Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sensitivity Capabilities of the V3

Last week I had the opportunity to return to one of my favorite sites. Although my outing was cut short by swarming mosquitoes ( I absent mindedly put cologne on that morning), I was able to pull a nice circa 1800 button with a great eagle back-mark .

One thing that really has me baffled is just how much more sensitive the V3 is than the DFX to very small targets, especially deep, small iron!

I consider myself to be an advanced V3 and DFX user. In the past while using my DFX I thought the site was relatively clean of trash, but upon returning last week I was amazed at how many deep square nails there were. It seemed like there was iron everywhere! I was detecting with "wide open" discrimination, accepting all targets down to -41, with Mixed Mode on. This is basically the same settings I used with the DFX.

I am not complaining. If I was missing all the deep iron before, it means I was also missing deep targets. The site was an old tavern and has given up many old buttons, and some large copper coins.

Has anyone else noticed the difference with the sensitivity of the V3 compared to other high end detectors?
P5070002.JPG

I can't compare with other detectors, but I have noticed the extreme sensitivity to deep iron. Nails, and stuff have been an occasional highlight to my digging efforts.
I've noticed it more on BB's or shot pellets in wooded area's I hunt, along with small rimfire shells. (that sing out like a great target)

No complaints here either, as I'm always impressed by what you're finding. I don't look for buttons myself, but it seems like a great little extra to be on the look out for.

As for mosquitoes.. I'd rather deal with them than ticks any day. (ick..ticks..make my skin crawl...with my bugaphobia)

Not only deep small iron.

It is insanely sensitive on anything small. I am working a park with the 4x6" that I have been using all my detectors in. Small tiny bits of foil sings out like never before and some even at some depth ( 1-2 inches ). And they ID correctly in the 0-5 VDI range. It really is noticable how sensitive it is.

Havent found any small jewelry yet but I trust an earknob to be seen quite good, small rings will be an easy target it seems.

bfodnes said:
Not only deep small iron.

It is insanely sensitive on anything small. I am working a park with the 4x6" that I have been using all my detectors in. Small tiny bits of foil sings out like never before and some even at some depth ( 1-2 inches ). And they ID correctly in the 0-5 VDI range. It really is noticable how sensitive it is.

Havent found any small jewelry yet but I trust an earknob to be seen quite good, small rings will be an easy target it seems.

Yes, small buttons are being detected at 5 inches plus, and the same outing last week produced a small brass nail not much bigger than a pin at a depth of more than 5 inches!

I too have been going for low conductors and that stuff really sings out! (Wish it was all worth diggin', but it sure is all worth learnin'!)

The big thing that I want is a new pinpointer to help out on these targets! Soon....

Amen on the pinpointer.. I have the whites pinpointer, and at first i didn't think I'd use it very much. Boy was i wrong. It saves a huge amount of time. Used it tonight to find a little bracelet charm. I even found a button tonight. (sorry it's not a very old one)

The pinpointer saves a lot of time and also makes it possible to find those "dissapearing" targets that fall deeper into the hole!

if you're using a 12 coil on the beach how far down should it detect a quarter. what are the depths of the v3i with the 12 in coil?

I don't know about the 12" coil, but I dug a square nail at a foot the other day (measured) with the stock 10" D2, and dug an Indian head penny about 14" deep last fall. Neither was on the beach, though.

robertk said:
I don't know about the 12" coil, but I dug a square nail at a foot the other day (measured) with the stock 10" D2, and dug an Indian head penny about 14" deep last fall. Neither was on the beach, though.

Nice! I can't honestly say I have found any coins deeper than 8 inches yet. But I have been going head to head with the Minelab Etrac and the two seem to be very close in capabilities on deep targets.

Yesterday I pulled a deep wheatie, at 7.5 inches (I actually measured it with a little tape measure) Mostly because I was so surprised I found it. This was with the 5.3 coil I've been using. With RX set to 15. It was more amazing to me at how inconsistent my reading was as it was bouncing all over the place for VDI
I didn't think to try the signagraph (would have been interesting). But when I locked onto it was a strong coin response (green), and the depth on the screen was 7.5.. so it was fun to find. (oh and my little hand held pinpointer helped in that deep hole too, with the little white led light it actually illuminated the coin, besides detecting it)