Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver #700 and numerous thank yous!

marcomo

At the end of November I found my 700th silver coin. Got a tiny bit hopeful before I cleaned the dirt off and looked at it carefully. Saw a 191 for the first three numerals of the date and the flip side was a D mintmark. Closer inspection of the worn coin showed a top of the fourth numeral indicating an 8, I was happy I could at least read enough of that final numeral. I'd hate to spend the rest of my life not knowing if that final numeral was a six. :blowup:

It took me too long to go from silver 600 to 700 so in case I die before I reach 800, I want to thank all my forum friends who have enriched my journey since I began this hobby in early 2008. :thumbup:

Before I delete a bunch of archived PMs, a special thanks to those who I've conversed with or done deals with here. :cheers: The incomplete list in no particular order:

DonD(GA), Cal_Cobra, autopilot42, Jim Robertson, Mike Hillis, Labrador Bob, SkiWhiz, Robert@BackwoodsDetectors, goodmore, Tom_in_CA, silverman, DKinPA, sgoss66, digsgti, Ray-Mo, D&P-OR, mascard1, sookie, Ralph Sun Ray, Woodchuck, jim tn, Elton, RLOH, synthnut, stasys, khouse, greytcote, ZOFCHAK, cuzzi25, littlenugget, cometguy, TerraDigger, fir469, Lipservice, rob, morelic55, MarkCZ, vargg, c.j.m, Rob(IL), Keith Southern, Charles (Sabre)(Tx), TC-NM, ronburton, Tin Fin, BillF, togamac, Jeff in PA, Glovas, Virgile in Okla, bigdawg47, flysar, Kickindirt, devilpookie, SavingThePast, treasurehunter747, butch in pa, Rebel1, Tico, KindManTall, hunt2day, Sataro, jimmy clark, colt, CBAILEY IN GA, wingryder, mtncreekdarrell, TellYaWhat, Fisherfinder, lovepulltabs, tometusns, thumperjones, DFXDon, DW-OR, Welgund, fmurphy, Pastor bob, OhioMike, juit, snoopythebeagle, pcbsanddigger, Donna(NJ, Hightone, HighPlainsHunter, mudpuppy, Hungarian, rickie crowder, pine3874, coinjumper, jimmyk, Ism, WV62, Reeseb, John-Edmonton, tvr, dahut, JAntonS, Dave J, North Georgia Relics, SteveP(NH). And thanks to Tom Dankowski for his personal help and vast knowledge. Also Monte Berry, another MD guru who selflessly shares what he knows with others. Rusty Henry for his Tesoro help, Myra at Garrett for being so sweet and Dave Johnson at FT for accessibility beyond what anyone could reasonably expect from someone in a position like his. Long may you outrun the Pale Rider, Dave.

One last thank you to the actor Mackenzie Crook. I don't know the man and he's not on this forum. But he has written and directed the only great video ("Detectorists") I've ever watched about metal detecting.

700 silver coins in 9 or so years is not to shabby, marcomo. :thumbup: Like you, I too enjoy finding silver, but we both know, its really the thrill of the hunt. Good luck on reaching 800. HH jim tn

marcomo, keep studying that worn date. If you look at it long enough, you will see something resembling a 6. Congratulations on 700 and what a coin to reach that milestone!

n/t

Congrats on digging your 700th silver coin Marcus.----It's been a real pleasure being a forum friend with you all these years.---------Del

Thank you, guys.

And better to proof read before posting than after, especially when you're typing fast.

Apologies to a good guy and one of my favorite dealers, RICHARD Robinson of Backwoods Detectors.

There is a lot of competition for silver out there, and there is becoming less and less. You are a fighter!:starwars:

I'm averaging about 5 silvers per year, I'm 65 years old so that puts me at age 205 when I hit that 700 Mark and that's not counting in the silver is getting harder to find each year.
That's a lot of silver for 10 people to find in a year.

That’s a pretty serious effort over that time to find that many silvers Marc. Clearly,while the thrill of the hunt is the initial reason for getting out of the house,finding what you seek is what makes you do it again and again! After public places have been hunted for going on 50 years,to have us out running around clearing 100+ silvers a year is quite re-Marc-able! We have to be better at it,we have to be using better machines,and...we have to know what we’re doing from the time the door hits us in the ass!
A huge CONGRATULATIONS to you,here’s to hoping the New Year continues in the same way!:cheers:

John-Edmonton said:
There is a lot of competition for silver out there, and there is becoming less and less. You are a fighter!:starwars:

Very true, more silver removed from the ground every year and it ain't being replaced.

I never post to this site but a friend sent it to me. CONGRATULATIONS! i'VE DONE THIS FOR 30 YEARS AND THE MOST SILVER COINS I CAN REMEMBER IN ONE YEARS WAS ABOUT 60 AND THIS WAS WHEN THEY WERE EASIER TO FIND. I'M CURIOUS ABOUT ABOUT ONE THING. DO YOU PRIMARILY DO TRASHY SITES WHERE SCvdiS DONT EXACTLY RING UP LIKE U WOULD THINK OR DO YOU CLEAN OUT ALL THE TRASH FIRST OR ARE U A RESEARCH GUY HUNTING THE "LOST" SITES. THESE ARE THE WAYS I CAN STILL "DIG EM" AGAIN THIS MIGHT BE A GUINESS RECORD, GO FOR 800 NOW BEST.

Thanks LTime, but there are numerous folks who find more silver than me. And even more who find more monetary value than I do, including skilled gold and relic hunters. It's hard to explain the kick I get finding a silver dime with a bullion value of less than $2 to someone who doesn't detect, but I know many here get it. On the other hand, the luster is long gone for me with wheaties, except as an indicator for silver potential and for the fun the first grandchild who collects pennies is going to have. I just added a load of tumbled and oiled wheaties to the jug and the current total is 3,642. Rounded to the closest tenth, that's a 5.3 to 1 wheat to silver ratio.

The largest percentage type of detecting I do is yard permissions, so I do a fair amount of heavy iron areas. I have cleaned out iron intentionally for unmasking purposes but that's not the norm. I do a good amount of research and dig many iffys but I don't dig it all, especially in postwar yards, so I have no doubt I've left behind a good bit of gold. What helps me the most is looking at life through a detecting prism. I'm sure many in our hobby who have had some success know what I'm talking about.

I've only been detecting since 2008, and I haven't recorded depths so I don't have scientific data, but it sure does seem like the average silver coin depth has gotten deeper since I started.

I have never really counted My Silver? One Year when I got a Etrac New I did just to see if I could get over a hundred and did.

What can I say, Harold? I'l admit I'm a detecting nerd. I not only count my silvers I put them in 2X2s and record the addresses where found.