Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Semi auto sensitivity.

Markdb61

Do many of you switch back and forth between manual and semi auto sensitivity?
I have been getting a bunch of falsing at some of my places I hunt and was wondering if it would stop some of it by going to semi.

I keep mine in semi-auto "26" and have never seen it go up or down on it's own. I guess if it's falsing that bad you could decrease the sensitivity until it quits. I have'nt had mine for very long so maybe I'm the wrong person to take advice from....good luck !

Here are my thoughts...

I have used semi-auto mostly, but believe I have ganined enough experience now, feeling relatively comfortable with my SE Pro, to begin "venturing out" from Bryce-suggested factory settings setup.

I have had my gain set at "8" since day 1 -- which means, as I understand it, that only the deeper targets will sound "quieter;" the shallow and mid depth targets will sound the same "volume." If you lower gain, I think the mid depth targets begin to sound quieter, etc. Now, having said that, all my targets have sounded the same, running in the factory semi-auto sensitivity setting, since I started using the detector. I never really thought about that, or noticed it. It just "was." But, here's when I noticed it....I wanted to search deeper at a hunted-out local park, so I ran the sensitivity up to 28, and put it in "manual" sensitivity, not semi-auto. It seemed like I could run it with a semi-stable threshold at this location with this sensitivity setting, so I went with it. I was SHOCKED at what I heard. A WHOLE NEW SET OF SOUNDS -- not different tones, just QUIETER, showed up in my headphones! Sure, the loud ones were still there, but there was a whole zone of sounds that were the same types of "pitches," but MUCH LOWER in volume. These were sounds I NEVER HEARD before. NOT ONCE. I quickly figured it out -- those "quiet" tones were DEEPER and/or SMALLER TARGETS. These were the ones I was NOT HEARING AT ALL before, in semi-auto 22 sensitivity. Period. So, next, I switched to 28 sensitivity but semi-auto. Those sounds DISAPPEARED! So I put it back in manual sensitivity, and ran the sens. down to 26 manual -- the quiet sounds returned! I don't know where the "cutoff" is, in manual sensitivity, where the "quiet" sounds would disappear (with an "8" gain setting), but CLEARLY in semi-auto, even run up to 28 semi-auto, you DON'T HEAR THOSE DEEPER/SMALLER TARGETS. Conclusion? Manual sensitivity is MUCH DEEPER than semi-auto -- EVEN AT THE SAME NUMERICAL SENSITIVITY SETTING.

This is not to say that running semi-auto is not a good way to run, especially for a newer user, or at a tough site, in terms of soil or EMI. As I understand, running with a steady threshold is VERY important; however low that means you need to run down your sensitivity, then so be it -- I had to run it below 10 one day. But, my only point here is to say that this machine appears to NOT HEAR THE DEEPER TARGETS in semi-auto sensitivity -- as I learned "accidentally" through that "8" gain setting.

I found that discovery very interesting.

Steve

I have a lot to learn and long way to go myself but ......... When I finally did some experimenting with my Explorer XS in a coin garden, I found the signals were much clearer and stronger when I ran in manual sensitivity. Maybe it is just my soil, but I don't run in auto any more. And I also found out the hard way that there are times when your sensitivity can be cranked up but when you start to use the probe it goes berserk or falses a lot. I thought for a while it was not working correctly. But now when the probe gets crazy I hit auto sensitivity and retrieve the target. Also don't forget wiggling the probe faster, kind of like scribbling on paper, seems to give better depth when searching for the target.

The real key for me was realizing different folks have different soil they hunt in and you have to learn to tune your machine to soil the soil you are hunting, no matter what other folks may be running in other parts of the country. When I first got my Explorer I tried running some of the big boys programs and with the iron we have here in southwest Missouri, I wasn't just enhancing my signals , I was FRYING my signals:rage: and thought for sure my machine was defective. At the time it was my thinking that was defective :confused: and I have since learned better thanks to Bryce, Goldigger, Neal, James, Dewcon, and some of the other Gurus on here :super:......... Also you should set the audio for your hearing by experimenting with limits and threshold tone over a coin garden. Too many concerts , drag races, guns, and power tools over 60 some years have trashed my hearing. So I had to get some good headphones and experiment with the audio settings before I could begin to distinguish between different coin and iron sounds. Just my take on what works for me .... Good luck

I thought the changes the machine made in semi auto were "internal". Would you see the numbers going up or down?

w

wayne_etc said:
I thought the changes the machine made in semi auto were "internal". Would you see the numbers going up or down?

w

Good question. I will have to peruse my users manual today.

