Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shotgun shell signal Seated :blink:

umrgolf

Went back out to the camps this morning about 8AM. I ended up with a few bullets and buttons but had also dug several shotgun shells.. (they read around 60 on the Gold Bug DP) Anyway, I get a signal hitting just below that, around 55 and pulled out what I thought was some type of pewter token. I brushed it a little and realized it was a counterfeit quarter. It is very obvious this was an extremely well-done counterfeit. The buttons are vest "A", 2 cuff "I"s, cuff GS and a blue enameled cuff button.

A lot of nice finds Jeff and the quarter amazes me that there were counterfeit quarters back then. But I suppose a quarter was quite a bit of money in 1860 and worth the effort and risk to make them.

Larry (IL) said:
A lot of nice finds Jeff and the quarter amazes me that there were counterfeit quarters back then. But I suppose a quarter was quite a bit of money in 1860 and worth the effort and risk to make them.

Thanks Larry, you are correct.. It was at least half a days pay for a private ($13/month), so it would be along the lines of counterfeiting a $50 or $100 bill today. They counterfeited halfdimes in that time and I've heard of even counterfeit large cents lol

Love those button finds.:clapping: We dont find many down here as most of the Confed militia just didnt have formal uniforms. Then, the few eagle buttons that I have found were are all corroded away to basically nothing .... BTW - Larry(IL) once had a link (i think) to do a $money$ conversion of now compared to then ?? I'll try and find it . :shrug: Nice finds again ! CCH

You were right on. A quarter in 1860 is equivalent to an income value of $84.90 today.

http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/relativevalue.php

Larry (IL) said:
You were right on. A quarter in 1860 is equivalent to an income value of $84.90 today.

http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/relativevalue.php

Thanks for the info, Larry. It's neat to put the coins into perspective in terms of relative value. I guess this really explains why gold coins rarely turn up. Even the lowest value ($1) would have been a $340 drop :surprised:

I'm gonna head back up to this portion of the camp in the morning and see what turns up.

Amazing find!! Congrats!