Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Service Problem

AK in KY

I sent my EX back to the factory a week ago. Here is the problem, while searching in IM 16, Audio 1, Ferrous, manual sens@22, gain 7, threshold 8 if the coil is not moved all I hear is the threshold. As soon as I start to move the coil, threshold is gone and I hear a loud hum similar to the pin point sound. Lowing the sens or running in auto does not help. If I run in the factory preset it works fine.
The guy I have been talking to at Minelab has an accent and is hard for us to understand each other.(being from KY I'm sure he thinks I have an accent too) He says he cannot hear the hum. I guess the problem could have resolved itself but I doubt that it did.

1)Does anyone have an idea what is going on with the detector?

2) I used to speak with someone else at the factory and can't recall his name, I think he may be the boss of the guy I have been speaking with. Does anyone know his name?

Thanks for any help.

AK in KY

I think you have used the Explorer long enough to know if it actually has a problem. My first take was it does not from how you explained what was going on. However, the code can be messed up so there is a software problem, I don't think the coil could cause the problem you describe, and I have been inside of the box of an Explorer and they use surface mount technology for the most part so that just about means replacing the entire circuit card if there is a problem there.

However, they will take good care of you and do more than just turn it on and mess with it. They can use test equipment to check the operation and know if there is or not a problem. I would expect they will not take a chance on sending it out with a problem so take the necessary steps to see that you get a good working machine.

Hi AK !

May I make a suggestion?

The possible cause of your problem may be, that you're using NO IRON MASKING at all !!.........I.M. of 16 is ZERO IRON MASK. If the ground you're searching has a high ferrous content, then you will indeed lose threshold tone and hear the 'low tone' associated with any ferrous items nearby.

The fact that using a factory pre-set enables the machine to run normally implies that the problem is operator error.

Using Ferrous audio, AND no Iron mask,(I.M.16) makes that mode virtual ALL METAL .........MattR(UK)

Good point. But, the problem just started a few weeks ago although I had made no changes. When the MD detectes iron the sound is different than the loud hum.

Thanks
AK in KY

MattR, good to see your post. I just suggested to someone on the forum that they get in contact with you on some technical questions they had.

Hope all is going well and look forward to your input.

would have produced those LOW TONES, with a relevant location of the cross hair on the screen or the relevant DIGITAL(number)readout(if either were used)if you were passing the coil over iron. It also means that if SOUNDS CONDUCT was used then that sound would be a constant high tone with the cross hairs toward the area on the screen(top left) usually to indicate for when IRON is present under the coil.

I to, do'n t think the problem is with the detector in this case.

It would be rare for it to be the Explorers' electronics if you've been careful. You would have to have really abused the Explorer before it would have given out(dunking in water or droping from a decent height or using it for world tittle Javelin event does not help. There are also many other "un natural" ways to cause Explorer a problem, but I won't go to much into that)

David Di :thumbup:ebay.com.au

Mattr

After talking with Dick S. at Minelab I think your answer was exactly right. I must have made some change along the line that I did not recall which made the hum start.

Thanks for your input.

AK in KY