Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Only

rwsnc

If I am really only interested in finding silver coins and the 3 kHz coil is the best frequency for finding silver, do I need to bother with any other coil in the 7.5 kHz or 18.75 kHz range?

Bob

I've got the 9" 7.5 CC stock coil, the 5 X 10" DD 18.75 coil and the 6" DD 18.75 coil.

Right now, my favorite is the 5 X 10" DD 18.75 kHz coil. The only other one that I would want would be a 9" 3 kHz DD coil, if and when Minelab comes out with one.

I can't speak for all..but I do not get as deep with the 3khz as I do with the standard 7.59 coil... It doesn't even air test as deep.

Hummm, El..... That's interesting. I had a 3 kHz 9" CC coil for a couple hours. That one didn't air test well, either.

I returned it for the 6" DD coil. I guess the 6" is better for "ferreting" out coins buried in amongst trash, but I just can't cover as much ground with it. Everything has it's trade off.

I like the stock 7.5kHz coil for coins. I have found silver coins with all my coils. Stock 7.5kHz concentric / Elliptical 18.75 DD and the 6" DD 18.75kHz coil. Both of the DD coils I use were in prospect mode at the time of the silver finds which nearly blew my ears off. Even when I switch over to All metal the signals were very sweet reading in the 40's. The funny thing is over the weekend I was using the stock 7.5kHz concentric coil and hit a target that showed 40 on the TID, excited about the reading I pinpointed and carefully extracted the target and out came a copper half penny with the date 1953 in very good condition. This was totally unexpected of course. I must say I do enjoy the stock coil and with the sensitivity up as far as you can run it does a pretty darn good job. For the extra coverage I'm actually thinking about the 7.5kHz 10.5" DD. Probably didn't answer your question but it may help you some in your decision.
Cheers!

I was thinking along the same lines you are about getting a 7.5 kHz 10.5" DD coil. If I remember correctly, it was either Digger or Barnacle Bill that pointed out that the 18.75 5 X 10" DD coil will do about the same thing that the 7.5 10.5" DD coil will do. We're only talking about 1/2 " in coverage. I think he brought up a very good point.

The only thing that still puzzles me is that someone from another forum told me that if all things were equal, you would get about 3" more depth by changing from the 18.75" coil to the 7.5 kHz coil and 3" more yet by moving to the 3 kHz coil.

So it sounds like we could be giving up about 6" by using a 18.75 kHz coil over a 3 kHz coil (again, assuming everything else is equal).

The confusion continues....

Silver coins are few and far between. 30 years ago they were common, but many of them got cleaned out over the years in places like parks and Commons. In older sites, there just weren't that many silver coins to begin with. That being said, The 3 and 7.5 kHz coils will work just fine. Silver will ring out lound and clear with any coil made for the X-Terras for that matter, but don't limit yourself to just the silver. There are many valuable copper coins and tokens out there waiting to be dug up. Ron

You're right about more seemed to be around 30 years ago. 30 years ago, I had a pretty good collection. Like a dummy
I left them with my ex when when split. Now I'm just trying to build another collection.

and I honestly think that at the end of the day whatever you feel most comfortable with using or should I say whatever coil you feel most comfortable and confident with you should use. I'm not one to get into the technical side of things however as long as your getting good results on a consistant basis with the coils or coil you use that to me gives you the answer you need.
Cheers!

between the 3 concentric coils. I chose one over the other for the manner in which they respond to the conductivity of specific targets. I believe the theory of lower frequencies being better suited for higher conductive targets, AND higher frequencies being better suited for lower conductive targets is true. Although all 3 frequencies will detect the US coins I search for, I think that the 18.75 kHz coil is a bit more sensitive (overall) than the other two. I base this opinion on having to set the sensitivity a bit lower for the 18.75 kHz coils than I do the 7.5 or the 3 kHz, to obtain similar results. (falsing, chatter etc) But again, after lowering the sensitivity on the 18.75 coil to a point of stability, I don't see any appreciable differences in depth of detection for coin sized targets.

Which one do I chose for what I do? Considering that the 18.75 kHz is more sensitive, you'd think I would be using it. But I don't. I hunt for old coins at old sites. And the overwhelming majority of those coins are copper and silver. Higher conductors. Since the 18.75 kHz coil is better suited for lower conductive (gold) and smaller "jewelry type" targets, it will also be more sensitive to those lower conductive pieces of foil and can slaw. That is why I chose the 3 kHz for most of my open field hunting. In my opinion, not only is the 3 kHz coil "hotter" on silver and copper. I think the 3 kHz coil does a better job of "ignoring" those smaller bits of low condutive trash. Iin all metal, it still detects them. But they provide an audio response that allows my ears and brain to determine whether I want to dig or not.
The 7.5 kHz coil falls right in the middle! And I have to think that is why it was chosen for the "stock" coil. It serves the needs of a majority of weekend hobbiests. And, at the same time, give those of us who think we need every coil for every detector (me included), something to compare the others to!

If I could chose any coil design I wanted, I'd recommend to Minelab that they expand the 3 kHz coil lineup. Can you coin shooters imagine having an X-Terra 6-inch DD coil at 3 kHz? And can you relic hunters imagine a 3 kHz in the 10.5-inch DD? :clsoedeyes: Come on! A guy can dream, can't he? HH Randy

Thanks Randy. My main interest is old American silver coins. With the soil conditions around here, I would opt for a 9" or even a 5 X 10" elliptical 3 kHz DD coil, if and when Minelab decides to produce one.

n/t

In my experience. Double digits on clad in the sand beach hunting. I haven't taken it off since this summer for beach and field hunting for silver and clad. Hits coins much harder than the 5X10, but has trouble with nickels and other low conductive targets. Will switch back to the 5X10 this spring when targets are shallow and there is at least a chance for gold. The 5X10 detects coins fine, but doesn't hit as hard as the 3 although it is also deep enough on coins.

MAybe I better have it checked out..Because it sure doesn't go as deep as what you guys are saying.