Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should I stay away from older AT Pro?

jerry123

Thinking of trading my Fisher F75 for a used at pro. I was wondering if the older At pro would be a good choice? I will be hunting in fresh water most of the time.

Thanks jerry

How old is older? Things like O-rings and coil connectors would be one thing to look out for. I would also find out how often the machine was used and in what environments mostly (salt) etc. Some of the very first ATP's had water issues but they did rectify this problem. The ATP is a very versatile machine and my favourite.
Cheers!

They really haven't been out that long so even the first ones aren't to old.

If the AT PRO doesn't have shaft lock than it's the old one...stay away. If it does.. trade it...that's my opinion. The one without the lock it the old one.

nugget71 said:
How old is older? Things like O-rings and coil connectors would be one thing to look out for. I would also find out how often the machine was used and in what environments mostly (salt) etc. Some of the very first ATP's had water issues but they did rectify this problem. The ATP is a very versatile machine and my favourite.
Cheers!

I'm curious, how did "they" rectify this problem with "water issues"?

I would not hesitate to buy an older one. I have owned 6 ATP's, models from the very beginning to recent models. First off the cam locks are a general indicator of the age, but all you have to do is call Garrett with its serial number (bottom of control housing) and they will tell you how old it is and if it has ever been updated, serviced, etc. Obviously check for obvious damage, and check and see if the shafts are seized up (common problem). Other then that...if the price is right...grab it up.

Just remember.....you might be buying someone elses defective machine. Be careful! Buy from someone who is known on the forums if at all possible. There have been many people burned buying a detectors of Ebay. Try some of the dealers supporting this forum. They may have a used one. Good luck!

The older pre-upgrade AT Pros did not have camlocks and they also had a shorter (much too short on the armcuff for most people) upper piece which was corrected with the upgrade.

The newer armcuffs are also much sturdier, I had two of the older ones snap on me while detecting. That improvement was more recent than the 2011 upgrade.

The post-upgrade AT Pros are more stable than some of the earlier models which were prone to falsing. Speculation was that some of the early coils were not properly shielded, but Garrett never confirmed that.

Many of the first AT Pros also had issues with not being fully waterproof. I remember numerous reports of early AT Pros not working after being submerged in water.

As John said, you might want to talk to one of the forum sponsors. You'll probably find you can get a surprisingly good deal trading in your F75 on a brand new AT Pro with full warranty.

I used to use the pin point button even when my At/Pro was under the water, but no longer. It takes more scoops sometimes, but I didn't want to take any chances on causing another leak. Think I read about this on a post by John, but just can't remember. Hope you get a good deal on a new At/Pro.

Yeah, theres some good newer edition used ones for sale or trade...Windy City has one posted with a NEL Attack coil on the "for sale" Forum a few days back...i nearly jumped on it myself....

I have a newer edition and took the camlocks completely off of mine...they are trouble for water hunters getting all jammed up tight, and I mean tight! Now its super easy to change batteries, collapse the shaft, take the thing apart for travel etc without those camlocks jammed up with silt all the time... like Fongu, I dont use the PP button at all either, might adjust sens depending on how deep the mud. trash and targets are, but thats it, turn it on and go, turn it off and go home, just that easy....
Mud

jerry123 said:
Thinking of trading my Fisher F75 for a used at pro. I was wondering if the older At pro would be a good choice? I will be hunting in fresh water most of the time.

Thanks jerry

You bet. Why not? Garrett can confirm using the serial number when it was built...what generation. Many dealers have used ones in their inventory and advertise used ones. There are protections in place when purchasing online. Why not? Good success to you.