Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Seriously considering getting a Deus

DirtFishingDude

I have read done some reading, reviews and read through the manual. I am on the fence though. I am not seeing a way to backup and restore settings to/from computer or mobile device. Am I just missing it or are there plans for upgrade to facilitate backup/modify/restore of program settings via computer and/or mobile device?

You can save your settings on the deus itself. Once you get more acquainted with the deus you can set one up in no time from scratch. The screens are layed out nicely and are super easy to navigate. You could hand me yours once you get it and I could set it up for my desired hunting site in less than 4 minutes. Trust me the deus is more user friendly from a setup standpoint than any other of the higher end/cost detectors. And to top that off, the updates that XP has provided have been so easy to install. The folks at XP are dead serious it seems about customer support. By the way I have the following detectors: Minelab CTX, White's V3i, Deus, Fisher F75Se. The deus is compact, lightweight, easy to set up once you understand what the setting(s) actually does, easy to read display in sun or shade or darkness, handles EMI well, 5 year warranty and you should never need a harness to offset the weight when using the stock coil. Good luck in your decision.

See page 22 in the owners manual; http://xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Users-manual-DEUS-3.0.pdf

If you make changes in the existing programs they will default back to the original version when you turn the detector off.

Thanks for your thoughts. You bring up many good points that have also ocurred to me in reading the materials. I am impressed by weight and recovery speed reviews and many other features. I am a bit concerned about having to ship to an authorized dealer for coil battery replacement though... but back to the settings. Looks like there are plenty of user program slots to load up and name. Is it possible to load up/change settings in user programs using only the remote, or does the coil need to be linked when doing so? I would agree that the menus seem very intuitive and logical, but in the field my memory fails me sometimes, especially for settings seldom changed.

I am primarily a Whites guy and have hunted with my DFX for many years with great success. The V3i seems to have only a few improvements, but not a significant jump over the DFX. Plus IMO color screens do not seem to be the way to go due to power consumption and viewing condition issues. I also have a Minelab Explorer II, which is a good machine, but way too heavy. I don't think the ETRAC or CTX are any lighter.

The battery can be changed yourself if you want. It seems there are several deus operators in UK that have run the poo poo out of their detectors and are still on the original battery. Something like 4 years plus. The batteries would be my least concern. Just be sure to properly handle the charging clip when applying to coil. An extra charging clip wouldn't be a bad idea at all and a car charger might help too if you travel a lot to detect. The battery changing instructions can be found on internet. I wouldn't doubt come 2-4 years there will be many more deus dealers around the US. And it wouldn't surprise me if they themselves don't get into the battery installation business. I think right now the battery is 40-50 dollars. That's really not too much to pay if you can get 3-5 years of use out of one. The li-pro batteries for the White's and Minelabs cost considerably more.

DirtFishingDude said:
Thanks for your thoughts. You bring up many good points that have also occurred to me in reading the materials. I am impressed by weight and recovery speed reviews and many other features. I am a bit concerned about having to ship to an authorized dealer for coil battery replacement though... but back to the settings. Looks like there are plenty of user program slots to load up and name. Is it possible to load up/change settings in user programs using only the remote, or does the coil need to be linked when doing so? I would agree that the menus seem very intuitive and logical, but in the field my memory fails me sometimes, especially for settings seldom changed.

It amazes me how issues that are non-issues seem to keep coming up as deal breakers in deciding to buy a Deus or not. The coil battery is the perfect example.

First, you have a 5 year warranty with the detector as of 1/1/13 so the cost is covered

Second, most of the hunters in Europe and the UK that bought their Deus in 2009 are still on the original battery - that says a lot

Third, you can replace it yourself and as long as you are careful with the seal it will remain waterproof.

So the concern that you might have to send the coil in years down the road to have a repair that will be done in 48 hours or less being a deal breaker is a little bit of a stretch.

With 18 months of heavy use on mine, the battery holds a charge as well as it did when I bought it and shows no sign of having an issue in the near future

As far as the settings . . . . I can setup a Deus in under 2 minutes with no presets . . . it is really the easiest to navigate through and set. You can make adjustments on the remote with no coil in range (some settings such as Freq Offset and TX Power will not be selectable without the coil), save them and when you get near the coil and . or headphones, the new settings will be flashed to the other components

I think that understanding what each function does is essential with any machine - especially the V3i and DFX as misadjusting a setting can seriously impact depth and performance. With the Deus, it is pretty simple to gain that understanding and then tweak it for specific site conditions

Andy

I, have the same memory problems as you regarding program settings and the Deus is much more easy to remember what setting adjustments to make and can be done in seconds. Good luck in you decision.

Some time ago I downloaded how to chanhge the battery oneself it was very easy if you follow the ditrections which from memory were I think on youtube. I am sure XP can give you that link also,I hope that helps.regards. Bryan

try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bND5Ius163o&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for everyone's responses!!!

Coil battery replacement is definitely not a deal breaker, I just hate to package and ship a machine for any reason. I'm sure that I could probably do it myself, but I hope it wouldn't void my warranty for the machine... I average 9-20 hours a week on the dirt for 8 or so months of the year. Guess that's not extreme use, but it's not light use either. I love that new little red Li-Ion battery I have for my DFX. Two hour charge for 35 or so hours on the dirt.

NOTE: I did read that the warranty had been extended from two to five years starting 2013/01/01; however; batteries, chargers and connectors still have a 2 year warranty. (pg. 60 of manual)

I will probably be calling my "local" distributor tomorrow, or maybe I will just request my own distributorship!! :bouncy: My local distributor is either one state over or one state up.

DirtFishingDude said:
Perfect Andy! If I can perfect my tweaks with just the remote and update the coil later... perfect!

My daughter and I just went to Florida and I created several land and beach programs for her to use on a Deus using the remote in the car on the way down in no time - when she put on the headphones and grabbed the coil, everything worked like it shouuld have including when she opted to run with just the headphones and leave the controller in th car with a possible afternoon shower expected.