Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver dime from the depths

Kevin B.

Although I shouldn't have been too surprised, beings how the Deus (with small coil) hits well on the ten inch dime in my test garden, I got a good repeatable signal yesterday (12 khz) while sweeping an area. I didn't get a TDI with the signal but the signal was well defined and worth digging so I dug it out. It had rained yesterday morning and the ground was soft enough for me to sink my Predator Raven shovel plumb to the footpads when digging my plug. I removed the plug and target was STILL in the bottom of the hole. My Propointer barely picked up on it. So I used my hand digger to take out another inch and a half estimated. In that clod was a speck of shiny silver. I my parts, where the ground is fairly well mineralized, that was very impressive. The Rosie dime was a 1961. Also found a 1919 Wheatie not near as deep and a 1920 Dog Tax Tag. Thanks for looking.
DSC00476.jpg

Great find.

I am always surprised at how deep the Deus can go. For a detector primarily known for its iron abilities, the depth is a added plus.

Joe

Congrats on the finds. I live in Virginia and I've been finding coins in the 8 - 10 inch range. No TDI either, but the sound was strong and clear and that's all I need.

I would love to see a video of you hitting a 10 inch measured dime with the deus, I have a deus and dont think that is possible

Meditech said:
I would love to see a video of you hitting a 10 inch measured dime with the deus, I have a deus and dont think that is possible

I would do that for you, but I do not have my Deus anymore. Traded it in on an Excal II. The draw of the water hunting got the best of me.

Well Meditech, I hate to tell you but it is absolutely possible. I have hit a lot of coins at the 8-10 inch range with my Deus. Mind you, it took me a while of using the Deus before I started getting good results in relation to depth. How long have you been hunting with your Deus? If you don't think 8-10 inches is possible, you need to put in a lot more hunting time is all I can say.

Kevin- Congrats, you clearly know what your doing and it's showing. It certainly took patience on my end before I started hitting coins that deep, I'm impressed. Keep it up and I look forward to seeing your coming finds. HH -Marc

Meditech, I've yet to dig a dime at 10" either....yet. I do agree it is possible though even with the stock coil, IF the ground is right and you have your machine set up right. Our ground is somewhat mineralized and I have recovered 2 silver dimes so far at an honest 8". At first I was using the GMP Power program with frequency changed to 12 khz.. Audio was very faint but high tone and repeatable, no TID, and nothing showing on the horseshoe. Dug my plug and rescanned the hole, pretty much same scenario except now had a sliver on the right side of the horseshoe. Switched to my GMaxx program that I have at 4khz. Sound was stronger, still no TID but now had more showing on the horseshoe. So from these 2 recoveries I can see where a 10" dime could be found but probably by audio only and with the right set-up and in the right ground. And I've only had my Deus for 2 weeks and am a complete greenhorn with it yet, but man, is this thing a joy to swing to somebody with physical impairments.

I believe it will hit coins at 8-10 inches but not a dime with stock coil, Its good to know that it can, I would love to find a single video showing this but I cant :( My etrac can hit a dime at 8 inches with stock coil but it struggles to do so, I have bills deep pasture setting's and I dont get so much as a blip on a 8 inch dime. Anyway I love the deus I'm not knocking it, I just dont think thats possible.

And yes its a wonderful machine, I got it for deep woods hunting, the etrac kills my shoulder after a few hours of hunting. Will make a video tonight and burry a 8 inch silver dime and go over the settings maybe I got something messed up

I haven't found any deep coins yet, but haven't been hunting for them, I focus on jewelry and don't need the great depth. After reading Mark's posting on the quiet mouse sighs, I believe I have left a lot of deep targets behind. I do believe this machine with the standard coil could reach those depths on dimes. I used to hunt with my Etrac & 6'excelerator coil and have found 1 ring and recently a mercury dime at 8". I traded my Etrac for my Deus, so I am focusing on that.Good luck!

Meditech, just keep in mind that a freshly buried coin will not ID as well as one that has been lost for awhile where the ground matrix has not been disturbed. I have a test garden only a few months old and only the shallower targets ID correctly. A lot of the deeper ones still register but not in their proper expected range.

What DirtAngler said is very true. Burying a deep coin and trying to hit is a waste of time. It takes years to create the "halo" effect of a deep coin to be able to hit it (in most cases anyway). Good luck anyway, maybe you will have good results. I don't usually film, but maybe I will bring my camera along on a hunt one of these days to prove that the 8-10 inch range is possible. I don't bring cameras on hunts anymore because when I did in the past, they were always slow days. It seems the darn camera always jinx's my hunt. HH -Marc

In comparison my Etrac can hit a freshly buried dime at 8 inches, my at pro and deus cant, I better take the etrac to the plowed fields for the deep coins where there is no halo to help the deus along

Meditech said:

I do not have a video of it but can and will stand by the fact it is possible. I have seen Pescadores Deus hit on a measured 10" dime, that I buried about 3 months ago, as well as a vague hit on a 12" quarter buried at the same time. It convinced me enough I traded in my Explorer SE Pro and all my accessories for the Deus, then went and recreated the same hits this morning. VID is there at times, albeit off, but tones on the dime are faint but crisp and the quarter is just a very faint signal, maybe a VID now and then if hit at the right angle. I have witnessed 2 Deus' do it.

Yes I believe it now, I buried a dime 9 inches down and hit it with the deus, the etrac also hit it but I had to jack up the sensitivity too 27 which caused the etrac to go nutz. Pretty impressive really.

Meditech said:
I believe it will hit coins at 8-10 inches but not a dime with stock coil, Its good to know that it can, I would love to find a single video showing this but I cant :( My etrac can hit a dime at 8 inches with stock coil but it struggles to do so, I have bills deep pasture setting's and I dont get so much as a blip on a 8 inch dime. Anyway I love the deus I'm not knocking it, I just dont think thats possible.

I just got My Deus Monday and hunted for the first time Tuesday in basic 1 mode (sensitivity 95, frequency :geek:. Found 6+ inch silver dime and 6+ inch silver quarter along with many wheats that my ETrac couldn't see. Got good ID too.

Taliking about ETrac struggling to get 8" dime, I have dug 11.5" barber dime with clean sound and ID and an 11" Standing Liberty Quarter that is struggled with a little but was repeatable enough to dig. I have dug many 8' or better dimes and usually (depending on soil) the ETrac sees them well. Both of the deepest coins above and many of my 8"+ dimes have come from or near a drill field on a university campus that has been in use since the 1870's. I can't wait to go back with the Deus and see if it sees anything the ETrac missed.

I love the Deus ability in tough spots where even my ETrac cannot see and I can't wait to learn it better.

HH

This machine is incredible. I've been using for a month or so. Have the ctx as well. Been using both. I have a quarter, modern, 12" in my soil that was planted several months ago. I can hit this quarter in all modes. Relic is strong. I purchased the large coil. It's down right loud in all directions with coil a couple of inches off ground.

I just wish I could figure out why it loves to give pretty strong readings on iron. This is where I've found the CTX to shine, and the ETracs before it.

I know with certainty that the Deus is making my older sites scream with targets, and the audible acquisition of targets is absolutely incredible.

Decision to make now is whether to keep my 2 deus's, both with large coils, and sell the CTX, or sell one of the deus setups and have two different machines. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Again, if I could start to trust, or understand, the Deus and its seemingly deep love of iron, I have found the best machine I've ever used. The large coil...I'm enamored!

Randy