Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Since it's been slow on the forums...let me ask a few questions from you Excal users:shrug:

tomtowns

I'll be getting an Excal within the next few months & have been wondering if there is a generally accepted time span for getting it serviced??? I'm talking about seals...maybe around the controls & cable fittings...I've downloaded the manual from minelab & haven't seen anything refering to timeframes...I plan on taking it under no more than 30 ft. with the average around 10...99.9% fresh water... Has any body had any issues with the unit leaking & is there any way to tell if you have a problem before it would fry itself? I've thought about getting a used unit but am pretty hesitant because of the issue of possible leaks & the unknown issue of seals....I know most of you here don't dive but believe you use your units a lot more...All input is greatly appreciated...thanks...HH...TT

Hey tomtowns, no worries on leakage, as long as you leave the unit stock. No water proof connectors! I don't dive, but 90% of my hunting, the unit is completely underwater. There has never been a leakage issue. Looking forward to seeing your finds on the forum.
GH

Knobs worked & still don't know, but I'll take your word on it...Minelab has always put out quality products...I may even opt for a used unit, I'm still not sure...I guess if I can find a good enough price on a "lightly" used one I may do it...I have bought several land types & have never had a problem...Thanks for the feedback & I hope I can post some good pics too...HH..TT

Buying a used water hunting unit could be a risky proposition, since you don't really know how it was maintained. I would strongly encourage you to buy new, if you could possibly afford it. You will have warranty on a new one as well and you will need it. I have broken every water detector that I have owned to date. No brand has been immune to my use. Warranty pays dividends when that occurs. Let me know if you are looking for a great dealer. I can direct you. PM me.

It's very reliable unit, i never been under 200ft. or even 10ft. but
i use it in cold water, hot water, salt water, fresh water and even in boiled water and it still going....
so don't warry about controls & cable fittings it's a right choice.

Alex.

I'll probably end up with a new unit because like you said a "water" unit could be a risky throw of the dice...I'll have a couple months to decide...In the meantime I'll be keeping my eyes open...a lot of new detectors are sold though because the New owners simply did not want to commit the time to learning or were somehow discouraged & found out that it's just not their "cup of tea"...I can't argue the warranty issue though...I have never had a problem with a detector in my 30 years of useing them but it IS comforting to have...HH...TT

I've been diveing longer than I've been detecting...over 30 yrs. & love doing both...Just can't believe it has taken me so long to put the two together, in past summers though my time has mostly been devoted to gold dredging but now my knees just won't let me climb the hills, so it's time to switch gears so to speak...Thanks for the input...HH..TT