Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver today with the ATG

MikeLab

I went to a tot lot today and shifted it into All Metal and full sensitivity. At first I was not thinking and tried to use Disc 1 and almost walked away. Then the light came on in my head and I started to hit tiny targets. First was a fake diamond pin then some iron trash--tiny pieces of wire and necklace chain pieces and hooks, and bobby pins. I was digging everything after checking it with Iron Audio and even if it grunted I dug anyway just to see. I got very comfortable with it in no time. Some iffy targets give a little grunt but others there is no question about it being iron. Then I found a child's ring. It looks silver and says "India" on the inside. Now I might have thought otherwise, but it is the thinnest ring I have ever seen. I mean almost like aluminum foil. That's why I think it is silver. Later on I went back to the lawn area in the park and found a 1946 Roosevelt dime. It was about 8 or 9 inches deep. Not much but it still felt good to see silver. I think there are some other out of discrimination range targets near there but I didn't have my digger and the roots were more than I could deal with, so I'll come back and check it again.

So do you like the All metal mode better than Disc 1 ?

I been using Disc 1 for the mos part. Sometimes I will use Disc 2
but not much.

I think the Iron Audio feature is the ticket. Sure lets you cut
down on the trash a person digs.

Obviously All Metal is better if the trash level is not too high. I was in Disc 1 with sensitivity at 8 when I hit the silver dime. When a target is that deep, you have to be right over it and it's a tiny high tone I almost missed. Even the pinpoint tone was faint.

On another note, I tossed a gold ring out in my yard and went to find it. It gave a very scratchy signal and I did not understand why this was happening. I could barely tell it was the gold ring. It did give a cleaner tone when I lifted the coil up several inches. The ground is lots of sand with a high ground balance and trash everywhere it was hard to find a clear place to ground balance. What I did was turn the iron discriminate up in Disc 1 and then it gave a nice clear tone, no more scratchy sound. I don't know if this is the ultimate answer, but it sure made it a lot easier for surface targets.

Way to go on the Rosey. That was some hard core hunt in all metal with full sens. but it paid off.

Yes, the All Metal will test your patience and it's not as easy for coin hunting, but for nugget hunting practice (tiny targets) it is the way to go. BTW, in my first post on this thread I meant to say "out of target ID range" not "out of discrimination range".

Once I hit that silver, I really slowed down and was more careful. I realized I was going too fast and not thoroughly checking each target. Some places in that park I thought were empty, but just going slow I found several targets. Also, I like to work the area just outside the main trashy area. Where the targets are just a little bit more spread out. If I have to go to Disc 2 I get frustrated. A small coil will help someday.

Strange I tried to get my gold ring to give me the sputtering today and no matter what setting I used it just gave a good tone. The ground is mostly sand and it did rain a couple days ago but it is dry now. That's the only thing I can think of.

Went out to the park after dinner tonite and got another silver dime. I was in Disc 1 and it was a solid hit at almost 8 inches deep. It said 82 on the target ID and I thought silver dimes hit at 85 (air test). It might have been tilted a bit. Also the other day I found a 1937 S Buffalo nickel. I don't claim I know this machine but I am trying to listen for the softer signals. For some reason the nickels just about reach out and grab me.

I found a sterling charm (from a charm bracelet) last night. There was a zinc penny nearby and I almost left it, but I heard an even higher pitched tone than usual in Disc 1. I thought all high tones were the same pitch, but I'm sure I heard it. Don't know if the silver caused it or what. Never noticed it on the deep silver dimes.

Found a place where I could do an All Metal hunt. Pulled up a 38 D Mercury (sounds like a bra size LOL) about 6 inches down.
All Metal is the way to go if you can. I started listening for the faint sounds that were high on the target ID--high 60's and up. It's hard to get weened from the Disc 1 mode but it's what I needed to do.