Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Short Beach Hunt in Northern California

DrJoeprime

Visiting my son in Arcata (located in Northern California)...he drove us to a beach a ways north of here. Just a short 30 minute hunt in this wind swept beach that gets many bonfires and there's nails galore.

Before leaving home I downloaded V 3.2 and fortunately with my Deus nails are not a problem... but first 15 minutes it was difficult to adjust to the melted aluminum bits which tend to sound good. Then I must have got adjusted because I pulled out a few coins then a deep signal..perhaps 8" was a bit different still and to my amazement a nice little snake motif bronze broach with intact pin! Well with that success I started being a little more careful. The broach looks older to my eye and I'm thinking gold coin slipping out of someone's pocket.

Alas, no gold coin but a nice little 925 seal charm! We couldn't stay longer this time but I think I will return there and spend a bit more time.. and just maybe there is a gold coin (or even ring) hiding there

That is some very cool stuff you found!

Were you in the dry sand only or did you work the wet sand as well? I am curious because I really don't have a very good idea of how well or poorly the Deus does on wet sand. I am land-locked and probably shouldn't care, but every 5-7 years I see to make it to a beach :)

It was dry sand...I was concentrating on exposed stretches of charcoal from bonfires. The best thing I didn't get a single nail...just the melted aluminum slag.
The Deus does handle the wet sand on my local beaches ... but of course not as well as my Dual Field.

Today a different beach and I got a beauty of a silver ring with an opal...but gave it to the cutest 7 year old young lady ... the sister of the boy my son was caring for. You should have seen the size of her eyes when I asked her if she would like to keep the ring.

That seal is very cool, and nice gesture giving that ring away!

I've used the Deus on the beach a couple of times (in Florida, on the Gulf side). The Deus performed great on the dry sand. On the wet sand, I could keep the chatter down, but could not eliminate it. Those beaches where I go are not very mineralized; I can keep my CZ-21 ground balanced all the way at 10, and the sensitivity somewhere around 5. With the Deus, I just had to live with keeping the chatter as low as possible, and deal with it almost like a threshold. But when you get over a target, you know it! :) I will also say that I have gotten much better at making relevant adjustments on my Deus since I was last at the beach, so I bet I could do a better job now. So my personal experience may not be completely indicative of what a real Deus pro could achieve.

Rich

I found this lookalike photo of the opal ring on the 'net. Gonna have my son take a photo of the real ring next time he's there.

Regards, Joe
PROD_0365599_LG.gif