Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Short recovery Delay

Rob (IL)

I've been working with Monte's nail board to see how the V3i would do. I was using the 5.3 coil. I lowered the recovery delay to 25. I never have run it that low. So today I tried the program in a trashy area.

It worked great moving the coil very slow I was able to pull a Mercury, 2 wheats,several nickels and the usual clad. We have hunted this area to death. Basically it was a C/J program with the short recovery delay and my tones. Remember I use a very high tone for 18,19, 20 to make the nickels stand out. Most coins were 4 - 6" deep. I was running RX9, AM70, DS85, filter 5 band. I could have lowered the RX with no problem.

Now here is the other half of my programs. I don't run the analysis modes. I set my trigger forward to spectrgraph. The only difference is I have it set to consistency instead of intensity. This really makes jumpy signals easy to read.

I'm still not sure if consistency is as deep as intensity but in this application it works great.

[attachment 276894 FatBobII.jpg] [size=small]I need to exercise.[/size]

Good information, thank you Rob.

Thank's Rob....
We can always count on you to shed new light on a fantastic machine .:detecting:

I am using short recovery for quite some time now cause a post from UK , they are using short recovery there and it's very helpful. V3i was better detector with this delay and today I tried consistency and it is even better. Thanks Rob at least we came up with a nice setting. I found my self a deep silver ring today otherwise I think I was going to loose.

It's a good idea for you to monitor the UK forums due to your location. You are doing a different hunting for the most part then most of here on this side of the big pond.

Rob

Rob (IL) said:
I've been working with Monte's nail board to see how the V3i would do. I was using the 5.3 coil. I lowered the recovery delay to 25. I never have run it that low. So today I tried the program in a trashy area.

It worked great moving the coil very slow I was able to pull a Mercury, 2 wheats,several nickels and the usual clad. We have hunted this area to death. Basically it was a C/J program with the short recovery delay and my tones. Remember I use a very high tone for 18,19, 20 to make the nickels stand out. Most coins were 4 - 6" deep. I was running RX9, AM70, DS85, filter 5 band. I could have lowered the RX with no problem.

Now here is the other half of my programs. I don't run the analysis modes. I set my trigger forward to spectrgraph. The only difference is I have it set to consistency instead of intensity. This really makes jumpy signals easy to read.

I'm still not sure if consistency is as deep as intensity but in this application it works great.

[attachment 276894 FatBobII.jpg] [size=small]I need to exercise.[/size]

Rob, you said you ran recovery delay down to 25 and moved the coil very slow, I always set the recovery delay lower for a quicker sweep, as i thought that was the correct set up. Can you talk about why you set your recovery delay that low and swept that slow? Thanks

Here is your nail board information.

http://ahrps.org/_tipsAndTechniques/Nail_Board_Performance_Test.pdf

I was using a small coil (5.3) in heavy trash. The targets are therefore very close to each other. By setting the delay lower, the time from the detector acquires a target and does it thing and gets ready for the next target is shortened. Then by swinging slow I ensure it gets it thing done and is ready for the next close target.

If you read about the nail board test you will see many slow processing detectors can't see the coins between those nails. I could see the coins in all 8 directions and and in both coin postions with this set up.

I later lowered my AM so it could pinpoint better in the trash. Set up some nails and coins yourself.

For regular hunting, I set 2 coins a little more than a coils width apart and use my normal swing. When I can hear both coins the RD is correct to not miss two closely located coins. If I want the max depth and targets are few, deep, and far apart, I'll crank it up to 100 to 105 since I don't have to worry the detector is taking too long to process.

Thanks rob, your answers on this forum is much helpful and appreciated.

Rob (IL) said:
It's a good idea for you to monitor the UK forums due to your location. You are doing a different hunting for the most part then most of here on this side of the big pond.
Yes I do but the reason I was here is to see how people are working with v3i since my detector was made here as well. Thanks any way for advice. It has been a year already to understand the detector but it was fun. Thanks again.

Most V3i users I have come across in the U.K. use a fast recovery due to the amount of targets lying in the soil (mostly rubbish). I run between 30 and 35 most of the time but have gone up to 40 on a really clean field.

Rob
As always, Thank you for the great info

Tried the setup again today on a strip that was loaded with roofing nails. I added correlate for the iron. My brother and I have hunted this space before. Got three Wheats and some change. One wheat was around 6 inches deep. When I got it out there was another signal which turned out to be a rusty nail about 4" deep in the side of the same hole, nice.

I started using the reduced RD and it has improved my signal on targets as well as reduced some of the falsing

Again, I only do this in heavy trash.

I understand that, and the areas I have been hunting are congested.