Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sharp Shooter II Volume Question

hunkadinka

Hello everyone: I haven't "spoken" to TH'ers since before I sold my Teknetics Mark I Ltd over 5 years ago. Now, because my wife and I are planning to drive to Miami next spring and we might detour to Sebastian Inlet, I've decided to buy a metal detector and, as we speak, I'm waiting for a reply from someone who is offering a SSII which I've decided to get due to it being allegedly able to detect on wet sand without going bananas. Otherwise, I was considering a Pioneer 2002, a Quick Draw 2, or a model which looks like a Titian. My reason for one of these beauties is that unlike most detectors out there, regardless of price, Bounty Hunter employs notching which I always used on my Teknetics to find nickels while on discrimination.

What I don't see on the Bounty Hunters (or the other brand detectors) is a volume control and I'm wondering how you guys/gals deal with this. Is there only one level of volume and if there is, is it loud enough to hear over close-by traffic, or the beach noises, etc. Is the volume loud enough where in quieter areas one can use earphones/headphones/earbuds with a loudness control to turn it down? Does one need an earphone amplifier? And on, and on.

Most detectors now have no volume control...I have volume control in my headphones, and yes I have made an amplifier that will bring up the volume from my Land Star...It can get hard to hear without headphones in loud places...I do not use headphones when hunting at night, but during the day, they are a must most places I hunt. Will have to do some looking around to see in any detectors actually have a volume control...

BH-LandStar

[quote BH-LandStar]Most detectors now have no volume control...I have volume control in my headphones, and yes I have made an amplifier that will bring up the volume from my Land Star...It can get hard to hear without headphones in loud places...I do not use headphones when hunting at night, but during the day, they are a must most places I hunt. Will have to do some looking around to see in any detectors actually have a volume control...

BH-LandStar[/quote]

When I was actively detecting up until 2002, I had a DEPTH MASTER CHAMPION plugged into my Teknetics Mark I Ltd but it turned out to be overkill as my detector had plenty of volume and I rarely had it on to maximum. So many claims were made for the CHAMPION that I got curious. Eventually sold it. On top of that, because my Teknetics produced various tones, the CHAMPION used to produce some strange head sensations, similar to an LSD effect! But I'm interested in how you made your amplifier. Can you provide details, including cost? You don't have to look far to find detectors with volume controls but the majority seem to have eliminated it.

The amplifier was a simple LM386 design...Plug it into your phones jack, have enough cord to put the box in your pocket, or permanantly mount the box to your detector with 2 sheet metal screws through the stem, and replace the speaker with a jack for your headphones....
Follow the link below:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/audioamps.html#LM386

Enjoy,

BH-LandStar

[quote BH-LandStar]The amplifier was a simple LM386 design...Plug it into your phones jack, have enough cord to put the box in your pocket, or permanantly mount the box to your detector with 2 sheet metal screws through the stem, and replace the speaker with a jack for your headphones....
Follow the link below:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/audioamps.html#LM386

Enjoy,

BH-LandStar[/quote]

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I admire you for your ability to understand circuits but I'm going to pass on it as it is as complicated as reading music! I'll just look at the meter whenever I find myself in a noisy area and the audio doesn't come up to snuff.

Edward

If you sent me about $10.00...I could build one and mail it to you...I find most detectors with a good set of headphones do not need it, but I am 25% deaf in both ears from 4 year in the Army flying in Helicopters and firing weapons without using ear protection...I used to hate anything in my ears...I regret it now...
Let me know in email...BTW I live in Syracuse, NY.

BH-LandStar

rlemp@twcny.rr.com

My little Discovery 2200 has a speaker and headphone jack. It was easy to hear at the beach, but I am getting a set of blue tooth headphones with adjustable volume [radio shacks finest]. A couple of buddies have them [no issues so far].