Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Setting advice and Target VDI #

rockpup1

Haven't been out on a good park hunt for some time.Its been so dry and its so hard on the lawns trying to recover targets.It rained today and a good soaking.Time to hunt.

I been using a disc setting of 40 and for the most part 95-100 gain on my gold bug pro with 5" coil.I do ok but dont seem to find any silver only one this year and it was detstoryed/flattened and a hole put in it? weird?

I only dig 40 and higher tragets for it really cuts down on my trash.Allmost every ring I have tested registers higher than this Im comfortable doing this.But this is air testing and in the ground targets may register lower VDI numbers? Maybe I should be digging 33 and up?

I have been trying all metal in cleaner areas and diggin 40 up on the chart.I like the background thershold sound not a fan of silent search mode.This requires me to have alot of patient
and alot of the times i don't.

Just wondering what the sucessfull silver hunters are using for settings adn what kind of depth are others getting with the 5" coil.

Very little experience on my GB Pro (5" coil) but I've been out a couple of times to a local (and very trashy) park. I played around with the Discrimination setting and found setting it at 60 or so eliminated almost everything but numerous clad dimes, several quarters, and two Susan B's. I don't advocate this because you'll miss good finds; just got tired of tabs, caps, and foil. I'm still getting used to the high/low tones and beginning to use lower settings in Discrimination mode. I have to turn down the gain in this park to about half or it chatters too much. I do like an audible threshold and I think it goes back 30 years to my old coinmaster that squealed like a pig over real silver. I like to get a sense of the ground as I pass over it and that takes a bit of threshold.
The clad VDI readings for me are often all over the map unless it's 90% silver and so far those are just in my air and ground testing.