Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silencer at 4

mrwilburino

Did some experimenting with the silencer function today. Hunted with the silencer set at 1. Once a target was found, I checked it with the setting at 2, 3, and 4.

On the plus side: almost all bottle caps reported as an iron target with no high-tone signal with the silencer set at 4.

On the not-so-plus side: a number of good non-ferrous targets either struggled to get a signal or gave no signal at all with the silencer set at 4. Included in that group was a silver dime at 4 inches with no other nearby targets. The same good targets that did not sound off at 4, DID give a clear signal at 1, 2, and 3. Definitely see a bit of a jump going from 3 to 4.

The settings I used were:
Frequency: 8kHz
Sensitivity: 90
Reactivity: 1
Iron Volume: 3
Tones: 5
Disc: 10
Notch: off
Ground: Manual 82-84

Thanks for sharing that experiment. Very interesting. Guess you've got to take the good with the bad! My personal experience yesterday indicated that I heard the scratchiness of a rusted cap at silencer 3, but at silencer 4 I got a "good" high tone and no scratchiness. Hence my questions to Andy yesterday. I wasn't getting a no tone as I had understood it to work. But I may still not be understanding how it is supposed to work.

Rich

Hi guys....
The manuel says this... (I would agree that silencer 2 is a good compromise... At 3 some goodies start to Be a problem, and at 4 just at you bescripe it.)

A few large iron objects or unusual shapes are often more difficult to discriminate. Often iron objects generate a few audible remnants of broken, or inconsistent signals (crackling). When you increase the silencer you are applying a filter which eliminates the crackling caused by ferrous. Level 2 represents a good compromise, but if you have difficulty to distinguish bottle caps, use level 4.
The Reactivity menu takes precedence over the silencer, so if you change the reactivity value this automatically imposes an appropriate silencer value. This is designed to avoid the silencer being set to a value that could reduce the effectiveness of the reactivity setting.

Yes, I usually hunt with the silencer at 2. It's a good middle ground between falsing and filtering. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from using it at level 4, it did a great job at knocking out bottle caps. For those who are new to the machine and having trouble with bottle caps, It's a good place to start.

If people are waiting for the magic function that hits 12" coinscleanly while rejecting 100% of the rusted bottle caps or some other unwanted target . . . . . make sure you hold a spot in that line for me because that detector is not off the drawing board yet.

Here's the logic behind what XP's team did with V3.0. Certain ferrous targets - including rusted bottle caps - give most detectors fits . . . some more so than others. That is simply the nature of ferrous targets and how they effect the field produced.

The SILENCER function is intended to address iron noise and in V2.0, it would not eliminate the bottle caps . . . . and the thing one needs to remember is that most countries do not have an issue with them the way the US does . . . . I've hunted several countries in Europe and pull tabs / screw caps / bottle caps are about as rare there as silver dollars are in the parks here. We in the US seem to set the bar when it comes to losing trash in public areas.

So XP worked on changes to the SILENCER function and came up with the new setting of "4" which in testing did what it was trying to but the downside is that there is a loss of detection depth when you run it that high . . . but that is one way to address bottle caps - although not the only way . . . .

A few other things to try include . . . .

1) Run the Silencer at "2" or "3" and the Iron VOlume at "2" . . . you will hear a difference in the sound of a target that registers in the 85 - 95 range if it is a bottle cap versus a coin or other non-ferrous target . . . listen to signals and see if you can hear the difference before digging it up . . . .

2) Wiggle the coil over the target and pull it back or push it forward . . . as the tip approaches the target, the sound will be different for the ferrous based targets than non-ferrous targets - again, try it on in ground targets

Not wanting to put people in data overload so see what these do for you . . . post your feedback / experience and we can go from there

But here is something that applies to any detector . . . . testing the response to odd trash targets including bottle caps (rusted) in the air will not work . . . . the response - even if you try to co-locate items - is not the same as in the ground . . . everyone has a test garden to ply in don't they :goodnight: ?

Hope this helps

Andy

Why did I buy a V2 not knowing what V3 would be like,..... simples.

Deus has a tendency to stick flat objects in the high tone,..... bottlecaps have low and high tone,....
So when rejecting low and high tones, I can hunt for my beloved gold and small silver jewelry,....

Try that with a CTX in the park or at the dry beach.

All this nagging about silencers, reactivities, etc. etc. is just us trying to find the boundries of what V3 can do.

What it does very well V1, V2, V3 is find gold and jewelry in a park setting and at the dry part of the beach, in heavy iron.
Took me a second Deus and all the extra's to figure that one out!!

Andy Sabisch said:
. . . I've hunted several countries in Europe and pull tabs / screw caps / bottle caps are about as rare there as silver dollars are in the parks here. We in the US seem to set the bar when it comes to losing trash in public areas.

Well the Finnish parks want to say hello...:veryangry: There are millions of pull tabs, screw caps and beer bottle caps in the ground thanks to our younger generation's heavy drinking and littering habits, so the improved bottle cap rejection in V3 is a welcome addition.

Andy Sabisch said:
A few other things to try include . . . .

1) Run the Silencer at "2" or "3" and the Iron VOlume at "2" . . . you will hear a difference in the sound of a target that registers in the 85 - 95 range if it is a bottle cap versus a coin or other non-ferrous target . . . listen to signals and see if you can hear the difference before digging it up . . . .

2) Wiggle the coil over the target and pull it back or push it forward . . . as the tip approaches the target, the sound will be different for the ferrous based targets than non-ferrous targets - again, try it on in ground targets

Not wanting to put people in data overload so see what these do for you . . . post your feedback / experience and we can go from there

Hope this helps

Andy

Hey Andy --

Per chance, while testing out the Deus in my local very trashy park, I happened to do exactly what you recommended above. Sometimes the bottle cap would sound good until the tip or edge got closer to the target, and there was a very distinctive fuzzy buzz. Nice! Sometimes if it sounded good, but kept wiggling even just the middle the buzz would suddenly emerge. When I cranked the Silencer to 4, I still got a good tone but lost the buzz.

What I will do is try to make a video of what I'm experiencing sometime over the weekend. That way, if there is something else I'm doing incorrectly, I can be corrected. Or perhaps there is something else at play here. But with the distinct buzz I was getting with the Iron Audio @ 2, and Silencer at 2 or 3 (I think I actually preferred 2), it was much clearer to me, and I think I dug only 1 bottle cap that "surprised me" The other thing that comes into play for me is that, in a park as trashy as this one is in some areas, when you try to draw the coil back to get the tip from the buzz, you actually are now bringing the coil over a new target within its range. That created some confusion for me, but I suspect with experience that will become clearer to me, and turning 90 degrees and re-swinging might help with that.

Thanks for your help and patience. Not expecting any miracles. Just trying to learn to get the most out of my XP!

Regards,
Rich

I tried the Silencer at 4 for a while yesterday in my park that has a lot of bottlecaps and I got several good signals that ended up being bottlecaps. I have no way of knowing how many it passed over without a signal but I did dig a few. I decided to just stay with my verification method using 4Khz and I didn't dig any more caps. I also noticed a nosedive in depth capabilities with Silencer at 4 using a quick airtest at the park. I think everyone will have to decide for themselves whether they want to use it or not but for me I'm sticking with what has worked for me since I started using the Deus.