 a couple years ago( sells for around $89). Works great in the woods, marking tracks and finds. I'm not to up on GPS's but this one is easy to use. JMO

I'm partial to Garmin because of the maps...
I think I would go for Dakota 10.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=30925
It's 300 bucks, not too many bells and whistles but it can still do #3 !
For 50 more, Dakota 20 has a build in compass that does come really handy! for half the price of Dakota 10, you can get a basic eTrex but, you end up with a small screen and limited map memory and no option to load custom maps... Still, it does what a basic receiver should do and than more.

I got a 60CSX a few weeks ago from Amazon for 200.00 and have used it a few times and have been very impressed with the accuracy, plus it's easy to learn the basics. Marking waypoints etc.. is a breeze but editing with the keypad is a pain. I use Mapsource to load my waypoints in and have gotten free topo and routable maps online which work great.
Mike

DeLorme makes a great handheld and will do all you need. Can download not only different maps but imagery as well and will track your location on the imagery... I love mine

Lat Long or UTM coordinates as well as multiple DATUMS all easily selectable.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10043

Good luck

cant go wrong with the GPSMap 60xxx from Garmin.
I have a CSX and it has taken a beating in Iraq and Afghanistan, but keeps on going.

My Magellan Triton can do all that. It has a camera that embeds the coordinates in the photo. I have the National Geographic Topo Explorer bundle. The GPS was a factory refurbished unit that cost about $150 on ebay. It has touch screen, color and is made to military specs for water resistance etc. it even has a flashlight in it and can play songs.

Mark