Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver #29 IN THE WOODS

Old Pirate

Well, I'm now convinced that my conceived ideas about hunting soccer fields is a bust from the standpoint of getting silver. Yet another 1937 plain Merc pops out at the bottom of the hole at 6 inches with a tight 4-29 signal that was wayyyy... too small for a can. (Pro Coil) Along with the 42 Wheat and the "believe it or not" TOASTED 1973 Memorial and a bunch of cans, that was it for three hours in the woods. The other wheats were from the other spots I mentioned Saturday.

Gimme the flipping WOODS any day of the week!!!

Good luck all you guys and Happy Hunting!!!

Ed

soccer probably wasn't played when silver circulated. i've found a few but the fileds had been used for something before soccer.

I love woods hunting Ed. Sometimes the soccer fields were built on farmland and sometimes material/turf was added - but the surrounding woods probably remain as original.
Bruce

Hey Ed, thanks. That ground I found the Merc in was a damp sandy loam soil. Real easy dig and I knew it was silver from what the machine was telling me. I spend at least 2 or 3 minutes going over a good target before I decide to dig. I'm testing out your theories and beside the iron content here, it works well, although some of the stuff is so whisper I dare not dig it after work because it just saps me of so much strength I end up avoiding them and the iffy calls the shot. I'm cherry picking the hell out of sites first and saving the deep stuff for beginning of hunt scenarios. Lately though, the ground has eased up as far as digging. Lot of seasonal rain and cool temps have helped. The roots haven't. I have a Husky drywall punch saw for those as I will cut what I can around the plug with the digger and then pull out the saw and follow the cut to get through the roots. Seems like all the good stuff is deep and overgrown as in that 1903 Barber I found. Guess it just goes with the territory. HH there Ed!

drkp88 said:
I love woods hunting Ed. Sometimes the soccer fields were built on farmland and sometimes material/turf was added - but the surrounding woods probably remain as original.
Bruce

Bruce,

I'm finding that out more and more.

Bumped into a fella swinging an Etrac the other day over at some soccer fields and he said he found a V, I forget what date, on a field that I know was filled and graded 2 years ago with over 100 - 30 ton tandems of fill. And I found a boatload of clad there with my Delta before they grassed it in. And marbles of all things.

But I still like the woods. Peace and quiet, deer wondering what's going on, checking you out, and just plain "Freedom"!!!

Ed