Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sidewalk strip hunt

mojotrout

Just thought Id post a few pics of a sidewalk strip hunt I did on Prez Day. I searched a few blocks of a road that has had homes since the early-1900's. It really built up in the Thirties according to aerial photos and then It became a college rental neighborhood once the local University set up shop in the Sixties. So you can imagine the type of trash I found -- bottle caps, condom wrappers, pull tabs, etc., but it wasnt all that bad. I found several wheaties (40-42 TID) from 1928-1958, a 1954 dime and a great condition 1939 Merc. The spoon has some nice design work on it so it will get the electrolysis treatment. I dont think its silver due to the corrosion.

The best thing about this hunt was that the one penny just below the spoon in the pic is the only Zinc penny I dug. That's out of 84 targets retrieved this day. I hate zinc pennies and this 705 is really good at ID'ing them. Its become one of my favorite things about the 705. None of the three Tesoros or the Fisher F5 Ive swung could distinguish a Zinc from other clad or copper with any consistency in my ground, so Im pretty pleased with that capability. For me, if its a 30-32, it a Zinc penny. Out of hundreds of recoveries, its never been anything else. Since Im really not searching in areas of high gold potential right now, I have NO problems ignoring those signals. On the other hand, copper pennies ring exactly like silver dimes and clad quarters (42), so I dug plenty of those.

Sorry about photo quality, the iPhone is all I have at the moment...

I was hunting in Disc w/ nothing notched, GB tracking, GB phase = 17, NC=2, Sens=22.

[attachment 284626 photo1.JPG]

[attachment 284627 photo2.JPG]

love sidewalk strips they have always been good to me

Nice finds, but I do have to add that I never had a problem identifying a zinc with my DeLeon.

the Flying Eagle that's my Avatar I found a week ago on a sidewalk strip

surfchunker said:
the Flying Eagle that's my Avatar I found a week ago on a sidewalk strip

Nice!! I doubt there are too many of those out here in Idaho. I found all three of my Indian heads in sidewalk strips though. If you can put up with the weird looks and the kids wanting to know know what you're doing, it can be rewarding.

That was a good day. Keep it up!