Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Setting pinpoint correctly...

samandnoah

Hey Andy --

In the 11" coil thread there was a question, and I had made a comment regarding pinpointing with the 9" coil. To summarize for others, I said that if there are objects close together (under the coil) that I can't always get a very good pinpoint. I don't have that issue frequently, and I do find the pinpointing to be excellent, but, for example, if there is an aluminum can underground and it is under the coil while trying to find a good target, I'm not sure I'm zeroing in on the good target.

Your response was, "If you are not finding the pinpoint function effective it sounds like you have not adjusted the pinpoint mode correctly . . . . it is touchy but set correctly, it works like a champ"

At least one other person asked what you meant by "set it correctly", and I sure would like to know, too! Is there something else besides making sure you turn on pinpoint not over a target? That I know/understand.

Thanks!
Rich

Sorry . . . been slammed and time got away from me :ranting:

The Pinpoint or Non-Motion circuit actually has 4 modes that can be used . . . . the basic one with the rectangle that gets more dark (OK, poor English) as you get over the target. If you make sure you are not over a metal object when you switch to it, it does a decent job helping to zero in on targets.

The NON MOTION DISC mode is one that I would avoid as it has no ground compensation available in its adjustment.

The one I tend to use is the NON MOTION AUDIO DISC and in order to get the true performance out of it, you need to adjust it properly and in the right sequence . . . . start with setting the GB value followed by the SENSITIVITY and finally the TUNE. The manual is not the best in terms of how to do the adjustments but when you get it set, it will really help zero in on targets and allow you to separate trash from keepers by the sound. Page 54 in the book covers the process . . . if someone wants me to explain it here as well let me know.

The NON MOTION ALL METAL is another option that provides ground compensation but no discrimination or audio identification . . . . and it also requires the proper sequence to be set properly (same as the NM AUDIO DISC mode)

I hope this clarifies the question . . . . . let me know if more details are desired.

Andy

Thanks for the clarification, Andy. Got it. I've been so focused on the regular programs that I haven't really explored the pinpointing alternatives. Therefore, I've only been using the basic Pinpoint or Non-Motion version. I'll look it up for this weekend and give it a shot.
Best,
Rich

Try the coil drag back method. Its much faster and more accurate way to pin point. At least for me.

Thanks Bart. Does that work for you in trashy areas? I can (and do) use that sometimes. I find it very effective with my AT Pro (with the 5" x 8" coil) because it is narrower, but I find that with the Deus I often end up on top of another target using that method.
Rich

I seldom use the pinpoint mode. I wiggle the coil back. You get a 2-fer. When the signal quits the target should be right at the tip of the coil...If the signal goes wonky at the end of the drag instead of just cutting off you can be pretty sure it's trash. Sometimes I miss so today I used the PP on every dig. The standard PP had the target perfectly each time. Still faster to do the drag/wiggle for me.