Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

silver among iron

DougF

Finally cooled off here, but no rain for three weeks so it's too hard to dig in the turf. I went back to a wooded area in a park which I've been hitting on and off for about year. Hunted for two hours with just a couple wheat cents (1942, 1952) and a bird band. Then I got a signal which was mainly the high shrieking tone which is usually a hot rock. Conductivity reading 30 or 31. Dug a hole and found a bottle cap in the dirt pile, checked the hole with the pinpointer and had another target, this one was a short nail. Figured that was it, refilled the hole. Stood up, swung the detector over the hole and got a solid silver quarter tone. Pulled the dirt out again and there was the 1959D Washington. It was probably out of the hole the first time, I just didn't see it. I dug lots more junk, but didn't put it in the photo.

Beautiful Washington Doug!! Another data point to support the "dig the bottle caps and check the hole" movement!!

Dug and Doug. Game over. Some indicator in cursor movement may have hinted at the coin if you were using the Smart Find screen,but you got it anyway. THAT is what I'm talking about!
No,I'm not going to start digging up bottle caps,no need....and yes,it's OK that everyone else comes along and digs them up. I do not feel as if that is a viable way to fulfill a goal. But if you hear something in the audio you like, and the number is driven higher than you think it should be...yes,then dig it up. Hell,dig whatever you like. The Explorers are the best at bottle cap ID,and I use it to the fullest!

IDXMonster said:
Some indicator in cursor movement may have hinted at the coin if you were using the Smart Find screen,but you got it anyway.

Yep, my previous detector was a Whites M6, so I was used to the numbers, never was able to switch to Smartfind. The key part was the conductivity dropping to 30 occasionally. Also it sounded like there were a couple targets there. I dig a few aluminum screw caps, but almost never dig the steel crown caps, unless they are in the hole with a good target.

IDXMonster said:
No,I'm not going to start digging up bottle caps,no need....and yes,it's OK that everyone else comes along and digs them up. I do not feel as if that is a viable way to fulfill a goal!

We can't all be masters of tone id and cursor id like you Kevin... ;) though you set the bar for us amateurs. Sometimes a bottle cap in my pocket is the highlight of my day. Haha.

Hundreds and hundreds of hours on the ground... thousands of coins dug... I have only one lawnmower chopped up washington silver to show for it. Any way you slice it... it is a nice and enviable find Doug :)

Tim

Tim, I was like that too a couple of years back. My buddies were pulling up silvers but not me.
I had to re-school myself, using Andy's book on Explorers and many hints on this site which are at the top as a sticky or just reading posts.

I then tested stuff before going to the fields - I paid attention to screen location, VDI and sounds.

Many coins including silvers don't give off a loud tone, (many call it a small tone) - you need to slow down and listen real good.

Last - believe and stay positive - if the park you hunt is old enough then your chances are good. If the places you visit are newer then your chances are less.

Best of luck,

Tony

tiftaaft said:
IDXMonster said:
No,I'm not going to start digging up bottle caps,no need....and yes,it's OK that everyone else comes along and digs them up. I do not feel as if that is a viable way to fulfill a goal!

We can't all be masters of tone id and cursor id like you Kevin... ;) though you set the bar for us amateurs. Sometimes a bottle cap in my pocket is the highlight of my day. Haha.

Hundreds and hundreds of hours on the ground... thousands of coins dug... I have only one lawnmower chopped up washington silver to show for it. Any way you slice it... it is a nice and enviable find Doug :)

Tim

Dang! I don't know why I didn't see this before....I am an expert on metal detecting like the Pope is an expert on gambling...not really. THE key,as Tony alluded to,IMHO,is the SITE. When I first started detecting I dug so many coins out of the local school grounds it was ludicrous,they were EVERYWHERE! No silver coins. Maybe a ring or three. As soon as I got the Explorer and started targeting OLDER sites ONLY....that's when it became very obvious that's what needed to happen. Lots of guys go places cuz they CAN,not saying that's your situation Tim. But I did it a lot early on,and it sucked. I was excited about the hard hit I got on a 4" clad quarter. Now...if I hear that sound it's like nails on a chalkboard!
Keep up the good coin counts,the experience at finding the deepest coins you can,even if they're clad,will pay HUGE dividends when you are at the right place. It will almost seem TOO easy. It's a great feeling to dig nothing but 7-10" coins,even if just a few,and the worst thing you'll bring home is a wheat cent. You'll achieve it,no doubt!:)

Way to stick with that signal Doug and pull out a silver .25! I have been getting better at double checking holes as I never used to do it! I must have left a lot of stuff behind for others!