Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Sabre uMAX Threshold Setting

berryman

Can anyone explain the purpose of the threshold setting on the Silver Sabre uMAX?

Normally, the threshold setting is only found on machines with a conventional all metal hunting mode. However, the Silver Sabre uMAX is only in the all metal mode when the pin point button is depressed. As I doubt that anyone would hunt with this machine with the pin point button constantly depressed, I fail to see any useful purpose for having a threshold setting on the Silver Sabre.

Not sure if this helps, but on my cibola, if I'm getting a weak (quieter-deeper) signal in disc, I can turn up the threshold (gain) to make it hit harder and louder so I can x swing to locate better. Helps sometimes too to get a better idea without headphones where the signal falls out when thumbing. If it's too quiet (deep) I'll turn up the threshold to get louder signal, then thumb the disc to find where it falls out.

Again, not sure if it helps on that unit.

Edit: like supertuning, you can't use the pinpoint button with threshold up.
Can also let you supertune the detector to get deeper targets. Videos on YouTube about this.

Having had and used a SSumax for years, everything I've read (including the instruction book) mentions that a slight threshold hum in pinpoint (all metal) enhances the performance of the discrimination mode. Just a slightly audible hum is supposed to do.
BB

Very true. Supposed to be the most stable that way and best overall performance.
Supertune is for raw depth and power.

The setting of the threshold signals establishes the minimum sound for deep targets,
- so turning this setting up will greatly enhance the sound for deep targets, although the detector may become erratic,
- while adjusting the threshold too low will cause a loss of depth.

This information from the Toltec 100 manual but it applies to most (but not PI machines) if not all of the Tesoro family of detectors.