Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Sabre II

Jeff (or)

I am considering on buying a Silver Sabre II. From the photo's it seems to be in average condition for it's age. (BTW, how old a unit is it?) I want it for coin & jewelry hunting and possible some ghost town hunting. I would really appreciate any thoughts, comments, etc, from anyone who has one or has used one. Also how does it perform using other coils then the 8".
Thanks, Jeff

An excellent all-time classic detecter...released in 1991.

Excels in all of the three areas you mention. Performance isn't quite as deep as the newer ones, and it's a little more heavy.
But put a 5.75" coil and take it to a ghost town, and it still outperforms most units today. (as far as iron separation)

Have fun,
mike

RAYMOND INGRAHAM said:
Cibola questions, 1.if a coil is a basically a antenna (yes ?) shouldnt the cable be the same impedance (or swr in radio terms )

1. if a coil is basically an antenna...(yes?)...

We can stop there. No.
A very common and often quoted misconception (and over simplification) is that the coil operates as an antenna.
Kinda...sorta...but not really.

(Although the overall coil does need to be built to a specific impedance,)
In reality...(electronically) the search coil has far more in common with a transformer.

What we call transmit and receive windings in the search coil act as the primary and secondary of a transformer to create a constant/stable Induction Balance field.
Then that electromagnetic field is passed over, say a coin, the field induces an eddy current in the target that unbalances the field.,,allowing us to 'sense' the target.

Another way to put it...in radio terms...is that an antenna operates in a 'far field' mode of operation. Transformers and metal detectors operate in a 'near field' mode.

An excellent resource for curious electronic enthusiasts is the book "Inside the Metal Detector" by Overton and Moreland...
It will answer more technical questions about the theory of metal detector operation than you thought you wanted to know.

:)
mike

Jeff (or) said:
I am considering on buying a Silver Sabre II. From the photo's it seems to be in average condition for it's age. (BTW, how old a unit is it?) I want it for coin & jewelry hunting and possible some ghost town hunting. I would really appreciate any thoughts, comments, etc, from anyone who has one or has used one. Also how does it perform using other coils then the 8".
Thanks, Jeff
What would be the cost, delivered to you?

What is "average wear?" I pamper all of my detectors and just acquired, and sold, a beautiful Silver Sabre II in at least 95% condition last year. It was in excellent shape and cost me $200, but performance was terrific, and even a little hotter than my personal original Bandido.

The Silver Sabre II is a very usable detector for multi-applications, but the more versatile multi-purpose model from that era would be the original Bandido or Bandido II. Those models feature a manual Ground balance which would let you better handle different ground mineral conditions as well as make sure the detector and coil used have a proper, functional Ground Balance setting.

The Silver Sabre II was produced from 9/'91 thru 5/'98, so it could be 18 years 'young' in two months, or almost 24½ years old.

For search coils, the 8" I would keep on a spare lower rod in case I needed it some time, but the 6" Concentric coil [size=small](they call it a 5.75) [/size] would be my most used search coil. That's what I keep on each of my three Tesoro's as it makes them light and handy, works well in and around brush and building rubble, and helps pick good targets from modern trashy sites as well.

Monte