Edit: Just checked the manual. It says that in semi-auto the detector will adjust the sensitivity as close as possible to your specified level of sensitivity. Still does'nt say whether or not it moves independently, but from that statement I'm assuming it does not.

Auto sensitivity means exactly that.... the detector will determine the best setting. It wont go higher than what you have set it at.... thats why some feel setting it at the highest setting allows the detector more flexibility. But what im not sure about is if it chooses a real high setting based on EMI ect that it considers depth lose as apposed to stability. I think thats a good reason Bryce doesnt have his all out. I do not switch back and forth just because im comfortable in manual sensitivity and will make my own adjustment when needed. Mark you didnt mention how high you are running you sensitivity.... sometimes less is better. The higher the sensitivity the greater the affect all around. You need to determine whats causing your falsing..... be it raising your coil at the end of your swing, dirt in the coil cover, loose cable connection, high mineralization,or not enough or to much disc... all of these can cause falsing as well as high sensitivity. I dont get concerned about falsing because most of the time its coming off of iron or rusted items. If you have a doubt.... pinpoint and see what you get... if there is iron there that pretty normal. If i notice a lot of noise using my normal settings from bumping the coil ive found a lot of time ... its dirt under the coil cover. I dont take much and it clears right up.

Dew

some very interesting points i,ve recently been experimenting with sensitivaty settings it does to me seem i get harder hits in manual then auto but the exta noise can be hard to handle and slso as stated most tones i hear are the same audio level dont realy seem to hear the soft quiet tones i hear about but do dig deep targets gain mostly at 8 go to bryces 10 settings alot also there is a lot to learn with this detector but it still gives me amazing results thats the fun of learning the se this is a great post with lots of make me think type info thanks guys this is the stuff the helps it all come together learning more each day now i,m going to try using more manual sens and listen for those quieter sounds for the deep goodies good hunting all

teleman --

Remember, though, if you want to hear those "quieter" sounds, you have to have your gain set at less than 10. If I understand correctly, the gain is an "amplifier" of sorts -- it amplifies the sound, such that the higher the gain you run, the smaller/deeper of a target will be progressively set to the "high" volume setting. If your gain is set at 10, I think ALL targets are "amplified" to the "loud" tonal volume level. Imagine a hypothetical scenario with a 2" coin, a 4" coin, and a 6" coin, and an 8" coin. With gain set at 1, I would expect the 2" coin to sound loud, the 4" to sound "medium," and the 6" to sound "quiet," and then maybe not hear the 8" coin at all. With gain set at, say 5, I would expect the 2" coin to be loud, the 4" coin to be loud, the 6" coin to sound "medium," and then, if your sensivity is set high enough to allow it, the 8" coin might be detected, and then would sound "quiet." With gain set at, say, 8, I would expect the 2", the 4", and the 6" coin to be "loud," and the 8" coin -- again, assuming you had enough sensitivity to detect it, would probably sound "medium," or "quiet." Finally, with gain at 10, ALL detected coins should sound loud. You have maxed out the gain, with virtually all targets now set to max tonal volume (as I understand it).

What I was experiencing, with gain set at 8, but running auto-sensivity, was that I was NOT HEARING any of the "quiet" targets. I SHOULD have heard a deeper target sound quiet, but I DIDN'T, until I set it in manual sensitivity. So, what that tells me is, I was only DETECTING the 2", 4", and 6" coins -- which, with gain at 8 per my hypothetical example, were all set to sound "loud." An 8" coin WOULD HAVE sounded quiet at that gain setting, but with sensitivity in semi auto, I was apparently not DETECTING those 8" coins. When I switched to manual, VOILA -- I was able to detect those smaller, deeper targets, and they then BECAME AUDIBLE in my headphones, and -- due to the 8 gain setting -- the tones sounded "quiet" on these targets.

