Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sharpshooter coil on the F70...Full review

REVIER

Impressions of my new Nel Sharpshooter coil....

I think I am going to love this thing.
First hunt opened my eyes, hope it keeps surprising me and I will give it a chance because it will stay mounted on my F70 for the foreseeable future.

Packaging...came with everything needed, the coil, pin, rubber grommets that fit in my bottom shaft which I never used before but sure keeps the coil stable.
Also has a protective cap for the cable end when not in use and coil cover.

Mounted easily, ears are good thick quality and spaced exactly right, the connection is dead center of the coil and under this area is the sweet spot for pinpointing.
Weight, extremely light, like nothing is on the end of my stick and can't really tell any difference from my 5" DD round Fisher sniper.

Performance...
VDI numbers are exactly the same as on my Fisher coils, the tones on all tone choices including all metal was very familiar so no new learning curve when switching to this brand.
Signals on good targets seemed to be sharp, there is a difference I noticed between my Fisher DD coils and the elliptical concentric when it comes to tones in all the multi ton choices...3-4H, plus DP.
The concentric is, for lack of a better word, "sweeter", a different response especially when swinging over jewelry and specifically the high tone types.
Don't know or expect this one to have that quality and I did run my coil over some very tiny silver on this first hunt but I was in monotone.
Still, on this one and another nickel target there was jumping as there always is on most of my targets in my challenging soil but something in the tone on both of these sounded great so I dug them.
I actually dug a little more trash than usual on this hunt for two reasons.
One, I just wanted to see a range of target behavior on this coil and two, I recently realized I have been missing a few great targets that acted more jumpy than my old rule parameters said I should dig so I am doing a little more jumpy, deeper target recoveries anyway.
Most everything I dug that was trash I suspected was trash except that nickel I mentioned...not old but a 64 and had been here the whole time I have been hunting this area.
This was dug in an area I had been over literally a hundred times or more and I keep hitting it because I have found some great older targets here in the past.
In this particular small area I have dug lots of extra trash in the past too because you never know plus to clear out any masking metal.
It has been awhile since I found anything good here but yesterday I got a signal that had some decent higher numbers in the 70's with a few drops lower, a few to iron.
Everything up averages here as you get deeper so even a normal 32 nickel can soar into the 70's to low 90's if it is past 3" deep.
There were three pieces of iron surrounding this 4" deep coin at 11, 2 and 6 o'clock, all within about 2-3" away from this nickel.
If I would have gotten this signal before I would have dug it within all my rules past or present and I am not sure why I did not get the same behavior using my Fisher sniper coil here in the past but evidently I just never did.
Could have been a fluke but I like to think the coil had something to do with it.
Even though it is longer than my other sniper the target separation seems at least as good if not better than the Fisher, I can't explain why I would get these better dig me signals on this nickel and small piece of silver any other way because I can guarantee you I had been over these exact spots before with several coils but never got signals that made me dig them.

So target separation and recovery speed is excellent on this coil but that is more of a function of the F70 as much as the coil I would think.
Even in my heavy iron the little larger surface area and scanning field does not seem to be a hindrance.

Pinpoints like a dream using the pinpoint button...exactly under coil center where the rod attaches every time at all depths.

The wiggle and pull back method to pinpoint targets at the edge of the coil works well also and this method also ID's those high tone pop tops very well...and so does all other pop top ID techniques like lifting the coil while swinging and sliding the center of the coil over the target.

Depth seems great, got a few signals down to 6" on this hunt that I dug, just junk, but I have been able to reach down to 8", maybe 9", on a few rarer, deeper good targets in this mess and I don't think this one will have a problem hitting that mark or maybe even deeper but I will have to find a few things at those depths to be sure.
At 4-7" there seems to be a whole lot of great targets left in my sites, extremely masked targets which is why they were not culled long ago but they are there so that is my prime depth areas I aim for usually.
If this can reach that 8" or even deeper area that would be wonderful but as I said those are rare.

