Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sensitivity to small gold

A

Anonymous

Eric, I noticed on your Deepstar specs page you list the probable depths for various targets like a US nickel, gold ring, quarter, etc.
Is it safe to assume that the Deepstar, modified Surfmasters, etc. that are tuned to lower conductivity metals would be less sensitive to higher conductivity things like clad coins, silver, copper, etc.? Seems to me that if you could go 14" on a nickel, it would stand to reason that you could get 20" on a quarter or thereabouts, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I assume it has to do with a specific decay window, is that indeed the case?
If that is the case, I assume that there would also be a median pulse rate, etc. that would cut out the amount of clad and other junk that would be detected, leaving mostly just lower conductivity items through.
Just rambling on here, trying to understand how everything fits together.
-J

Jeff,
They would be more sensitive to higher conductive metals. Real silver coins sound off a lot deeper, and stronger than clad quarters. The higher the conductivity, the more the response. Clad coins because of there mixture of metals loose their conductivity. Mixing copper, and silver together does not make the conductivity stay the same, it drops down.
Just because the quarter is larger does not mean that the quarter would be detected at a greater range than the nickel. I haven