Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Picket Spill

fishes02

A long time coming, this was going to be my last hunt in this area, and on my way out stumbled upon this hit at 76. Had only picked up 3 wheat's until this hit, and initially pulled out the Standing Liberty. Swung a second time, and more silver followed. Not in a hurry to see what is under the dirt just yet. Don't know when I will get this lucky again. Pulled out seven silver in all, two army buttons, and a pair of dog tags. And, yes I will need to back now!!!

Tks for looking.

Beautiful and congratulations on the pocket spill. Please show us the entire finds when you get them cleaned. We would love to see them. Thanks for sharing and HH, Nancy

A very nice find, but have a slight conflict. When researching one of the dog tags I've come to learn that this PFC died in battle in 43. Think I will go talk to the base museum director.

Cliff

Very nice indeed. Possibly the dog tags were given to someone and they lost them. I guess I don't understand what the "conflict" is.

Hard to believe it's not been found already. Good to see there are some piles under the ground still.
Standing liberties and Buffs were still in circulation when I was a kid and it was rare to find them with a date on them.
Gotta be a reason?

Wow. Really nice finds... The MXT is a great all around machine for sure.

Went back for a couple of hours to my favorite spot, and came across a couple of wheats, I'm starting to think they were planted, and a first year Mercury. No D, but not throwing back!!

Cliff, Sounds like you have a nice honey hole for detecting for the next few years. That Merc looks as though it's been off struck. Nice finds and thanks for sharing them with us.

We got out yesterday but that wind was too much for me. Larry came home with a Rosie and a couple of wheats but I didn't last long enough to find anything but 4 pieces of clad.

When I go out looking for the old stuff I always stop at a tot lot first just to pick up a couple of clad coins. In that way I don't come home empty handed, and the clad pay for the batteries. So it's all good; and I hate being skunked!

I finally broke down, and purchased a 2nd 5.3 eclipse. The first one that I jerry rigged a while back finally gave up the ghost, and the 950 in the woods is just a little too much. So I should be able to get better separation here on out, and not have to dig up so many shell/bullet casings.

Will let you know how it goes, in the mean time we keep on swinging.

By the way how do you and Larry display your keepers?

Cliff

Cliff,

Sure is disappointing about having to purchase another 5.3 coil. It is a good cherry picker in trashy spots and I would hate to be without mine. Please keep us posted.

I know exactly what you mean about being "skunked". Boy oh boy I sure hate that and if it looks like it's going to happen, I'll dig a zinc Lincoln just so I won't be skunked. :thumbup:

We card our finds, date them, where we found them, etc. and put them in our own albums and kept in the lock box at the bank.

My new spot has been very good to me, and now that my new 5.3 as arrived I can hit the dirty spots. A lot of swinging though, but it keeps turning up the keepers!!!

Tks for looking

My goodness Cliff, that's a lot of silver! Congratulations on finding those beautiful coins. Oh, I know you'll love that little coil. Thanks for showing and sharing with us. :thumbup: HH, Nancy

You know I've been MD now for seven years, and before this last site I could have probably counted all the silver that I have found on the one hand. So this site has been very good to me, and it was just by accident that i found this acre site in the woods. Had just left a soccer field, and walked about 30 feet into the woods and started swinging. And all it took was pulling the one Buffalo nickle, and the rest is history. Let's just hope that the site dries up.

Good luck to all in the New Year!!!

Cliff in Maryland

Great story Cliff! Goes to show us all that coins are everywhere. I wonder what was happening in the woods to have had a large pocked spill like that? :blush::inlove:;):biggrin: