Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver uMax in freshwater how safe?

kirk01

I have been using my Silver uMax at a freshwater beach with no problems.

However I only allow myself to hunt in the water to a depth of 1 1/2 ft. max.
How much deeper can I safely go using the stock coil?

The good stuff is in 3 to 4 ft. of water.
How deep are these coils rated as "waterproof"?
I have the control box in a plastic bag.

Nope, I don't have the money for a Tiger Shark at this time.

Any info would be appreciated.
How far would you push it?

Good Hunting

Denny

Shallow wading only, don't tip coil above control box as water can run down inside of the shaft and in thru mounting hole of control box. The coil is completely waterproof, not the box. If you drop the detector in the water, as in stepping in a hole, and loss of balance........the detector is toast. My opinion only.

the coil is a non issue,,,,,, heed the above warnings and get a longer shaft to go deeper fi you like,,,, HH

Might tie tie a cord around the detector and your neck so you can't inadvertently set it or drop it in the water.
BB

I have seen some mods where people have taken the control box off the rod and put it inside one of these to make a "poor man's water machine".

Need to make the wire connections waterproof but that doesn't look all that hard with the correct connectors.

http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-2500-Clear/OTR3-2500S-01,default,pd.html?dwvar_OTR3-2500S-01_color=01&start=3&cgid=otterbox-2500-cases

More info here...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1269416,1272003#msg-1272003

BarberBill said:
Might tie tie a cord around the detector and your neck so you can't inadvertently set it or drop it in the water.
BB
And a plastic bag just to give a few extra seconds to quickly grab it

Thanks for all the above info and advice.
While always keeping in mind protection and caution regarding the control box,
I also was (am) concerned about how deep I could go without water pressure causing a problem at the area where the cable meets the coil.

I was told by a long time Silver uMax user that he hunts in calm freshwater up to 6 inches below the control box with no problem.

My "waterproof" Minelab coils for the X-Terra are only rated to 20 inches deep max.
Tesoro waterproof coils and cable connections for the uMax don't give max depth info that I can find.

I will cautiously go in a little deeper and report back in a week or so.

I have two Silver uMax's, but am in no hurry to end up with just one!

Good Hunting

Denny