The little silver I found was like the nickel, in an area in front of an old rock bench I have scanned a million times but never got a signal using any coil I would have gone after...and in this part of the park I have also been doing a lot of cleaning for the last year and a half.
Most everything here that I suspect us not iron gets dug over time, lots of iron too, so as I said I would have dug this in the past but never did.
Very tiny, the head off of a tennis racket charm, silver on my first hunt with this coil is good luck, the fact that it was sensitive enough to pick the thing up and give me good enough indicators to dig it is exactly why I decided to try an aftermarket coil and what I hoped might happen.
Again, could have been a fluke but this time, using this coil, I found it easily.

One of the best things about this coil is how it handles EMI.
In their information this company mentions that this coil is well shielded and handles medium to high mineralization very well.
Could just be hype but I hoped both of these were true because my sites are all about these two issues.
Mineralization most everywhere, lots of extra iron too and EMI is different in many sites.
I use the F70 with no DST noise cancelling shielding, I can hunt on higher noisier settings easily because over the years I have trained myself to do that if I choose, I can also set up very quiet combinations that still work well and get me deep enough but I tend to use blasted out all metal or higher sense and thresh in disc around here more often than not for a specific reason...using these top Fishers, probably the T2 and new Patriot also, resolution on targets around iron is better using higher settings than low.
This is programmed into these things and totally opposite of normal thinking about using less gain and/or thresh in heavy iron...the high beam headlights not working in the fog theory.
I can say after using this thing in good soil but in crazy amounts of iron, and especially in this state with the iron oxide infused dirt and all the extra iron pieces this is definitely true.
I have found more great targets in heavy iron of all kinds using high settings vs low so I tend to push it more often than not when I hunt.

Using this coil the affect of EMI was, surprising.
I had to change my settings here and there as I moved around this park, not every area was the same but overall I was able to turn it up at least as high of not higher than my normal settings and it stayed quieter...much quieter in some areas than normal for me.
This is another advantage, it could help me find more and at noise levels that are less mentally fatiguing if I listen to them for a decent amount of time.
These two vids are just showing some settings I tried and switched between showing the effect.
This is a difficult site to hunt but a great one because it was a very popular entrance area to this park that probably dates back to the mid 20's.
Had to be scoured by every hunter in this town since detectors were invented, I had been over this area a ton and never found much...at first, but as I learned how to hunt better in this difficult dirt and deal with the iron and masking I started to find some great things here, buffs, silver dimes, flat buttons and more.
One of those rare deep targets was found here also, an 1880's V nickel at least 7-8" deep and found with the Fisher sniper.
All the normal challenges in this small site, red dirt, extra iron, but also a couple other things.
There are the remains of a trolley track running right up the middle and not really deep because I hit it once.
The bigger problem is EMI.
There is a fire station with Wi-Fi on one side, a house with Wi-Fi on the other and the site is surrounded by power wires.
I have used all kinds of settings to combat this but the higher ones are usually pretty noisy being surrounded by all these wires and that Wi-Fi.
Watch the vids...the first one I am standing just outside the site but still near those wires.
On the second vid I am sitting right in the middle surrounded by all of it...the eye of the storm as it were.
This might be my most favorite thing about this coil, how it handles EMI so well...or seems to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4qOnUxoO0v8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTTcM7RnmY&feature=youtu.be

Still more hunting to do, hopefully lots of shocks and surprises coming my way, good ones, but even though just a short time spent with it this accessory from what I have seen so far just might end up to be one of my most potent weapons in the arsenal to hunt in this devil dirt.
Glad I got this thing, it will be living on the end of my lower rod for awhile I can assure you.

