Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

should I trade the Explorer II for an Excal???

s1u2r3f4

Just wanted some input from those more knowledgeable than me. Have been learning the Exp II. Strictly beach. Then I run into a guy with an Excal. Blew me away with his finds. Am I wasting my time? Should I just bite the bullitt and get the Excal. Kind of frustrated with all the clad and junk. But then again I realize it takes time to learn your machine. Hate to give up. Nothing worthwhile comes easy. Thanks Or maybe there's another MD that I should know about???

learn your explorer, one of the best out there.

I tried to send you a PM, because I didn't want to post what I am now about to, here, but you do not have enough posts to be eligible to receive, or, send PM's.
o
Essentially, just about everyone agrees with you. Neither the Explorer nor the Excal are good on small gold. You might see if the Xterra 705 is better, do believe that I heard that.

Both Excals and Explorers, and even my Safari, are not the best when it comes to finding small gram gold and small fine gold jewelry like gold ear ring studs, and fine gold chains. Although, they say that if there is a pendant attached, that you can find the gold chains.

I did a web search and found this link http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30253

The guy had the same problem as you do with his Explorer. He did some tests and some tweaking. You may find what he has reported to be of interest to you.

Other than that. The Explorer is an excellent machine. It will find the gold rings, it just has a problem with small gold and gold chains. The Explorer is a very versitale machine. You might explore the coil options. Keep checking the classifieds here on FINDMALL.

I think that his link will take you to the coil selection guide at MINELAB. Look at all the coils available for the Explorer and see if one is suited for finding gold. Can't remember if it is a high frequency, or, a low frequency coil that is best for that, but the guide will tell you...

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/117...tion_Guide.pdf

Excalibur will allow you to get in the water. Not so with the Explorer. Explorer + water = very bad.

More areas to hunt = more things to find.

On a wet salt beach small gold remains elusive to all VLF detectors. The detectors need to compensate for the salt rendering them ineffective against deep small gold. As stated already the Excal will get you in the water. Unless that is your goal keep and learn the detector you have.

Those links that MS has given you are very interesting links ...... I like the idea of changing channels on the Explorer to hit smaller gold , but one thing that has to be kept in mind is the fact that this test was done using gold nuggets ......They are a lower conductive material ......The gold that we are finding in jewelry has alloy in it that makes the makeup of the target different ......Some experimenting is in order to obtain the best results ..... I wonder too what these channel changes do to larger gold ......I don't care much if I miss the smaller gold ......I'm more interested in small womens rings which make up more of my finds than anything else .....They put a bigger smile on my wifes face ......

If you are planning on doing some land hunting also, and only go into shallow water at the beach , you may want to stay with the Explorer, and ONLY if the coil is waterproof !! ......If you are doing beach and water hunting only , go to the Excal .....

The most important thing that you may have overlooked is the fact that the guy you were talking to with the Excal may have had that Excal for a LOT LONGER time than you have had your Explorer .... The most important bit of knowledge that I could possibly give you is to LEARN YOUR DETECTOR .......I don't care which one you go with , LEARN IT !!...... Spend time with it and try different settings ......Every beach is different and every scenario is different .....Learn to adjust your machine for the environment you are hunting in ...... Sure the detector can make a difference , but knowing that detector will make a HUGE diference in your finds ...... As they say , " It's not the Arrow , It's the Indian " .....Jim

well here's my two bob's worth on the subject after useing an ex11 for about 6yrs and finding loads of gold rings ranging from small engagement rings through to large men's wedding bands can only say WHO wants to find the back of earrings and if someone can show me a beach detector that finds thin gold chains on a regular basis i'll show you 100 that cant:laugh:. the explorer keeps you busy finding the small pieces of cans that litter every beach so unless you intend getting in the water stick with the ex11.

altinkum said:
well here's my two bob's worth on the subject after useing an ex11 for about 6yrs and finding loads of gold rings ranging from small engagement rings through to large men's wedding bands can only say WHO wants to find the back of earrings and if someone can show me a beach detector that finds thin gold chains on a regular basis i'll show you 100 that cant:laugh:. the explorer keeps you busy finding the small pieces of cans that litter every beach so unless you intend getting in the water stick with the ex11.

this post makes a great point about the thin chains and earring backs:clap:

altinkum said:

I feel the same way about "Mirco gold" hunting.

I use the SE and on the beach its better than the Xcal. Both are factory salt set which is close to tiny gold. Coil makes a difference as does anything that allows you to SEE or should i say hear a targets..... sensitivity, the higher the broader the coil HALO, Deep on simply allows the machine to operate slower taking a closer look at targets, gain increase modulation of the target especially the weaker ones. I also have the Xcal and its paid for itself twice in less than 3 months. On a beach ..... GOLD is king and where the money is.... not clad or even small silver. The Exp will find these rings and jewelry..... you might miss a small chain... but you are going to miss it with the Xcal also. Also the Exp has tweaking ability that the Xcal doesnt. The Xcals iron disc doesnt allow it to see some targets when avoiding iron. Now..... you have approximately a 50 to 1 ratio at the towel line good to bad targets.... in the water its decreased to 10 to 1. Ive thought of selling mine for a Sov, but mine does a darn good job on the wet and dry sand as well....... and its much easier to relic, field and park hunt with your Exp.... not to mention how well it loves silver. LEARN it and keep it. Bite the bullet get an Xcal and it will pay for its self of that i have no doubt. Best of both worlds.

Dew

I've had an Explorer XS since they came out and on the beach(to the wet sand and dunes) it is great. It will find just about any gold item from rings
to chains. It does struggle with small thin rings and chains sometimes. Synthnut is spot on target, this is a machine you have to not only learn but understand what
its saying and it will reward you. I kept this machine all these years because it is great at coin hunting, relic hunting and can be peeked & tweeked for just
about any situation.
I have a friend who has an Explorer II with a 15 WOT who uses it exclusively on the beach. He sold me his Excalilbur 1000 cause he didn't use it enough.

I also have a Sovereign GT and an Excalibur 1000, these are my primary beach machines not because they're better than the Explorer but
because of the depth I get on the wet sand, simplicity of use and sensitivity to gold. I've been using a Sovereign since they came out.

Stay with Exp II it'll pay off in the long run.

good diggin randy

:thumbup: Thanks so much to all of you. I will keep the Exp and if I can get an Excal on Ebay I will. Best of both worlds, for sure. Just came back from the beach at dusk. Just clad and fishing weights.....but the sunset was Glorious!!!!

I read this post and now question posting my Ex SE trade for a GT in the classifieds. I think my whole thing is for the simplicity of use. My primary machine is the 705. Maybe I should put that away for a while and just hunt with the SE. I usually go over an area with the Xterra then go back over it with the SE. Or, I will have just to much trash iron then go the the SE with the 8" FBS.

I think this is the first I have seen Sov users recommend staying with the Explorer.

Is the Sov slower and how different are the tones?

Jeff