Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver find with eyes only

[attachment 314194 image.jpg]I know that this post probably belongs on the today's finds forum, but I wanted to share a little fact I found interesting today. My wife came home today and with a big grin handed me this necklace with a pendant on it and said I quote "look what I found today and I did not even have to use a metal detector". I think it was a little bit of a jab or joke at my expense. She found it while she was walking along talking to a friend right on the surface. I got to looking for markings to see what she had found and if it was more than just costume jewelry. Turns out it had 3 markings that were really small. The 1st one I noticed was FAS, this was a marking I was not familiar with, so i did a little research online and found out this means fused alloy silver or could be Fine Antique Silver depending on the age of the item. I also found that there are many opinions varying from that if it does not say .925 is just plated silver. If it does have a .925 and a china stamp it is just silver plated and could be copper or some other metal underneath. I noticed one other thing after carefully studying the markings that made all the difference to me. In smaller letters than the FAS it was stamped on the other side Italy .925. An Internet search with this new information, brought up better news about the silver content of the necklace. Needless to say it is important that you check every find thoroughly or you might dismiss a good find as costume jewelry or junk jewelry. This is the second time since I started detecting where I have realized the importance of double checking your finds before dismissing them as junk. I learned something new in the process about markings on silver jewelry. It was my 1st experience with an FAS marking. It really does not matter to her what it is worth, it looks nice and it is a keeper to her. Plus she skunked me for the day, because I did not get to go out today. I am happy for her though. Remember to check your markings on all jewelry thoroughly. HH

very good job maybe tell your wife she needs to go detecting to find some more now she has the silver bug :bouncy:

AJ

my very best coin find was with my eyes an 1879 seated dime - found it in a washout on our property look in washouts

Never thought to check washouts. How old was the property you found the seated dime on?

AJ. I don't dare take her detecting with me. Afraid she would skunk me every time. She is one of the luckiest people I know when it comes to finding things like this, besides unfortunately she is not really interested in detecting. I guess there has to be one person not affected by this addicting and exciting hobby at my house. I am. Glad it is not me. I enjoy the hobby too much. HH

Ha! :rofl: Yeah, My wife does the same thing to me! "look what I found and did not even need a detector!" ...She found this stuff at a garage sale...came home all proud of herself! Made me take this pic, and then post it here even! Well, at least She's paying attention to metal there, DD33! I guess people prefer different ways of hunting is all,
I'd much rather be kicking chips in a totter for pennys than negotiating with some old woman at a garage sale over the price of a beanie baby! :rofl:
Mud

yeah like taking a woman fishing 33 they always seem to do well :lmfao: its good for the ego :blowup:

hunting is hunting garage sale or detecting but I am with you Mud much rather deal with some dirt than some old duck, but having said that I have found some good buys at yard sale :biggrin:

AJ

Ouch mud. She laid that on thick on you about her yard sale finds. I am with you I like to dig it out of the ground instead of buying it somewhere. Let her know however if she goes to a yard sale and they are selling a metal detector or some gear that could be used for metal detecting, she is not to return home without it. Lol.