Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Umax

pointwhisperer

Shout out for tesoro i really enjoy using the silver in parks i prefer it over my minelab explorer se very light can swing all day and if you ever need anything make sure to ask for Rusty he will take can of you .

pointwhisperer said:
Shout out for tesoro i really enjoy using the silver in parks i prefer it over my minelab explorer se very light can swing all day and if you ever need anything make sure to ask for Rusty he will take can of you .

The Tesoro Silver

slingshot said:
Keeping you sweep speed slow and steady can add an inch to the depth-from my 8 years with mine-FYI.

You are correct about a slow sweep adding depth, but another benefit from a slow sweep speed is more unmasked targets.

So why do I head out swinging like a Banshee Indian on the war path? I just can't help myself sometimes. :shrug: I usually calm down after a few hours of swinging.:)

tabman

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been interested in detecting for many years and have owned a few different types of detectors. I recently purchased a Silver Umax and I am looking for advice on its use. I live in southern Indiana and look forward to being part of the forum.

INDIANATHR said:
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been interested in detecting for many years and have owned a few different types of detectors. I recently purchased a Silver Umax and I am looking for advice on its use. I live in southern Indiana and look forward to being part of the forum.

Welcome to the forum. You got yourself a really good detector. Lay some different targets out on the ground and keep going over them until you get a good ideal what each sounds like. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1755256,1756064 Always run the discrimination low, so you won't miss any small gold jewelry. The Silver is the best detector that I have when it comes to telling me what junk targets are. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1745491 http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/309615-amazing-tesoro-silver-umax-keeps-giving.html http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=125083

tabman

Set the discrimination just above iron and turn the sensitivity up until you get chatter and back off until the chatter goes away. (I never get chatter and run sens at 10+). Start by listening real well to the tone. Pass several times over the target real slow, turn 90 degrees and do the same. LISTEN to the tone you get. Is it clean all the way through, broken clean broken, etc.. Now turn up the Disc. and do the same thing. See if the target can be eliminated with disc. Now lift the coil up slowly and swing over the target. This will give you an idea of depth. If you lift the coil 1 inch and lose it, the target is deep! Now dig the target and see what ya got. Now find some available memory space in your brain and store this info! When you first start with the Silver this methods allows you to get lots of information from each target, allowing you to start to learn it's language. In about 4-6 hours of use doing this you will have a real good idea of whats down there before ya dig. Coins will become real obvious. You don't have a display to lie to you, it's all in the ear.

When I first got my Silver uMax I was not too impressed. I had been returning to the hobby after 8 years. I guess I was expecting the coins to just pop out of the ground! I bit the bullet, went out and learned the unit and I am highly impressed with this simple, little, light weight gem! Learn as much as you can from each target before digging and you will get good real quick. I spent my first 4 hours digging everything to learn all that I could. Remember metal detectors work off of target conductivity and many things in the ground can have the same conductivity as a coin. In the end you will be much better at metal detecting by learning on a great machine like this. You will not be a zombie staring at a display.

Dollar for dollar this detector has lots of performance for the buck. In the hands of an experienced user I have no doubt it can run with some of the bigger dollar units.