Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simplex and nickles.

I really like posts like this, thanx guys.

Monte, you really write well about detectors, etc Some day I'd like you to say you created a book like this. I will give you a Nickle if you do [ LOL ]

thanx again

Here is a reply regarding the Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] and this topic and this is a copy of what I posted Friday morning elsewhere.

Matter of fact, I have watched that video a few times, and a couple of other videos, even just within the last two hours. You know what? I didn't let it bother me. It was one guy doing one test using only a Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] w/11" DD coil and a Minelab Vanquish w/9X12 DD coil and only comparing 1 US 5¢ between 2 nails.

I am not into doing videos as I don't have the $$$ or the time for a camera and such. If I did, I could have some fun doing a video of "What These Detectors CAN'T Do." and there wouldn't be many detectors that would be left out of that show, either. When I evaluate any make or model, and their standard and optional coils, I am always looking for their strengths and how well they might serve my needs.

But at the same time I am looking for any weaknesses in design, function or performance afield as well. I like to know a detector's strong points but also their weaknesses as well. They all have both.

I noticed in the video you refer to, and a couple of others I have seen, where the video maker slides in a comment about how it is Multi-IQ that is the main difference and why a Minelab model seems to out-perform a single frequency model. They can't answer specific questions about the "Multi-IQ' when asked, and they don't describe why they came to that conclusion, because many I have watched, the results had nothing to do with simultaneous or single frequency detector performance. There's a lot more to it than simply one or more frequencies at work as so much also includes other circuitry design and other function settings, plus the coil design and size used.

By the way, after I watched that video again just a couple of hours ago, I have a US Nickel and two nails on a board here in my den as I am doing tests with other detectors. Why? Just because it is interesting and I learn goods and bads about all the detectors under my roof. Also, in his video where he suggests marvelous performance on that set-up with the Vanquish, note that he didn't sweep the test samples gong lengthwise with the iron nails, only crosswise. I wonder what he'd say if he encountered that from a 90° approach? I did.

Before replying here I had to run each and every detector I own on that test. In the video he said the iron nails were about a "finger distance" between the Nickel and each nail, so I measured that with my right index finger. I used two square nails from the ghost town of 'Lost' and a 1936 Buffalo 5¢. Note, too, that under the board that I layed on my den floor are nails in the flooring that I don't believe he had in that dirt. Also, this test sample and the search coils being swept across that set-up were only 5' to 6' from my computer, and my den, with computer and the lighting, is a bad EMI experience.

I pre-test guessed what the performance might be from each detector model with the coils I keep attached, and I was almost 100% correct in the results I got. And I'll trust my testing over what I saw in the video. Here are the results I got by category:

No Positive Response to the Buffalo Nickel:

• Fisher F44 w/7" Concentric coil ... [size=small](I didn't expect it to. A very good urban Coin Hunting unit, but terrible in iron.)[/size]

A Positive Response to the Buffalo Nickel swept Crosswise as in the Video:

• Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil ... [size=small](All 2 & 3 Tone modes to Accept Nails. then to Reject nails then at Ferrous Reject.)[/size]
• Nokta / Makro Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] w/11" DD coil ... [size=small](All three modes w/Zero Disc., Reject 1-Bar (nails), and Reject 3-Bars (ferrous range).)[/size]
XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil
XP ORX w/9" X35 DD coil

A Positive Response to the Buffalo Nickel swept BOTH Crosswise as well as Lengthwise:

• Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD coil ... [size=small](All 2 & 3 Tone modes to Accept Nails. then to Reject Nails then at Ferrous Reject.)[/size]
• Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric coil ... [size=small](All 2 & 3 Tone modes to Accept Nails. then to Reject Nails then at Ferrous Reject.)[/size]
• Tesoro Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX w/6" Concentric coil
• Tesoro Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX w/6" Concentric coil
• White's IDX Pro w/6½" Concentric coil ... [size=small](Unit Modified by Keith Southern)[/size];)

Note that I never changed the position of the square nails or Nickel so all comparisons were done one right after the other. Also note that the Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' coil almost gave me good repeatable hits lengthwise, but the slightly ticky response just wasn't solid enough to match the Relic and other models that did well both directions.

Also note that the particular model in question in the video and here, the new Nokta / Makro Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup], was using the largest search coil, the standard 11" DD. It will be interesting to re-test this when Nokta / Makro release smaller-size optional coils for this device. But the audio response I did get from it, in Field, Park and Beach modes, was absolutely a beautiful response.

I had been asked about the Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] and handling the nails on my Nail Board Performance Test, so I did that again, too. I used a Wheat-Back Cent and, with that big 11" DD coil, it still hit on 6-out-of-8 possible. Using all three Discriminate modes with the Disc. set at Zero Bars t accept all Metals, then at 1-Bar to reject Iron nails, then at 3-Bars which is the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous break-point. I enjoy using my Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] and, as I''ve stated, it ought to do a lot of things better with smaller coils when they come out.

Monte

file.php

file.php
Awesome and Impressive work Monte.
As Always. A Perfectionist.