Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver..... Opinions wanted.

zippy4zz

Sunday I hunted a pretty old park in downtown Memphis. It was a little over a 5 hour hunt. I probably pulled close to 15 modern quarters and 10 modern dimes out of the ground, but no silver.
Plenty of 1965 and younger, but no silver whatsoever. My question is, with all these quarters in the ground from varying depths of 2 to 7 inches, why is there no silver? Which leads me
to my next question. Do people who have detected this park, (and I'm sure its been hunted to death), bypass clad quarters and dimes, to go after silver only? The signals are so close
to silver, I would be surprised if people actually pass up these signals, thinking its just clad. But, I'm the greenhorn, and would love your opinions.

Thanks,

Zip.

Silver ain't easy to find, keep at it long enough and you will find some. Most of the silver I find comes from virgin sites and are usually dimes. On a metered machine...clad dimes and quarters read so close that you can't bypass them, some say they can tell the difference, I'd like to hunt behind them and show them what they are walking by.

zippy4zz, a lot of the silver was taken out of those downtown parks 2, 3 and 4 decades ago. Any silver that is left is now masked by modern coins and trash. And, I'm not sure they actually get hunted that hard today. Panhandlers there will typically drive you nuts. HH jim tn

I know Jim TN and his buddy Chris find the silver in Memphis on a fairly regular basis. What do you swing ???

How long have you been detecting ??? Try different areas of the park.. Like the other poster said " Parks have been hit hard" The easy silver is gone...

Is the park older than 1965 ? If not , well that could be one reason or if fill was added several decades ago , that could be another reason...

I think Jim pretty much summed it up - the "easy silver" in public areas is for the most part long gone, and what's left is masked by trash and other items. Not sure if there is a detector out there that can differentiate a silver dime from a clad dime on a REGULAR basis, since ground conditions vary too much from one place to the next for accurate target ID

Private property is the best bet for finding silver as long as it's old enough and the ground hasn't either been filled, detected previously, or isn't too cluttered up by aluminum trash. Most of the rentals I get onto in Memphis have a LOT of pennies, both copper and zinc; and it gets frustrating at times digging five 1959 Memorials and juuuuuusssttt missing a Wheat!!! If you find an area that's giving up more than one early Memorial, keep at it as the odds of a silver target increase in this case. If you're finding Wheats...you are where you need to be!!!

You never know what you can find at a homesite - Gerald (Tabman) and I walked onto a house built in 1954 that gave up 10 silvers and more than 50 Wheats in one day of hunting, all contained on a 9000 sq ft lot; but a couple weeks prior to that we hunted a house built in 1949 that gave up nothing but clad - you just never know until you start looking! Good luck!

In my town there is a City Park that at one time many years was a baseball field. Adjacent to it is a former National Guard Armory. My first time of covering those two pieces of property I found one Silver Quarter. Both of the areas had been detected hard in the past. Had one gentleman tell me that he had taken every coin out of those two areas.

In subsequent visits I have retrieved three silver dimes out of the Park and one silver quarter and five silver dimes out of the Armory. My son also found his first silver coin there.

Keep hitting that park and listen closely for those weak, Iffy, targets. They just might be the silver you are looking for.

Jim, I think your right. Silver must have been taken out a long time ago. And now that Clad piles up and no one really must detect there anymore.
----
George, your right about iffy signals. I need to dig more of those. Just can't seem to pinpoint those to well, as alot of the iffy signals I dig,
I just can't locate, but Im sure thats part of being new to the sport.
----
CZ, you summed it up best about Memphis. Key is the private property. And yes, a lot of dimes. Found two merc's and a silver rosie
at a friends house in midtown today. Also, been checking out your vid's. Very cool.
lm surprised your still finding good stuff in Overton! But, I know your a pretty experienced hunter.
----
Elton, I swing a minelab ctx3030. Been at it just over a year.
----
Zip.

Oh man.that is the ultimate detector... keep looking..it's there waiting for you..

Is it possible that the location that you had been detecting was a poor area and silver coins would not have been as common as say copper coins,probably talking aload of rubbish but i dont live across the pond,but its a possibility i would have thought.

Like gold, silver is where you find it.
I've found silver in every so called pounded park except for a couple parks.
How old is that park? Does it have at least a turn of the Century history with hoards of people?

I have an old park here that is similar to the one you described with a rich turn of the Century history. 3 years ago when i first searched it i found nothing but clad. Next couple times out same thing some clad and the last time, skunked completely. Gave up on it thinking it was indeed hunted out.

A few weeks later i passed the park on my way to do errands and happened to have my detector with me. What the heck, why not?
Searched the perimeter of the park near the woods. Found a silver ring and a few wheats that day.
To make a long story short, over the last 3 years i pulled out 70+ silver coins out of that park. Many Barber's dimes, 4 Barber Quarters, one Barber half, a bunch of Indians and a whole lot of mercs.
Many WWI and WWII medals, cool brass Chalmers model T key fob medallion, rings, old brass lipstick cases, boy scout tie clasps, etc. were found there too.
This park has been my most productive and still stubbornly gave up 7 more silver dimes last Summer.

