Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

setting up the 705

harryh31

I find myself getting very frustrated when trying to set up my 705.
In the small manual that comes with the machine the icons are black on a grey background and extremely difficult to read.
There doesn't seem to be any set pattern or sequence to set the machine too.
I have tried to use the downloaded manual by Randy Horton, this is a very comprehensive and detailed manual and I would say it could not be improved upon,
however, to me its far to complicated for an aged beginner trying to start simple first... and then progress with the manual and machine as one goes along.
Lets assume I want to detect on the dry sand on the beach, searching for coins and jewellery, what settings and in what order would any one recommend I use.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, (I'll master the damn thing if it kills me)

x-terra 705
10.5" double D 7.5 kHz coil
6" double D 18.75 kHz coil
joan allen pro-hunter headphones
whites 120 mm bullseye 11 pinpointer

The first thing that I do when I get to a site and get started, is turn the Sensitivity all the way up and Noise Cancel. I want the machine to be as sensitive as it can be to choose the absolute best noise cancel channel.
Then I leave the Sensitivity turned up to Ground Balance it, regardless of whether I do so manually or use Tracking. I do this for the same reason as when noise cancelling. I want it to be as sensitive as possible to ground conditions when balancing.
The last thing that I do is turn the Sensitivity down to where the machine runs stable. Turn it down one click at a time. Some minor tweaking may be required after that, but again, only one click at a time.

I would also add that one of the biggest things is to sweep slowly. Too fast, and it can easily cause falsing. So if you start experiencing random beeps, check your sweep speed before turning the Sensitivity down more.

Perhpas it would be good to do a factory reset, and then just set it to beach mode, and go hunting. That way you get to use it for a bit without getting frustrated with changing settings. Just because you can make all those changes doesn't mean you should. Just sayin'...

Thanks for both replies.
If I do a factory reset and then set it in beach mode ....do I still have to ground balance and set sensitivity etc....or is that a sort of switch on and go sort of thing.

You still have to go through the process. However, Beach Mode is Beach Tracking.
It's really only of use if you're on a salt beach, because part of what it does is limit the effective GB setting to low single digits. On a freshwater beach it's a detriment.

I would be on a salt water beach but on the dry sand, that is if you consider sand that has been covered by the sea and the tide has gone out, to be dry sand ?????

I have used the 705 here on the beach (dry sand only) in Florida three to four times a week for 5 years now.
I auto GB at 27, sens 21, 4 tone, AM and no beach mode or tracking.
I use the HF Elliptical coil because of it's light weight and that it can get in, around and under all the beach chairs and cabana rentals that I like to hunt, but it is also great on the open beach. I have no problem hitting coins, gold and silver rings several inches down with this coil.
When I get to the beach its turn on and go..........
The 4 tone works for me, the VID is great for coin ID 90% of the time and the arrows do give me a good depth indication. For the most part, all of my hunting is fresh drops, this is why I rely on VID a lot and the loudness of the tone......from experience, I don't always dig it all. I also have no need to PP, I usually just narrow down the swing till the target is centered. No need to dig deep or carry a scoop either, I can foot dig my targets 99% of the time checking the sand moved with a coil pass over the hole or the excavated mound of sand for the target. I then use my fingers to rake the sand to retrieve the target. If needed, I use a knife like planters trowel to dig, but this is very seldom because my beaches are raked every other day so the sand that is used the most by beach goers is always loose and soft.

Right !!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am finally getting somewhere, one final question.......when I have set the machine correctly for either farm land or beach .....and then finish detecting for the day and switch off.........
if i go back to the same spot on the next day and switch on the machine , will the 705 automatically return to the same settings I was using on the previous day.

For the most part...yes.
If you were hunting the previous outing in All Metal, then when turned on again it will be in the last C/T disc pattern used. Otherwise it will be as you left it when switched off.

Could you please clarify for me that you turn sensitivity all the way up, then manually ground balance, even if you then go to Tracking GB? or do you go right to tracking GB?
Thanks,
Homebre from Hillsborough

Either, but with the Sensitivity turned up initially. That way it will be as accurate as possible.
In EXTREMELY hot soil conditions you don't necessarily need to turn it up to max, because then you risk the "high beams in fog" scenario. But under most circumstances where typical GB is higher than single digits, it's what I do.