Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver vs Clad = Same ID???

HEBEGB

I am new to the SE Pro, but I have a question. In just playing around with some targets in the yard, a silver Washington registers the same as a clad quarter in both the SmartFinds mode and the Digital mode at 00-29. Am I missing something? I just thought that there would be a difference in either ferrous or conductivity or both. This is using Bryce's program by-the-way. I appreciate any insight that you guys can offer.

Sounds right to me. The numbers and smartfind will most always be (to me) identical regardless of what type of quarter it is. But if you have a good set of ears the audio may be slightly different. Unfortunately I do not, so at the very least I know it's a quarter. Even so ... if I knew it was a clad quarter and not silver and did'nt dig it, I would be a fool.

a silver dime will have more of a higher "tiny bell-like"..."tinkling" sound I call a "warble".

Does this always hold true?....no...and I'm not saying you will know the difference between the two....BUT it sure does narrow down the odds.

It isn't always this way but I have noticed it more often than not...and of course depth has a say in it as well.

I always hunt with the variability maxed at 10 which gives me the greatest tone difference between silver and the other coins.

I wonder why this is, that they would be the same TID on the Explorer, if the old ascending/descending (up/down) scale of the old TID machines (Whites 6000 di pro, Eagle, Spectrum, XLT, etc...) can easily have a numeric difference? Seems that the scale of the explorer then, should also have a difference??

Tom you would think... but half dollars are lower on the scale. My bet is on target separation based on freqs chosen during noise cancel. Lower freqs tend to separate on the lower end .... higher on the upper end. Also density, composition, size and other factors in the metal surely plays into it. It could also have to do with how the electronics GB since they dont compensate for soil. Ok.... im done guessing wheres the expert?

Dew

I don't use digital but it does register the same on smartfind. Funny thig is that a clad dime and silver dime will give a slight difference which can be noticed on different occasions like Bryce said. A clad dime usuall hits slightly to the left of where a silver dime does on my se pro in smartfind. Not sure why a quarter would be different....but it is.

Silver "usually" is a bit higher sound with a slightly different tone. <----------Notice the quotes around usually! lol

Going along with what Dave said..... the smart screen is tied to the tones. So silver dimes and quarters do have a slight different tone on deep ones so the will move slightly like Dave said.

Dew

Don't get me wrong, I too will dig anything that has a repeatable fluty tone. I was just surprised that the was no difference in tone between silver & clad. There certainly is with my X-Terra 705. I just kinda assumed that the SE Pro would also sound off differently between the two!

Sometimes my SE pro reads them just a little off of where Silver reads too. NOT ALWAYS !!!

I think one of the reasons why silver and clad have the same ID numbers on the Explorer is due to the smaller number range used. For instance, the numbers on an XLT go from 0-100 while the Explorer goes from 0-30. 3 points on the XLT scale would be approximately 1 point on the Explorer scale. So even if something did read slightly higher, it might not read high enough to move up one point on the Explorer's scale. I think they changed the conductivity scale to 0-50 on the E-trac for this reason.

I do hear a slightly different tone, MOST times, on a silver dime vs. a clad dime. Like Bryce said, the silver dime is just a bit more "tinkly" usually, and sometimes maybe just a tad higher in pitch (and on the digital screen, silver dimes -- especially Mercs and Rosies -- will more consistenly hit "29" on the scale, where as a clad dime is often bouncing between 28 and 29...)

I notice little difference between the sound of a silver and clad quarter, and little difference in ID...

Steve