Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sensitivity in heavy iron

I'm using a sun ray x-5, running no discrimination. Sensitivity in manual around 26. Hunting in heavy iron around old homesites and have had great success with this method in hunted out spots. I recently heard that I need to lower the sensitivity quite a bit as not to over power the machine so to speak. I'm using a SE PRO. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks

That depends on the situation. If the machine is running smooth without chatter your OK if its making to much noise it would help to back her down some. You would be surprised at just how many times I have been at 16 manual. Higher is not always better.

If your not relic hunting, this is how I hunt very trashy areas using my Coiltec JOEY elliptical DD coil....If your in an area where targets are only up to 5 or 6 inches deep, try 18 on the sense, hunt in FERROUS, GAIN 8, use NUMBERS screen and DEEP off and Fast on or off ...your pref. Sense 26 rob power and is going going to combine deeper iron signals with shallower iron signals ...therefore you may not get much of a signal on keeper targets. 12 to 21 (depending on amount of iron trash) may give you a much better coin signal if mixed with iron than a higher 28 sense setting. With DEEP on, the deeper targets will be amplified to sound shallower..shallow targets do not get amplified. DEEP does not mean the machine detects deeper! also try this! If the ground is not super mineralized try setting your NOISE manually to 11 instead of NOISE CANCELING. If you get too much noise (hold coil up in the air) turn to 10 or 9 or 8 etc. till noise is gone and sounds are silent. If it is silent in 10 or 11 this will pick out silver better. As you go down the NOISE scale to one.. 1 is better for gold. [11 silver/1 gold] NOTE; Using AUTO SENSE in very trashy ground will take too long to adjust and recover between close targets and you will miss keepers! I seldom use FAST because I am good at jiggling the coil.. If you have great ears use fast if it works for you. These opinions seem to work for me and I am in no way an expert.. I have only been using Explorers since 2002. It will take a couple more years before I can master this machine. I believe the Explorers and the SE are the best all around machines ever made! HH and GL ;)