Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silicon grease

Heras

Using the at pro on the water should i put silicon grase everytime before and after i use it? on the connectors on the o rings and on the battery compartiment?

Help me get this very clearly please. Want to protect her the best way possible.

I would hate to say and/or see you void your warranty by someone telling you to do so and know no more about it than I do, I'd suggest you to call Garretts and ask them about it and if they say it's ok then you'll still be covered.

It's OK to put a tiny..and I mean TINY... bit of silicone grease on the O ring seals occasionally. I put some on when I first got my ATP and just yesterday when I attached my new 6x9 coil. I use a toothpick and apply a thin coat (on the O ring only) of the headphones, coil connector and battery door. Re-apply whenever you see that the grease is no longer there. I leave all my stuff hooked up between hunts and don't worry about it unless I have to remove one of the parts for some reason. It won't void your warranty.

Silicon grease is a good lubricant. I have been using it in my Infinium, AT Pro battery holder compartment and will use it when changing coils and headsets. It's not good to NOT have any on the "O" rings. BCD is right when he says use a tiny amount.

BigCatDaddy, Thanks for trying to clear that up ! Maybe they'll believe you, but every time I say the same thing someone says they better check first with Garrett about voiding the warranty. Garrett would be happy if you did cause your caring for your machine by maintaining the O rings. But there's going to be some out there that have to have Charles Garrett tell them too.
Or they'll send there machine to repair it because they didn't. Your correct by saying just to use a little bit cause that's all you need. Happy Hunting, Woodstock

I see nothing in the Manual about how this should be maintained . I know it comes with some light grease on it! Thats it! Nothing about it needing to be greased...ever!???

No, there nothing in the manual about it but it seems to be a "new issue" that doesn't need to be an issue at all. If it's used by Garrett and is on the plugs from the factory then why wouldn't you want to re-apply it when it's gone from the plug? Yes, it needs to be applied from time to time like changing the oil in your car. Just like the manual doesn't say you'll need to replace the O ring from time to time cause it will wear out (believe it or not) just like tires on your car do. So someday you'll have to do that too. Just remember to use it lightly and make sure it's user friendly on the rubber O rings. Cheaper lubes might cause the ring to expand to much making it loss with it's ID (inner diameter) not seating correctly. Always check for this, make sure the O ring is "set" correctly in place and a tiny bit of quality lube to relieve any friction while you push it in place and tighten the plug. This is the ONLY seal that keeps the water out.
So if you don't want to replace the tiny bit of lube that was on it when new then don't. But then when the O ring dries out and gets damaged and causes a leak requiring repairs and time lost in the field you can't complain. It makes me wonder why you'll cover a coil, why? Cause they'll wear out, right? Shouldn't they have made the coil bottom thicker and therefore not needing a coil cover? So it just makes sense that O rings will wear out too. They don't make O ring covers but they do make the lubes to keep them good, so why not lube them?
I hope Garrett revises the manual and advises this as routine maintenance and starts to include a tube of lube in all there new units and makes it available to all owners as well. It will save a lot of future headaches. Somebody told me long ago "That an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and this has been very true to me in the past.
But in the end it's the owners decision if they want to do this with there machines, I'm doing to cause I know it's best for my AT Pro and helps it remain waterproof.
Happy Hunting and Trails to All of You. Woodstock

Thx woodstook now its crystal clear. Well rounderRick i asked garrett about my plans on puting silicon and rubber tape on the seals of the screen and they didnt say nothing about it. Also asked about the lube but didnt got an answer. Just that what happened to me wasnt normal and that i could submerge de detector to the limits that are explained on the structions. But all this information is great and i dont care if they take care again of my warranty, im justo gonna treat her like if it was my mother. Dont wanna loose more time and effort sending it to a repair.

Im gonna put also something on the shaft so it does not fall to the sides like it usually does on land. And some kind of cover around the control box when i get in the water and everything i can do to avoid problems.

geezzzzz was just trying to help I know some places will do anything to get out of a free repair sorry I posted will keep my 2 cents to myself next time.

That's great to hear Heras cause I'm just like you, it's my baby and I want her to be as protected as possible and give her only the best. I've been thinking about some other things to protect it as well and if I come up with something good I'll be sure to post it for all to see. I can't wait to be able to get a coupling or plug so I can make an adapter to use better headphones. That way I can keep my Garrett's stock headphones and get some top of the line waterproof ones or even better land headphones so those sweet high tones comes out sweeter! Maybe I can come up with a CBC (Control Box Condom...LoL !) someday as well ! Take care of yourself and your mother and Happy Trails and Hunting! Woodstock

Hey RounderRick, Your comments were fine and not out of place at all. Some places might try to get out of a free repair but not Garrett, there the best. Your comments spark better conversation and a better understanding and that's what this forum is all about. There to things that come to mind as I type this, first being " The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask" and " Better safe than sorry". Don't think you were wrong or out of place and please continue being involved, post your comments and then listen to your replies. I've learned a lot that way and will continue to do so. Take care and the best of hunting to you...happy trails as well. Woodstock

Ok thanks Woodstock thought I might have over stepped with my answer,,,I really know very little about Garretts I'm new to them and new to this at pro forum as well.
I'm also a newbie to the at pro had it less than 2 months now but I'm really impressed with it and enjoying it more each time I get out with with it.
Never really thought about putting anything on the o-rings but I guess it does makes sense to keep them from drying out.

RounderRick,
All is cool here, never worry. Ya a dry and cracked O ring is like dry chapped lips, the difference is one gets a little quality non conductive silicone lube and the other plain old chapstik. But both hurt like h*ll when you get them. Take care and Happy Hunting. Woodstock