Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Since this is our "porch" site... My crappy sliding patio doors finally hit the dirt for good! Shelle wants French doors opening OUT. Is Lowes or Home

Art SC

I'm stuck taking the dogs in and out through the FRONT door and around the house. I'm a mechanical idiot so I'd need to also get an installation deal. I'm worried about getting ripped off either on the door quality or the workmanship during installation. ANY advice is appreciated.

Feel free to PM me and I'll send you my email address if you have ideas or things I should know about in advance.

Speaking of advance... THANKS! :thumbup:

We were talking about doing some electrical work at my house and he said he could do it and he gave me his card. The guy did a great job and I still use him for any thing that I'm not interested in tackling. He's been very fair and reasonably priced. They have job boards at the Depot that list peoples cards and how they can help you. Give it a shot.

therick

... contact your areas leading independent lumber / home center dealer and ask who they would suggest you use to do the job. Their prices are usually the same, and many times they will be lower than the big box stores .... you always get what you pay for ... almost without exception.

They are made of a lesser quality by the vendor to be sold at a lower price.

Buy from an independent!!........We've learned that lesson the hard way.......you will get what you pay for.

n/t

Hey ART... just for you to think about....
I've built a lot of houses, hotels, restaurants, etc over the last 30 years ...

As far as install... It really pays to ask around.. someone who is referred by friends is a much better choice. They must have done good work or they wouldn't be referred. With door installs it's the stuff you DON'T see that is the most important. The HD or Lowes installers make their money per job so they will slam it and move on. I don't want to imply that they won't do a good job but it is a real shot in the dark.

here are my general thoughts on doors

French doors:

DO NOT install french doors unless there is a roof protecting the area.
** with OUT_Opening doors... Water gets on the top of the door and will eventually cause big problems with deterioration.
also with OUT-Opening doors the wind can cause them to slam damaging the door or even worse... seriously hurting someone.
** with IN-Opening doors ... if rain can blow on the exterior of the door the sill is very difficult to keep from leaking.. and it is not uncommon that you might not even know it until you have rot around the edges of the frame... or even worse a rotten rim joist.

Panelized french doors:
These are the type that look just like french doors except one side is actually a fixed panel.
Much better choice if weather is an issue.
I have one in my house and like it a lot.... opens "IN"
but we do have a large roof protecting it from the weather.

Sliding doors:
This is the best choice both for cost and weather. They aren't what they used to be 30 years ago, and you can get them with grids so they look like french doors. Buy through a reputable lumber yard and research a few brands. Most likely HD and Lowes will carry a more inexpensive brand.
I started installing vinyl sliders in Ocean front hotels in the late 80s. At the time everyone said I was crazy but These doors have taken a brutal weather beating over the years. The older vinyl doors have held up very well and almost look as good as the brand new ones. Now most of the northwest ocean front hotels have vinyl sliders. I put them in lots of buildings and have never had a problem.

If we weren't so far apart I'd come and put it in for ya...
Good luck ART !!
Mike

Mike provided some solid advice; I'd further suggest you shop for quality; best deals too often are NOT the best deal ! Try to get a local carpenter by referral and go with an hourly rate rather than a slam bam box store contract price. Then stand by and keep an eye on the installation. Likely cost more,( especially if you help! hah!)

Like Mike,I've installed many over the years, and work strictly hourly. I've had to make good some pretty crappy work behind some of the contract types, including those of the box store installations.
Good luck !

They have job boards at the Depot that list peoples cards and how they can help you.

Be VERY careful about selecting folks from job / calling card boards. If you do, ask for a copy of their occupational license, liability insurance, and workman's comp insurance. Then ask for several references.

If they get hurt, you are liable.

If they are doing work that they are not licensed for, they are breaking the law and you have no re-course against them. Should faulty work cause a fire or some other damage such as leaking water, mold, mildew, etc .... your insurance company will not pay unless the work was done by a licensed worker if his / her insurance does not pay or they have no insurance.

We used to have a job / calling card board in our store and took it down. We were not able to police the board to keep unlicensed / uninsured people from leaving their cards .... just because their card says licensed and insured does not mean it is so.

I'm surprised Home Depot's legal department would allow a board like that since having it would imply their endorsement of the services offered .... there is an inherent liability associated with just doing that. Next time you go in, check their board to see if they post a disclaimer on the board.

pick a brand that has proven it's self over the years and the two that come to mind are hands down Andersen and Pella, they are top of the line and I have seen them all in my many years in the trades, they cost more but are worth it plus Andersen and Pella will stand behind there windows and doors. Both Andersen and Pella make the best vinyl sliders out there that I have seen on the job sites over the years.

They cost more Art but a sliding door is a big part of your home and future investment for resale maybe down the line, you can't beat Andersen or Pella, here's a link for you to do more reading on them, somebody is asking the same question in his post, good luck.

Ray

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/remodel/msg0714491921117.html?16