What changed since those first few times where i only found clad?

-The first few times out i searched the wrong areas of that park with heavy discrimination and auto sensitivity. The area where the modern crowds congregate today.
The park is loaded with pull tabs and is a corroded nail grave yard.

-The majority of the silver coins were deep with iron nearby, likely the reason they were walked over. In fact one area of the park where i found most of the mercs and Indians, the coins were anywhere from 8 to 12+ inches deep. Found some clad in this particular area, the deepest of which was about 3 to 4 inches. Then no coins until i got to the 8 inch depth. There is a coin dead layer from about 4 to 8 inches. That tells me the park was filled a few decades ago.

- After finding my first silver coin which was deep, i changed my strategy mainly settings to get rid of discrimination and ratcheted up manual sensitivity. Also my NEL Tornado coil didn't hurt either. With all the iron in this park and the remaining coins deep, yep a lot of iffy signals but most paid off.

There's another park here with a similar rich history where i only found a few silver coins in the last couple years. This park with its past history is a popular detectorist hang out and accordingly most of the oldies have been harvested. One day early last Summer i searched this park again knowing i probably would only find a handful of clad. Even the clad is scarce in this park.
I started a thread a while back on the eTRAC forum descibing my 'out of the box' strategy that day.
There's an area of the park where hi voltage towers cross the park. I always stayed clear of this area because the intense EMI made my detector next to useless.
It dawned on me so did other detectorists.
So i dialed in my detector settings to minimize EMI effects and to my surprise right under those high tension wires i found a seat'd dime in excellent condition. Last Summer, under or near those towers i found two seat'd dimes, 3 Barber dimes, 4 mercs, 7 Indians and a bunch of wheats. Most of these coins because of the EMI were iffy signals at best.
Whats interesting is i only found a few clads in this area and all were fresh drops. That suggests other detectorists who did search this area in the past only got the shallow clad and disregarded the deeper iffy type signals. Or their detectors had serious issues with the EMI and could only get the shallower keepers.
Sometimes you just got to think 'out of the box'

Great post ironsight! :surprised: bookmarked for a couple of readings to absorb the 'strategy thinking hunt' you employed! :clapping:

Guys, every once in a while a post like this comes up and can take us all deeper into the 'thinking game' that successful metal hunting involves...this is one of them, read it a few times, let it roll around in your brain, digest it and chew on it for a while...think about some of your areas that fit ironsights paradigm, and hit it with his advice in mind...pure gold here for you old silver boys if you read it a few times and think a bit...

Take the road less traveled, 'out of the box' method that is too tough for most to tread, especially in older public parks that have been 'hammered'.....that seems to be the baseline running pattern to the successful old silver guys now a days..:beers: I've read a lot of posts, trying to figure out a hunting style for success, so a guy needs to take notice of ironsights advice and experience here, freely shared!...:thumbup:

full disclosure: I'm a quickbroom shallow cladstabber and have never found a seated, for those of you that want to..this is your Holy Grail of a post!:please: I'd wet myself bloody stupid for a Barber Half!:rofl:
Mud

I pass over the shallow stuff, unless it's a boredom dig and/or a quarter close to surface. The silver/old coins that are still around on public ground is deeper so those are the signals I lean towards..... Hard habit to break (passing a coin) coming from a beep & dig I used for 22 yrs......

Hey mud thanks for your kind words. :)
I have to say i've also been silver skunked more times than i care to remember.:stars:
The parks around here have been hyper pounded. The key is dog'd persistance along with research and gut feelings.

Here's a collective pic i took of my 2012 finds most of which the silver came out of the first park i described in my previous post.
Didn't take a collective pic of my 2013 or 2014 finds however.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/2012Finds1_zpscd4b9e72.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/2012Finds2_zps8f69e50c.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/2012Finds5_zps8fd6805d.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/2012Finds6_zpsd993c799.jpg

Here's the 1st Seat'd i found under those hi-tension towers last Summer at only a wopping 5 inch depth.
The second one was a 1853 dime in slightly worn condition.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/5_28_zps8a39af59.jpg

Thanks for all the great posts from everyone. Ironsight especially! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me.
The willingness of everyone to help out a newbie on this forum humbles me.
Thanks again,

Zip.

zippy, here's a good resource that I use to find silver in the parks that I hunt: http://www.historicaerials.com/ It's aerial photography, and will get you back to the 1950's for Memphis. Look for old ball diamonds, footpaths, and other interesting spots that aren't there anymore or may have been changed to a different part of the park.

I tend to agree with bootyhoundpa. I think the most likely explanation is that the park is either not old enough to yield such coins or has had fill placed on it. Parks that have been hit hard thirty or forty years ago still will yield plenty of silver today simply due to the fact that the technology/depth of detectors today is far superior to any detector 20 years old or older. The fact that this park yielded ample clad is evidence nobody has hit it hard in a while. Silver is not masked by clad.....they are virtually the same signal except just deeper.

zippy4zz-If that park is older and doesn't have a lot of trash, I would try a large coil for greater depth in hopes to maybe pull silver if it is there. Good Luck!