Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SEF 8 x 6 Coil for Safari

Cos

Just purchased a beautiful new SEF 8 x6 Coil for my Minelab Safari. Can't wait for winter to leave us here in Wisconsin. One issue with this new coil--The scuff cover is harder to get off than a Tesoro scuff cover. I noted that a few of you have glued the cover right on with silicon or some other product. I'm not sure I want to do that with this nice, new coil. Do any of you have any suggestions for getting the scuff cover off without busting the bolt that attaches the coil to the detector?? Thank you.

I never took my scuff plate off my coil. I siliconed it on. I wouldn't worry about it being a nice new coil, a few trips out with it and it won't look so new anymore. If your worried about it coming off, throw a few wraps of electrical or duct tape on it. SEF coils are TOUGH, way more than the puny stock coil.

Thanks for your response, SurfinSafari. I'm not overly concerned about the SEF coil being new, but rather I do know that no matter how tight the scuff plate fits, you definitely have to clean them out periodically or you will end up with some metallic particles inside them that will negatively impact your detection. Yes, indeed one method is simply to glue them on, as you have done. However, that could affect any resale value should I decide to sell the Safari (and accessories) and move to a different or new detecting platform. My wife has a Tesoro Cibola and we have participated in many U.S. Forest Service Passport in Time projects involving metal detecting. Her scuff cover fits extremely tight, but when I clean it out after a day of detecting, it is completely full of dirt. Getting it off is huge problem, and I think I have broke at least 6-8 Tesoro scuff covers in doing so. However, I am getting better at it, and have also found that if you put a few breaks in the edge of the cover, they come off easier and still keep the bottom of the coil nice and new.

I've never really had a problem taking mine off. Just patience and working around it until it is loose enough. I imagine that SLIGHT heating with a hair dryer would expand the cover and make it easier if its really tight. Be sure you don't dump a bunch of heat into the coil, of course. And it should get easier as you take it off and on more times.

If you just put a bead of silicone around the edge of the cover it will keep it clean. The silicone will peel right off if you ever need to remove it.
Just as info.