Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shallow vs Deep Targets

pjroo3

I posted this idea in the "wish list" section but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I know most people will disagree with me on this one but I would like to have the ability to silence the detector on shallow targets. I know a lot of good targets are within the first couple of inches, but at many of my really historic sites, the majority of my keepers are 4" plus. I would like to either silence the shallow targets or have tone differences (i.e. low tone for shallow targets and high tone for deep non ferrous targets).

I know I can simply listen for the whispers, but sometimes I feel like I am missing the deep targets as I am passing over SO MANY shallow and loud targets. Some of my sites warrant digging the shallow targets but others have only been productive at depth.

Am I alone in this thinking????

This has been discussed with XP and it is on the board . . . . for those that have been hunting for a few decades :shrug:, remember the old Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro? It had a Blanker switch that would allow you to pass up shallow targets (4" or less).

Will be interesting to see what comes down the road with the Deus . . . .

Andy

I remember those Andy! Tesoro also had one in their Royal Sabre...it was called a surface blanker and...like the BH...it could be adjusted to 4". I have the Royal sabre and the blanker worked well in some of the older areas. I think the Deus would benefit as well.

Charles

Andy Sabisch said:
This has been discussed with XP and it is on the board . . . . for those that have been hunting for a few decades :shrug:, remember the old Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro? It had a Blanker switch that would allow you to pass up shallow targets (4" or less).

Will be interesting to see what comes down the road with the Deus . . . .

Andy

Andy - I would LOVE to see this added to the Deus. Why do you think this feature isn't seen on detectors today? Was it not well received?? I know many people hunt historic sites that have been used for decades if not centuries. The ability to silence/discriminate shallow trash and only see the deeper targets would be a HUGE benefit.

Well I can tell you my fingers are crossed that XP will add this feature to the Deus!!!

Garrett had one on their cxIII and maybe on the one that showed a size pic of the target, don't know what model number it was. Golden oldies.....

Big Boys Hobbies said:
I find that lots of gold is usually shallow. Dont want to pass that up!

I would agree that most gold is found at fairly shallow depths (i.e. tot lots/parks). I would still like to have the option of discriminating out the surface finds. I typically hunt very historic sites so gold is one of the last things on my mind. These finds are from a 2 hr hunt before the snow hit. Tons of surface trash and I REALLY had to listen closely for the faint signals. These finds were the usual 4" plus.