Very good report on a very good coil. I have the Sharpshooter on my F75 and my F19. Great coil with great separation, very good depth and it handles EMI better than my three Fisher coils. I use it in my trashy parks and it is my favorite coil and stays on my detectors.

great report looking forward to giving my new f70 a whirl never used one but seems close to the T2SE only have the mall 3x6 coil now but will locate a sharpshooter coil for it and a NEL hunter coil as well I have owned both for my Tesoros and they work very well

Thanks all, just honest observations.
Can't say as yet that the thing is way better at finding targets than my existing FIsher coils, I have done really well with them up to this point, but I am seriously thinking the real headline here is handling the EMI stuff better.
With quieter operation I can use more settings that might affect my finds volume positively, and at the very least enjoy my time hunting more.

Went out today on a short hunt in the same park at a few different places, same thing...I was able to use pretty high gain, SL speed, even busted the thresh up into between +4 and 7 a few times and it didn't stay quiet everywhere but most areas it did.

Throughout the hunt I did get some indications of a few deeper signals.
Nothing great, most were just iron but a few times I got some depth readings of 8" and one I remember was at sense 75, thresh -2 and SL speed.
Once I saw the number 9 and that is unusual around here.
Didn't dig .most of those deep ones because they were in areas where the the dirt was dried out and too hard to dig but we have rain coming in tomorrow maybe and if it is a soaker I might try to get deeper the next day and find out what these were.

Much more to try and hopefully more to find so my journey continues.

This was cool...

In an old park, mostly clad, some junk jewelry, but there is a volleyball court with no net, not sure if it is even used anymore.
In the vid i mention not much mineralization but I still GB'd at 59-60 in this thing.
Switched to all metal, sense and thresh turned up to max plus SL.
Disc on program 1 was sense at 75, thresh at -2, monotone and I believe DE speed.

Hunted in all metal, got a few coins, a quarter and a couple of cents, from 3-6", all solid sounding but a bit jumpy in the VDI's, still, as long as it wasn't iron I was digging it.
The 6" coins both all metal and disc hit it hard, on this deep nickel, also up averaged to the 50's to the 70's by the way, the AM hit it hard and the disc side pretty good also but a bit choppy.
I didn't try to mess with the settings and turn them up on this one because I didn't think anything good was down there, but I should have.
I bet higher sense, SL would have firmed it up, maybe higher thresh, too.
This thing sunk all the way down to the hard pan which in this court is a layer of gray clay.
I mention the depth in the vid...8" to the top mark on the Propinter, another inch to the top and it was still sitting at least an inch below the surface.
I also rarely scrub so the coil was maybe a half inch above the sand when I swung over it.
10" easy on this coin, might not be the same in the worst of my dirt but still happy to see this happen.
Could have been a nice gold ring down there just as easily as this nickel.
Next time.

https://youtu.be/K-vwt73Yq-E

REVIER, when you hunt in all metal, do you switch to disc to try to give you an indication of what it could be just before you dig ? I know sometimes the target will disappear in disc at depth but I'm curious if you got any kind of ID at that depth.

What was the date on that nickel ? Sometimes it baffles me when I find relatively recent clad or modern junk deeper than old silver but it happens more often than I expect.

Program one is always disc, many different settings but my average ones are disc at 1, sense at 85, thresh at -2, monotone for a whole lot of reasons, and I switch between DE and SL depending on the site.
I hunted in SL for many weeks early on when I got the F70 and one day switched to DE in a real trashy site and the difference was amazing.
Like I was the Flash with super senses and could differentiate between targets pretty easily.
Here in some sites I sometimes have masking iron and junk inches away from each other so the Faster DE I figure will help me pick out targets better in intense sites...in disc.
I have switched to SL on some deeper targets and got a better, stronger signal vs DE, sometimes nothing on that DE, but most targets here don't get much deeper than 7-8" so DE can hit most of them.

