Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Since 1989

dan h

I still have the Stinger I bought around 1989. Don't use it a lot, so it is like new. Has the dual knob (coarse & fine) ground balance knobs, and 4.5" and 12" concentric coils in addition to the 5x10 DD. Maybe I'll use it this weekend, poke around some overgrown areas of a local park with the 4.5".

I had an 8" and tried to find a decent 4

dan h said:
I still have the Stinger I bought around 1989. Don't use it a lot, so it is like new. Has the dual knob (coarse & fine) ground balance knobs, and 4.5" and 12" concentric coils in addition to the 5x10 DD. Maybe I'll use it this weekend, poke around some overgrown areas of a local park with the 4.5".

Awesome!:thumbup:I've got the same set up as you(plus the 3"x7"DD):garrett::detecting:
That 4.5" is great for tot lots(playgrounds). Some of my best finds have come out of playgrounds.
Keep us posted!:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

It would also help to be able to break down the detector into 3 pieces. Sometimes I take the bus to a local park that is a bit much to walk to, and I'd rather be able to break the detector down and carry in a large gym bag,

I had a Garrett Gold Hunter in 1986 and then an A2B(then went to a Compass Gold Scanner in 1990 which payed off big time for me on gold), but I have never owned a Scorpion. 1) I wonder if the Scorpion has the same identical electronics as the A2B??

That Scorpion circuit has been out for very along time, but still works good. I have heard complaints about the design of the battery box, but the TR mode for bench test--ore sampling is unique that no other detector has. 2) Does anyone know how the to bench test--ore sample with the Scorpions TR mode??

Now in modern day if I wanted to buy a brand new analog multi-purpose coin&jewelry--gold nugget hunter, I would rather get a feather-weight Tesoro Vaquero, or Lobo SuperTraq rather than a Scorpion. But if a person already has a Scorpion you might as well keep it as use it, and get the most out of it.

The coils from the A2B aren't even compatible to the Scorpion's coils. Garrett with little fanfare, updates and improves their circuits over the years. Ask yourself why has Garrett carried the Scorpion for such a long time. It was not from inept corporate business decisions or from lack of imagination. If you never used a Scorpion, I mean really learn it? How could you form a credible opinion of it and then make suggestions for a "better" detector on the basis of nothing other than hear-say, conjecture and propaganda? Garrett hold patents on their machines, they are one of a kind.
Can you ore test with a Vaquero, will the Vaquero handle rougher mineralization, can you run it under power lines with out it squealing like a strangled cat?
I like the Dave Johnson designed detectors and they do well in mineralization, the Lobo Supertrac is one of his designs so is the Gold Bug 1. They aren't better than all other detectors on every factor, but they have some good points... for nugget hunting.
John Earl designed the Compass Gold Scanner and it is a very versatile machine and handles heavy mineralization and EMI better than the Vaquero.
John Earl also designs gold machines for Whites as did Dave Johnson.
Funny when you buy a 4wd and you are a Ford man or a Chevy man or a Dodge man and then someone informs you that the Dana/Spicer differentials and the New Process 5 speed over-drive in your Chevy is made by Dodge or your Duramax diesel is in reality an Izusu engine. Brand specific...not me.

PennyFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

PennyFinder, very good points, and thank you! First of all I made a mistake, I had an A3B, not an A2B.

"Garrett with little fanfare, updates and improves their circuits over the years. Ask yourself why has Garrett carried the Scorpion for such a long time. It was not from inept corporate business decisions or from lack of imagination. If you never used a Scorpion, I mean really learn it? How could you form a credible opinion of it and then make suggestions for a "better" detector on the basis of nothing other than hear say and propaganda?"

OK, I will take my words back(eat my words) on what I said, since I have never used a Scorpion, you are right, I do not have the grounds to make suggestions for a better detector, is correct. The Scorpion may surprise alot of us on performance as a true sleeper and perform very well.

More good points, the MD engineers are multi-brand designers, I knew something of this.

So the Vaquero may have problems with EMI and bad mineralization. I knew the Vaquero did not handle iron trash well according to Monte, as the Lobo does handle iron trash better. Most ground mineralization has a lot of iron, so a detector that can handle iron better can handle bad mineralization better IMO.

"John Earl designed the Compass Gold Scanner and it is a very versatile machine and handles heavy mineralization and EMI better than the Vaquero."

I drilled a hole in my Compass Gold Scanner in 1990(with advice from Jim Straight) so I could set an internal pot screw from the outside with a small screwdriver. It seemed to handled mineralization well and was a good machine.

A used Scorpion can be picked up for a good price, and a new one is not too expensive either. I would like to get one and try it out.

Can anyone please list ALL the 'coils' in order(by size, DD, Concentric, if any custom-homemade or aftermarket ones, discontinued, and/or still available) that are still available now, and 'coils' that were available in the past(even though discontinued) for the Scorpion?? Thank you.

There were the Goldhunter 4.5 concentric (no longer made), 3x7 elliptical DD (current), 5x10 elliptical DD, GoldHunter 10.5 concentric (no longer made), and the Gold Hunter 12"concentric( no longer made)

The concentrics were dropped because they were too sensitive in heavy mineralization, but they are killer coin/ring coils especially the 10.5", laser precise pinpointing with them.

PennyFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

Thanks for explaining and also for the coil info. PennyFinder.

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_owners_manuals.htm
I contacted Garrett and she said, that is what they are there for as yes it is allowed to copy and print Owners Manuals off of their web site. It may sound like a stupid question but good to check it out.

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/manuals2/A2B-ADS-Goldhunter.pdf
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS: A2B & ADS GOLDHUNTER GROUND HOG Series Detectors
I said I had an A3B and not a A2B. Well now as I look a little closer I had both, because the original Goldhunter I had in 1986 was an American version of the Australian A2B under another label-name.

Some big round coils I found on the internet that were available, new, years ago for the Garrett 15 kHz machines: