Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simplex maiden voyage, The Good, but no bad or ugly

jtalley007

I finally got out today to what I call the bullet patch. A Civil war, small patch of woods that I test every detector on. I’ve been hitting it since 1973 on and off but back on heavy when the V3i came out. I would average 12 bullets every 1 1/2 hours for many trips, over several years with V3i, explorer, CTX 3030 and the Deus.
The last time my friends came up for a hunt, 3 of us hit it with 2 Deus and one AT pro and got 4 bullets between 3 people and my friend said. “No more bullet patch for him on future hunts”

Fast forward to the Simplex, I knew this would be a great place to test it since it’s so tough to get a reading.

I was pleased at how easy it was to use, and it was very smooth here on max sensitivity which is excellent considering the EMI on lower frequency machines drives some of them crazy.

I’ll post my finds later but just sharing what I found in an hour.

2 shot bullets, one dropped bullet, a tip off a shot Minnie ball, a Spencer cartridge, some melted lead, a 22 lead bullet.

Here’s the big news, I pinpointed each target and one approached 14 inches deep, the other shot bullet at least a foot and one about 9”. Another surprise was they were all in the open, clearly where myself and surely others have combed with a fine tooth comb as well.

I was also pleasantly surprised of how much really old tinfoil I dug, since I always remove trash targets. It means I didn’t hit these in the past. Not that I like digging foil but relic hunting we dig it all above iron anyway.

If Nokta/Makro is reading our post and honest reviews, I would like 2 things on the Next update.

1). A little more power or punch in all metal mode. Us old timers love a smooth, deep AM mode to scan low trash, open woods hunting for deep whispers signals.

The nice thing about the Simplex is all you have to do to check the target is scroll over one place to the right to Field mode.

Currently the few really deep targets I got in field mode, barely changed the threshold in all metal. . A way to slow down auto tune may achieve what I’m looking for but have no way to know that?

2nd wish). would be to have a way to hunt either in modulated audio which is what it uses now, or a way to have a deep boost audio where the fringe 12-14” targets will kind of jump out at you in places with low trash and super deep stuff.

I did find some deep bullets but they barely get your attention they’re so soft, almost like a mild false reading.

I did dig one small piece of civil war nail that tricked me, but depending on their composition, this can happen on many detectors and some read them all like good signals.

Lastly, I was pleasantly surprised to find a Spencer cartridge, They are hard to detect and I’ve only found a very few here in all these years.

I wish my first detector in 1973 was half this good, it was a straight TR and 4-5” in good ground on a bullet, no discrimination, and a $349.00 price tag almost 46 years ago, WOW!

Just for the record, I bought this detector and this is an honest review. If it performed poorly I would say so.

Just think, I found deep readings in a place pounded with a $2,500.00 CTX 3030, etc

No one can argue the Simplex at this price and quality is in a league all by itself. Photo of finds later

Jerry

It is one heck of a machine. On a sight like you are talking about I know this doesn't matter but, did it give you a VDI on those deep targets?

It’s weird but in my test plot at home, I get decent target ID on a 12” Minnie ball but maybe since there’s so much EMI at this place it affected it?

I hope to get out for more testing

In my test garden I got no VDI on coins 10 inches and deeper except for my 11 inch quarter. And the audio on all those deep coins was weak.
It is still a really good machine for the money, the build quality is hard to believe.
Most of my sites are loaded with can slaw so the VDI helps me avoid digging some of the smaller pieces.

Can't wait to get one of these in fresh water. Come on N/M get a 9" concentric coil built.
A threshold boost to help bring out the deeper whispers would be nice, for my purposes Disc mode is all I need.

the current 7" open-frame design. The 9" Concentric they came out with for the Anfibio/Kruzer series was a heavier-feeling coil for 9", and the rod-mount was poorly positioned too close to the rear of the coil. That made it 'floppy' and nose-heavy, and just didn't handle as well as the 7" Concentric, or a 9" I have used on a different brand that balanced better with a more centered rod mount.

Just my field experiences and thoughts.

Monte

Hi Monte

Thanks for the insight on the coil, much appreciated. Concentric coils by design don't allow for a center coil mounting position. Having used the Fisher X series and CZ's for much of my past water hunting I never considered them bad our hard to sweep and they are fairly heavy buggers as well.

My wish for a 9" concentric is mainly for increased sensitivity to jewelry compared to the larger DD coils. That it should have less drag or water resistance then a DD is another plus. I'm not getting any younger and the 11" size DD coil as used on the Equinox for example limit my enjoyment and time spent in the water.

Tom

Jackpine Savage said:
Hi Monte

Thanks for the insight on the coil, much appreciated. Concentric coils by design don't allow for a center coil mounting position.
Tom, a Concentric coil CAN have a direct-center mounting point unless they use an open-center design coil. But when I refer to a more centered rod-mount position, I don't mean exactly 'dead-center' but positioned such that the front leading edge of the rod-mount would be closer to the center axis of the coil. Unfortunately, some coils are made with the rod-mount positioned too close to the rear of the coil. It doesn't matter if it is a Concentric or Double-D design, either. And with a more rearward rod-mount that makes a coil more nose-heavy, sometimes floppy or easily bumped out of a propper horizontal orientation with the ground, and honestly some coils just look uglier that way.

Examples of both Concentric and DD coils from Nokta / Makro with a more centered rod-mount would be the 11" DD on the Simplex+ and Anfibio, the 5X9½ DD open-frame, the 7" Concentric open-frame and 4X7½ DD solid, all of which have a better balance and feel than those with a more rear-positioned rod-mount. Some examples of a more rearward-positioned rod-mount would be the 7X11 DD open-frame coils for the earlier CoRe, Relic and original Racer, Multi-Kruzer or Racer 2, the 9" Concentric open-frame for the Anfibio / Kruzer, and even the smallest 5" DD solid coils.

The more rear-positioned rod-mount of my 'OOR' and 5" DD coils is less noticeable than with larger-size coils and they are still easy-to-handle afield. You can notice a coil get bumped out of proper position at times, but they are less likely to. I would still prefer the rod-mount to be positioned about 1" forward or closer to the center, but the smaller coils, due to size, are certainly easier to handle.

I glance at my Detector Outfit hanging on my den wall and note that several of them DO have a coil mounted that have a more rear-ward positioned rod-mount, but some of them also have a more centered [size=small](or closer-to-center)[/size] rod-mount. I use them all because they work, but also because the coils, regardless of design 'type', are lighter-weight and balance well. None that I use have a nose-heavy feel to them.

As for accessory coils for the Simplex+, I feel the 7" Concentric open-frame design Nokta / Makro uses for the coils that work well on my Racer 2 or an Impact, Kruzer or Anfibio, are very well balanced with a more centered rod-mount, and their weight and the 'feel and balance' of the coil out on the end of the rod is very comfortable and manageable. The smaller-size 5" DD coil is another that is comfortable and nicely balanced. These would be the two preferred coil sizes I would first like to see designed for the Simplex+, and a 3rd choice would be the open-frame 5X9½ DD for those who want a little more coverage on the side-to-side sweep. That is also one of the nice coils with a more centered rod-mount and balances very well.

All of these three coil designs would definitely add a lot of flexibility in what the new Simplex+ would be able to provide in a wide-range of applications.

Monte