Program 2 is always AT, sense and thresh maxed and SL.
I use this as a check when hunting in disc and hunt with these settings also...a lot.
It took time to get used to it, all kinds of targets hit fast and furious but after a couple of years of this I can pick out good targets with pretty great success.
I switch back to disc on the deep ones to see if I can hit them, if not I mess with the settings to see what works...trial and error but I have a whole collection of disc settings that seem to work most of the time.
I guess I should switch to DE in all metal and make it faster but I never do...I always move the coil really slow in all metal anyway and these blast through maxed out settings, and SL, have some great unmasking abilities in iron...once you get used to them and learn the weird language to target non ferrous targets in a sea of iron.

On this deep 1964 nickel I got the same numbers and almost the same behavior as in all metal, but it was not quite as stable, a little choppy as I said with the signal cutting out on a few swings.
I do believe a little boost on the sense or switching to SL would have solved that, though.
Moving the thresh into the positive numbers might have also.

Like I said I should have tried some of this but I didn't...I thought this was probably some kind of piece of junk that deep like a couple of big metal washers that acted similar I found previously that deep.
If I had known this was a coin down there I would have tried a ton of stuff to get the best, most stable signal possible using disc.
Live and learn.

REVIER-----Have you ever tried a NEL Snake coil in there?-----Would be really interested in hearing your report on that coil also.-----Some people really like & have done well with the Snake on the T2 & Racers.

Revier, excellent review. Got a Patriot on order and will probably try the Sharpshooter. Used a 70 &75 when they first came out. Noise drove me nuts. Got rid of both. Looking forward to the Patriot and hope it's a little quitter.

woody said:
Revier, excellent review. Got a Patriot on order and will probably try the Sharpshooter. Used a 70 &75 when they first came out. Noise drove me nuts. Got rid of both. Looking forward to the Patriot and hope it's a little quitter.

Just turn it down if it's noisy, on another thread here Elton posted he got an F75 about 2 weeks old from a guy for half price because it was so jumpy and noisy.
Many Fisher owners bought theirs at fire sale prices for the same reason...they insisted on turning it up way higher than needed.
He just turned the thing down a bit and hunted just fine.
Says it is one of his favorite units he ever used.
Same unit, two completely different experiences.
Just because a Corvette has a ton of power doesn't mean you have to go 120mph to the store to get a loaf of bread with it.

I go up and down the range from dead quiet to very chatty because I am always experimenting, learned to and I can and have found great things with with all settings.
Factory start up is 60 sense on the F70, maxed out is 99, many hunt below 60 down the the 40's even and still get very deep.
My average deep depth for the bulk of my targets hunting in several states has been about 5-6"...with any settings and in a coma this thing should hit that easily.

I got a solid signal on a buried I came across once which was a dime at 5".
At 19 Spence, DE speed, disc in the low 20's, 4H and negative thresh I was in dead silence and I hit it but it sounded funny, whiny.
A change to SL speed it came roaring back solid...and still no chatter.
I could raise the coil and still hit it easy.
At 30 sense I was swinging over that dime at 9" total.
At 40 sense I was 6" above the ground, plus that 5" of dirt and I thought I was swinging over a dime that was only 2 inches deep.
For a long time even though i had heard about the great depth on low gain it was hard for me to believe it but eventually I saw enough in the field to gain great confidence in any ir all settings i choose to hunt with.
Trust me it is great on every combination from maxed out noisy to silent as the dead of space.

Fishers are the most underrated machines out there,with all the new hype coming in from over the water...I just purchased a new F75ltd2 after trying out some of the foreign machines,and I can't see a reason to go through that again.I love my fisher.

got my Sharpshooter on the F70 and I will say this It is a gem separates in trash extremely well pulled wheat's right next to nails also pretty deep . I ran in the SL mode just to see If I like that speed Sens at 75 disc 24 thresh at -2 3 tones a little more chatty but I will say this very accurate on Target also I did find out the F70 is a Nichol hound solid 31 is guaranteed a Nichol on this machine .

Don't know if it was the coil or just luck but in an area in a newer park built on the the site of an old neighborhood in dirt I have gone over a bazillion times before two surprising really old targets popped up this morning.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2368831

Don't care what the reason, just glad I found them.