Keep in mind these depths are just made up, but I am trying to illustrate a point. This is what I discovered. Gain set at 8 SHOULD have allowed me to hear the deeper, smaller targets as being "quiet," but I was NOT HEARING those deeper, smaller targets AT ALL -- as running semi-auto sensitivity WAS APPARENTLY KEEPING MY DETECTOR FROM SEEING THEM.

Hope this makes sense; just sharing my experiences as food for thought. Remember, this whole post is not based on any knowledge of the internal operations of the detector and its software. I have no such knowledge. This is just what I've deduced based on how my machine seems to perform with different settings.

Steve

I dont agree with the higher gain the better you hear the tones. I prefer to hunt in 7 gain... sometimes 9. I dont get the kerchunk sound i get at 10 off every target. Im also using manual gain around 24 im not having a problem hearing those deep targets. The gain is more a modulator....but then gain, DEEP, and sensitivity all affect your ability to hear the deeper targets. The way i hunt when i hear that low modulated tone it stops me. I believe Mike Moultry hunts this away also. For me i just like being able to tell the depth as i move around and dont have to look at the screen to see the depth meter. Also if you have EMI, mineral falsing.... ect a high gain ect may create more noise thru the headphones. Another reason some may hunt with a high IM. Its all in how you want to learn the machine. Its such a flexible machine and once learned you will know what works for you in your area.

Dew

Dew --

I am NOT advocating hunting with maxed-out gain. NOT AT ALL. That is totally up to the individual. I am only illustrating how gain seems to WORK, in conjunction with manual versus semi-auto sensitivity -- just sharing what I learned. You said you are not having a problem hearing deeper targets, but you are using MANUAL gain, which was my original point -- that MANUAL gain hits deeper targets better than semi-auto. Yes -- gain is a modulator; as I understand it, the higher the gain, the more it "maximizes" the volume of the quieter signals; the higher the gain, the less "difference" in volume of the signals. That's what "modulated" audio is, as I understand it. The higher the gain, the less "modulation" and the more "saturation" of the audio. The lower the gain, the MORE "modulation" and the LESS "saturation."

My only point was that when RUNNING 8 gain, I SHOULD have been hearing some quieter signals -- which would correspond to deeper/smaller/weaker targets. But I was NOT hearing any of those quieter, deeper signals -- UNTIL I switched out of semi-auto sensitivity and switched INTO manual sens. That's all I meant. Maybe useless info, that is obvious to most, but it was a revelation to me, switching out of semi-auto into manual sensitivity, and hearing that whole other realm of "quieter" sounds appear in my headphones (which the less-than-maxed-out gain setting of 8 that I was running, permitted).

I probably was not clear with my post, because when I read your post, I think we are in 100% agreement. I LIKE running less-than-maxed-out gain, so that I CAN glean some depth and/or size of target information from the detector's audio output.

Steve

I attribute running high gain to helping me find at least 1/3 MORE deep silver and injuns' each year.

I have experimented over at least 100 deep silver coins out in the field before they were dug.

Gain actually amplifies an original, weak signal while deep on merely "enhances" the signal for better audio.

I personally don't want to hear a weak signal enhanced...I want to hear that faint, weak signal as loud as I can so I don't miss it.

My point to this rambling is that over those 100 or more silver coins that I experimented on before I dug...when I dropped the gain to 9 they were all still strong signals to be honest.

When I dropped the gain to 8 most were still pretty strong and I probably would have dug most of them...but the signal was not a 100% "dig me" signal on a few of them.

When the gain was dropped to 7...I lost the "dig me" signal completely on 30 of those silver coins and would not have dug them.

I don't really like running deep on because it did not give me the same results as running the high gain when I experimented with it.

Just my personal preference and we all have our own methods and settings that produce for us.

Bryce --

Very informative and interesting. I'm committing what you said to memory...but one question.

If you run gain at 10, you lose the "quieter" response on deep and/or small targets...obviously, you are saying that is what you WANT -- the deep silver to hit "loudly." Which I fully understand. But I was getting used to, with gain at 8, hearing those more "hushed" tones which lets me know the target is either "small" or "deep" or both -- and to me, there's some good information there, that I therefore don't have to look at my screen to ascertain. You feel that this "loss of information" in terms of depth/size of target info (when running max gain) is worth it, given the offsetting benefits you get in hearing the deep silver. Hmm...maybe I should try gain at 9 -- since you say the clear "dig me" signal is still there, but I could still maintain a LITTLE bit of the size/depth of target information that I was getting used to...

Thoughts?

Steve

Steve to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less:biggrin: about the modulation between shallow and deeper targets because at most of the sites I hunt are devoid of anything less than 7" anyway.

I can also tell you that even with the gain at 10 you can still hear a major difference in signal strength when you come accross a deep coin in the 8" to 10" range.

I don't even need to glance at the septh meter to see if it's deep or shallow because of my gain being set at 10.

Over a real deepie silver with the gain at 10... I get the "sweetest little tinklng warble" that makes my skin crawl. I can just tell it's deep even with gain at 10.

Off to bed now....been a long day.

Bryce --

So, even with gain at 10, you get some "fainter" signals when they are really deep. That does it for me. My gain is going to 9 or 10 on tomorrow's hunt, as an experiment. Besides, how can I resist the call of a "sweet little tinkling warble" of a deep silver!

Thanks Bryce for the education.

Steve

When you run auto sensitivity do you really know what power level you are at say you run auto at 22 the machine picks the power level it believes is best that could be 10,you really don't know, the machine in auto will try to reach the auto power level you pick in auto as close as it can to run stable,but with auto sens. off it runs the level of power you pick could this be the reason you do not hear the deep signals, with auto on ?

Steve...yes you sure can. As I mentioned to you in a private message...I "ain't real good with explainin' stuff in a tec way":bouncy:...but I do the best I can in the way I know.

Trust me...even with your gain at 10...if you go over a deepie...you can tell it's deeper than other stuff you may have been hitting at shallower depths. It's not a night and day difference as it is with gain at 7...but the warble is just a slightly softer sound that cries out "I'm deeper":bouncy:

It just like everything else with the explorers...it will take you some practice...and you will obviously be able to gain the practice needed only by hitting some deeper coins.

You should use whatever settings work for you but I promise you there's no way I would ever run my gain on anything other than 10...unless they come out with an explorer 4 and it has a gain setting that goes to 11:clapping:

Bryce --

You explain things perfectly! Makes total sense!

I ran sensitivity at 9 today, and it did reduce the "modulation," but I could still hear some subtle differences in tone volume. Didn't find a whole lot today, a little clad and a wheat, so I didn't gain a whole lot of experience running the higher setting, but I will work with it for awhile and get used to it.

Explorer 4 w/gain that goes to 11. :lol: Good one!

Thanks Bryce,

Steve

As you can tell we all hunt differently. Take a look at Charles Upstate NY (Charles Keith) and Mike Mourtrays settings and why. Check out http://usetheminelabexplorerlikeapro.blogspot.com/2005/03/chapter-5-gain-setting-advanced.html or Mikes... http://66.51.97.78/coinist/mikemtipspage1.html Some good information. Mike also has posted several screens that shows where various targets may shift to at depths. Worth a read. I think you now have Andys book some of these guys have some information in there as well.

Dew

Mark...back to your original question which I don't think I ever answered through all my babbling.:biggrin:

Yes I personally switch back and forth if the falsing and chirping is just too much to deal with and I feel there is too much of it to properly concentrate on hearing those deep signals.

I think most people do depending on whatever situations they encounter.

I personally notice no depth difference in the two but I do notice it might be a little hotter on tiny objects running in manual.