Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sink rate dry wet and frozen

sube

I mainly hunt trashy spots so i use the 6 inch coil, dry conditions what happens to the ground it shrinks giving more depth and less aggressive iron falsing . But a pain to dig or you just can't dig case in point south dakota coming back from a trip out west hunting well i could not even put my digger a 1/2 inch in the ground concrete could not dig tell i got to iowa best to mark and come back .
Wet soil it expands 6 inches in a 100 inches of dirt broke down means first 10 inches of dirt over coin well loose you .6 of a inch depth grass covering the dirt well expand another 1/2 to 3/4 inch holds more water now we lost a 1 inch in depth .but wait if hunting rich organic dirt which holds more water than sandy soil were going to loose even more 2 inches .

Freeze thaw cycle what happens the ground well expand 9 percent dirt has to go somewhere up compress against trees and structures ever notice trees have a mound of dirt around them the expanded soil gets push up to the tree over time since this is a high spot the soil washes away from the tree leaving the roots showing this would not happen if the trees roots were not below the frost line.

Here's why spring is the best time to hunt that halo around that iron is broke from the freezing the halo is expanded leaving the nail not fused to the ground and halo the iron has to rust again to fuse to the ground making signal appear larger than it is .Rusty bottle caps fill with water and break
Sinking coins i have heard it all but this is why you well find that 8 inch zinc memorial or recent mintage coins at depth ( freeze thaw cycle) let's say the frost has gone 2 feet deep in the winter soil expands those fragile iron oxides on the nails and iron are going to break off and other things well happen . Grass roots break and rip from expanding .

Enter the dropped memorial it's going to get through the roots faster before the roots grow again now the main reason , we have frozen ground as it thaws from the bottom to the top and top to bottom .Ever dig in spring and water fills your hole . Say the ground has thawed 6 inches deep now it rains we have 6 inches of none frozen ground below frozen ground water can't go down it sit's on top of the frozen ground .We walk on the mat of grass that's above this slurry of mud take the grass off it's liquid mud.add some vibration lighting thunder and that memorial has free sailing down all those nails well move to as well as other things .Some years are better some not as good but happens every year.
Now that 6 inch coil has a new look at the ground targets changed position i still think nails sink faster than coins shape they well go deeper 11 inch head the targets did not move farther from each other only position changed so we still have the same number of targets under coil that's why the 6 is more effective only takes one target to change position and the 6 well light it up not so with the 11.

So no place can be worked out the coins are still there swear as you like that it is whipped out but it well never be unless you run the dirt though a screen .
So if we look at what i said anytime is good to hunt but spring well give more coins with less masking because of the iron halo not fused with nail and ground. sube

Dang, no one told me I had to have a minor in Geology to participate in this sport…..😂

I am surprised there have been no comments on your dry, wet ground statement. I happen to agree with you, but many don't. Good report on ground conditions. HH jim tn

Sure, I have to say that I do enjoy your posts they are very thoughtful - and well thought out.
Thanks for taking the time to explain what most folks wonder about.

I feel there is a book coming out soon, am I right?
Tony

I'm not writing no book plenty out there . There all vag same imfo i would like to see a book dealing with certain situations settings where to look at a site and why .To write a book would take more time than i have i'm retired and staying that way . sube