Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simplex settings

clllclal

Just purchased and waiting to receive. While I’m waiting on it I’ve been researching as much as I can on the machine. What would be a good setting for hunting civil war relics in moderate iron and trash? Thanks for your help.
Chad

Just purchased and waiting to receive. While I’m waiting on it I’ve been researching as much as I can on the machine. What would be a good setting for hunting civil war relics in moderate iron and trash? Thanks for your help.
Chad
Chad, The first thing I always do is match-up the search coil to best handle any site. I consider the amount of brush, building rubble, and especially the amount of both ferrous and non-ferrous trash to deal with. Most of the time I prefer a smaller-size coil, and when conditions are not too terribly debris-challenging, I make use of a mid-size coil. Since they didn't make a small coil for the Simplex +, almost all of my hunting is done with their mid-size 5X9½ DD.

Settings, for me, are simple for the main adjustments:

Sensitivity: As high as possible and I only reduce it when there is EMI, and then just to the point of stability.

Discrimination: I never use Park 2. I use Park 1 when working trashier sites, and either Field or Beach when in a low-trash / sparse-target area, and especially with Iron Nails are the main problem. I like to hear all or most Iron trash so I use '0' rejection in Field and Park 1 Discriminate modes, accepting all Disc. segments. I've loaned my Simplex + to a couple of people who used Park 2, so in Park 2 and Beach mode, I only reject the 1st Disc. segment. That would include the '0' to '5' VDI range and reject most common Iron Nails.

Iron Audio Volume: I keep it at the minimum setting of '1' in the Field, Park 1 and Park 2 modes. It is not adjustable in the Beach mode so all of the ferrous targets that respond with the 2nd and 3rd Disc. segments accepted will be at the full Iron Volume level. I don't mind and I do like the Beach mode w/o VCO Audio, but when the amount of ferrous trash increases, I switch to the Field or Park 1 mode.

Back-Light: I like A4.

Ground Balance: I always use the automated GB, and on occasion I will manually GB to my preference based on the ground make-up.

Just get out and put in some time learning the Simplex + and ample search-time will let to adapt the settings to your liking. Just a reminder to use a slow and methodical sweep speed and don't get carried away by fast-sweeping.

Monte

Chad, The first thing I always do is match-up the search coil to best handle any site. I consider the amount of brush, building rubble, and especially the amount of both ferrous and non-ferrous trash to deal with. Most of the time I prefer a smaller-size coil, and when conditions are not too terribly debris-challenging, I make use of a mid-size coil. Since they didn't make a small coil for the Simplex +, almost all of my hunting is done with their mid-size 5X9½ DD.

Settings, for me, are simple for the main adjustments:

Sensitivity: As high as possible and I only reduce it when there is EMI, and then just to the point of stability.

Discrimination: I never use Park 2. I use Park 1 when working trashier sites, and either Field or Beach when in a low-trash / sparse-target area, and especially with Iron Nails are the main problem. I like to hear all or most Iron trash so I use '0' rejection in Field and Park 1 Discriminate modes, accepting all Disc. segments. I've loaned my Simplex + to a couple of people who used Park 2, so in Park 2 and Beach mode, I only reject the 1st Disc. segment. That would include the '0' to '5' VDI range and reject most common Iron Nails.

Iron Audio Volume: I keep it at the minimum setting of '1' in the Field, Park 1 and Park 2 modes. It is not adjustable in the Beach mode so all of the ferrous targets that respond with the 2nd and 3rd Disc. segments accepted will be at the full Iron Volume level. I don't mind and I do like the Beach mode w/o VCO Audio, but when the amount of ferrous trash increases, I switch to the Field or Park 1 mode.

Back-Light: I like A4.

Ground Balance: I always use the automated GB, and on occasion I will manually GB to my preference based on the ground make-up.

Just get out and put in some time learning the Simplex + and ample search-time will let to adapt the settings to your liking. Just a reminder to use a slow and methodical sweep speed and don't get carried away by fast-sweeping.

Monte

Thanks Monte for the detailed response. I can’t wait to get out and try it. Went ahead and ordered a good pair of snake gaiters as well!

Thanks Monte for the detailed response. I can’t wait to get out and try it. Went ahead and ordered a good pair of snake gaiters as well!
Hi Monte. I love your insightful posts. Lately they are very difficult to read. Maybe it’s just me but the background is a dark gray making it difficult to see the black lettering. Anyone else see this?

Hi Monte. I love your insightful posts. Lately they are very difficult to read. Maybe it’s just me but the background is a dark gray making it difficult to see the black lettering. Anyone else see this?
I have a difficult time seeing a lot of things with my eyes going on me. This is typed just as anyone would w/o any changes and I can barely read it.

This line, however, is bolder. I select a 'Tahoma' Font Style, and then I also go to Text Color and select 'Black' on the far right-hand side. I think it is easier to see and read this than the above 'standard' set-up.

Monte

I have a difficult time seeing a lot of things with my eyes going on me. This is typed just as anyone would w/o any changes and I can barely read it.

This line, however, is bolder. I select a 'Tahoma' Font Style, and then I also go to Text Color and select 'Black' on the far right-hand side. I think it is easier to see and read this than the above 'standard' set-up.

Monte
Ok, glad it works for you. i hope you get selected to test the new Nokta SMF.

Is you light bulb on ... up at the top right corner
Your Name ... PM Box ... Bell ... Iight bulb (makes it dark) / Half moon (makes it bright) .... search

Is you light bulb on ... up at the top right corner
Your Name ... PM Box ... Bell ... Iight bulb (makes it dark) / Half moon (makes it bright) .... search
Me? Yes, 'my' lightbulb is On, but I'm not a computer oriented character, just an old phart who never messes with 'extra' stuff like the Lightbulb and Moon. I have had people ask before about why my replies were so bold and others weaker and more difficult to see. I guess they were in the 'moon' version and that's why I replied like I did.

So, here you go. A readable reply in the darkened-screen Lightbulb function, but if you change to the Moon function and look, you'll notice my reply is then sightly more difficult to see and read. This ought to make you and some others pleased with my response.

Monte