Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver and Gold on a Tasmanian Beach

Birdseed

Silver and Gold on a Tasmanian beach.

Had a couple of hours to spare so I packed the wife, her knitting and the Sov GT into the car and headed to a little strip of sandy beach I've been thinking about for a year or so. Only about 40 to 50 meters long. Almost immediately picked up my first coin, then twenty more in quick order plus my first rings.
Total haul included 5 silver coins (top left in photo), 2 nine ct. gold rings ( both broken) plus assorted decimal coins all in bad condition.
The silver threepences and sixpences date 1921 through to 1944 and other pre-decimal as late as 1960
The large coin is a 1944 penny.
The larger ring has had the shank purposely cut off, and is engraved RLS. Did Robert Louis Stevenson ever visit Tasmania???
The other ring has parted at the back of the shank, looks like the gold soldering has failed, also a pretty little ruby.

Still about 2/3rds of this little beach to look at.

Interesting to note that apart from the penny, all coins were small and deep. I feel that this beach has been detected before and these finds were too small or deep. Top marks for the Sovereign GT
I am becoming confident with the Sov now and beginning to understand its language.
Will post some more photo when I have a chance to clean things up a bit

Cheers
Pete

Nice finds!

Bee u tif ull rings thats a good spot glad you could finaly get out thear , can you also show a picture of your wifes nittings ha ha .

Nice finds, I think you will find more.................:clapping:

Even when you have completed searching that beach - wait for some big storms and go back, the heavier goodies could well be down there - at the moment out of reach but if a storm could shift even 6 inches of sand you could have a really nice day...........

Will be interesting to see what comes out of the other 2/3rds........... good luck.

Good morning all,
I am heading down again today, low tide around midday. Will look over the same ground again before moving on. You can bet your butt I'll be there in a flash if a decent storm blows in from the right direction. It does appear that there has been a little sand loss this winter as there are stones bare that I don't remember seeing last time I was there, (without my detector). Also have a Safari and this may be a good location to test against the Sov..
I was surprised at the early coins, this beach must have been popular in the past. Now mostly used by people walking dogs!!
Will post any positive experiences as they happen.

Pete

Hi, due to owning an exterra 705 I mostly frequent that forum but I'm contemplating a detector for use in wet sand/shallow water at beach which the exterra is not designed for. Wondering if the Sov is the way to go or does anyone have other idea's? Will only have $700 to $1000 give or take to spend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Aaron

ajrobbs

I have never used the Sov in water but, as far as I'm concerned it is unsurpassed in wet sand, fresh or salt.
The Sov definitely has a learning curve, the greatest lesson to learn is to use minimum threshold and swing slowly.
Also investigate any strange signals, they are often very small and quite deep targets. As you dig down on the target it will often self resolve to a steady tone, thus helping you to decide whether to proceed or abandon.
My friend has an Xterra 700 and he does not get the same results as the Sov., to the point that he is losing confidence in the detector. It may be his technique, but I often hit targets that he has missed.

I am biased, but if you are prepared to put in some time to learn to use the Sov I feel it will not let you down

Pete