Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Seriously considering a GPX 5000

Hey everyone! Im really debating on purchasing a GPX 5000. I really need the depth advantage to detect those coins and relics in my area. There are a lot of detectorists that have lived in my area over the past 30 years or so. Most areas have been wiped clean near the surface. I have realized that most users own a cheaper detector (mostly bounty hunters or cheaper Whites units). I have went over the same ground with a more expensive unit (White's MXT Pro) and did pretty well! I have yet to find any silver or gold yet... Im really thinking that the depth advantage of the GPX 5000 would be sufficient in my area because the ground here is not that bad at all. Im also very interested in gold prospecting in the central Virginia area. I have attempted to use my old MXT Pro on that ground but the soil was hard to track although I was picking up pennies just below the surface. I think the PI advantage would help me find some gold.

Is there any possibility in continually trading top of the line detectors in on the next newest top of the line detector? I really think it would be cool to own the top of the line detector and be one of the first to test them out. If there's one thing I love, it's testing new detectors!

If any of you have any input here to help me decide, please let me know!

Was there a question in there somewhere? Is there a possibility of constantly trading in new detectors? Sure, any dealer will help you with that. Sell your old one and buy a new one or ask the dealer for a trade in value. I usually upgrade certain units immediately. If Minelab came out with a GPX 6000 tomorrow I would be first in line. But of course it can get expensive.

Some well known detectorists will get chosen by a manufacturer to test a new detector. I have done that a time or two. I do not think however it is something you can ask for as much as it is offered. I am sure everyone and their brother would be asking if that is all it took. Surprisingly, these days I am a tad less interested in testing new machines as I was in the past. They usually seem to be done by the time one gets to me so what is the point? I am more interested in early product development than just patting someone on the back for a job well done - especially if it was not.

But back to the GPX 5000. In your case it pretty much boils down to can you afford one and do you want one. I can't say if it will do you any good or not based on your post. Of course it will find stuff for you, maybe more than you want. Remember you get little in the way of discrimination with a PI so deep junk is par for the course.

If you want to get a feel for what it is like, put your MXT in prospecting mode and just go out for a few days and dig everything. No discrimination, just dig all the targets you can. A VLF in all metal mode actually gets close to PI depths along with all the same issues - you generally dig it all. If that makes you some good finds and seems fun then by all means get a GPX 5000.

Well I was hoping someone would jump on here and kinda push my decision in one direction or another. You did just what I was hoping. Thanks for the helpful comment! I was also unaware that I would have to dig nearly everything. In other words, I guess I would be better off detecting with a top of the line VLF detector then a top of the line PI detector unless somehow discrimination becomes available. In some areas, I guess the discrimination wouldnt really matter as long as their wasnt much trash. Unfortunately most areas where I was wanting to use the GPX 5000, has lots of trash...

Thanks again for the helpful comment!

All I can say is I have found some real nice relic with the 5000 at DIV. And there are a lot of other machines hunting the same ground. It is so deep in the red hot soil in Va. You will need a better and sharper shovel if and when you buy the 5000. I dug a one piece Va. button at 17 inches and that was on the second day after that hill side was hunted by many folk's with many other machines. Just check out DIV site and see what folk's found and with which detector. Hope this helps.

Buy the 5K reverse the tones and dig all low volume high tones you get!

It is killer in the parks as all small deep coins will come back high tone.

Walk past all low tone and loud high tones, dig just the low volume high tones.

Imo if you just dug low tones all day with a pi I'm sure you'll be missing out on other valuable finds. Gold rings for starters . They can be hi or low tones . So really you should listen to the size of the tone. Short sharp hits short mellow tones . And basically dig everything with a pi ... get a vlf for disk . The e-trac would be the pick or the 3030 .

Invert the tones this will get all deep or small targets ie coins in the high tone sound range.

It's not perfect but it will get coins in a worked out park!

It works for me like the 1831 half dime!

If you want to find everthing you got to dig everything or use the above to find old coins!

Great advice X-Terra, Sounds like a killer tone setup for deep coins. Many are used to high pitch for high conductive, this setup allows that.

Thanks!
Paul (Ca)