Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silent Interference

godigit1

Some times hunting with a friend who uses a Etrac I have gotten bad performance poor depth and VDI. I thought I was having machine issues. This thread is a real eye opener and I figured I would pass it on to you guys. Next time I hunt with my Explorer and Etrac friends I will ask for a noise cancel in this manner and see if that helps.
Hope this helps us all.
HH
Jim

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,14919

Most 'interference' we hear is caused by EMI issues that cause sputters and such. I hunted with a friend yesterday who was using his Minelab Explorer II and I had the T2 w/11" DD to start out. He is the one who complained about interference. It only bothered me slightly and I still had okay detection performance when I was within 15 feet of him, but his Explorer was noisy enough that HE was doing the complaining. :)

"Silent Interference" can also be the unheard masking that prevents good target detection, and it can also be from totally out-of-sight sources. EMI is EMI and we don't have to see a metal detector close-by to determine it is present. Usually, if all else looks fine around you but you're getting questionable response with or without noisy sputters, there can easily be interference that you can't see or hear to determine the cause.

Monte

godigit1 said:
Some times hunting with a friend who uses a Etrac I have gotten bad performance poor depth and VDI. I thought I was having machine issues. This thread is a real eye opener and I figured I would pass it on to you guys. Next time I hunt with my Explorer and Etrac friends I will ask for a noise cancel in this manner and see if that helps.
Hope this helps us all.
HH
Jim

How far away where you from the other detector ?

Ken in Georgia said:
godigit1 said:
Hope this helps us all.
HH
Jim

How far away where you from the other detector ?
We hunt both close and at good distances from each other. Seems I never do that good while hunting next to or with the Etrac. Our last hunt we were both on a football feild and I was not doing very well, Finally I walked to the next feild over and started doing great got 2 silver rings and a silver bracelet. Whats weird is at the fair grounds a while back a guy with a explorer came over to me and said when he saw me come onto the feild and turn on my machine his went nuts. We were over 50 yards apart. He said he did a noise cancel and was fine but wanted to know what machine I was using as this had never happened before. Since then we have become friends and nugget shoot together.
HH

That is because of the same frequency being use. The minelabs use 28 or 30 at the same time. lower the gain and this will help, but getting away from them is the best.

it's not really clear which way they are sending them.

The Sovereign's are supposed to 'send' 17 frequencies.

Do you know how many audio Tone's these two models produce and 'send' for their Tone ID performance? :confused:

On Saturday, I only had very minor interference with my T2 and dropped my Sensitivity from 95 to 88 when by my Explorer II swinging friend. He complained a lot more about the 'noise' issue. I only had minor trouble using my G2 a couple of weeks ago when 4 detectors were all turned on in a circle of about 15' diameter.

Monte

According to the link and thread I posted above if we stand close to the explorer or etrac pin point or place our unit in all metal and have them do a noise cancel the interference goes away.
This would mean that the Etrac and or explorer would cancel out the 19 khz range leaving both hunters to run smoothly or at higher sensitivity.

Monte, The etrac and explorers transmit 28 frequencies and select low med and high range frequencies to use for target disc so while broadcasting 28 frequency's they are only reading a group of three at any given time. I do not own one but it is my understanding that a noise cancel stops the machine form receiving problem frequencies where EMI or Interference may be coming from.
At the end of this report by ML paragraph 2.9 they talk a little about this. All and all its a boring read but sheds a little light on the fbs processes.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/METAL%20DETECTOR%20BASICS%20AND%20THEORY.pdf

As far as tones go the etrac has 30 tones to help id targets. Talk about a learning curve.

Thanks everyone for your responses. So what it boils down to is if we ask our hunting buddies with etracs or explorers to do a noise cancel while standing next to them we will be able to operate within close proximity with no residual silent interference or emi effects as the MLs will cancel out our 19khz frequency.

HH Everyone!