Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should your threshold stay constant?

I was working the worst sight imaginable today. I started in auto coin. This place has so much iron and steel in it that without exaggerating I would guess that there's some kind of junk metal every 3 or 4 sq. inches. My threshold was constantly void due to the masking. I would still get tone though. Dug tons of bottle caps. I switched to my Extera and had a constant threshold tone. Used a 6 inch dd coil and seemed to separate from the trash better. Went back to the Etrac, went manual 18, difficult ground, fast recovery, trash high. I still had the problem of the threshold disappearing. If I held the coil about 6 or 8 inches off the ground the threshold would return. I guess my question is--- is the unit still detecting properly when your threshold is lost due to masking? Still new at this and if this sounds like a really stupid question sorry... The best find today was number of non-metallic buttons and one metallic button smaller than a dime with a train on it, all found visually while sifting through the rubble.

Can't answer your main question about the Etrac, as mine will not be here until later this week. The "train" button is probably an early Carhardt overalls button. I wish I had specific information to date the different styles, but I have not found any.

Jarrett

on explorers, sovereigns and etrac's teh threshold nulls over disc'ed out targets.. if you want to hear everything you need to open the screen more.. if its iron it will pretty much null unless you have a wide open screen.. good luck

Thank you Jim. I'll try no disc with a low sen's. I didnt do that, the place is so full of trash. I know there's treasures there as its an old ghost town along the original rail right of way. I would guess its been picked but with so much iron its hard to think that someone has had the patience. I appreciate the help on that button from Diggernash. Its the best part of the stuff we found yesterday. I'll post a picture of it latter today. I did use the button to adjust the disc. The stock coin mode had it rejected.

If it isn't too huge you might consider doing a little iron cleaning. One of my favorite sites was like that and I knew from the good finds that I did get picked out of the trash that it was worth the effort to clean it up a bit. I must have taken at least a dozen 5 gallon buckets of large iron out of there but was richly rewarded as the finds started to increase. Most coins in one hunt there after the cleanup was 13 Indian Heads. I was in heaven! Then in another hunt I got 4 V Nickels. The real "jewel" though came last year when a 100 + year old gold ring with ruby came to the surface! It was well worth the time lugging all of that iron out! HH Mike

I believe your right about the button. Its very similar to yours. As far as a clean up goes, I'm going to start stacking the trash in one area in case someone wants to examine it for things of interest. One mans trash equals anther's treasure. I think its the only way I'll ever get a clean read on the area....could take years.