Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Six month silver drought broken...

Johnny Cache

It was a brutal winter! Now that it's nice out I'm trying to get out when I can. Between working a ton, raising our 4yr old daughter, and building our own house, I don't foresee a lot of detecting time this summer.

Nothing too old today, but it was so nice to see some silver! 1955 quarter and 1966 dime (Canada made silver dimes until '66).

Awesome hunt in my book. Nice looking house too. Joe

Great hunt - looks like it's going to be a cozy castle! You'll still want to sneak in an hour hunt here and there - gotta maintain your sanity, heh..

Nice silver.:thumbup:
Did you get out to Northgate ?

Thanks everybody.

Joel, sadly Northgate is gone, and is being developed into what ever plant/industrial hub is going in.

I was really hoping to find some goodies and mementos of days gone by in Northgate. I actually have a little story that is related to Northgate...

A few years ago my wife and I were exploring old abandoned pioneer homes, and came across an old house deep in a bunch of trees. It was the overgrown remains of a homestead. There was a very old house still standing, but leaning to the point that I couldn't believe it was still up. The main floor was one room and completely empty, except a few old large tin squares with embossed patterns on them nailed to the wall. There was a square opening in the ceiling, and the remnants of old boards nailed to the wall as a ladder. Nervously, we made our way up and saw something amazing. The attic was packed with stuff, mostly buried in shredded and rotting paper, dirt, and animal poo. There was a trunk, and piles of old magazines from the 1890's to the 1930's, and a lot of old clothes. Most of these things would disintegrate upon touching, and the smell was awful. We discovered some baby raccoons in an old box, and steered clear of them and knew the mother would return after we left.

We were able to salvage a few items - some small old bottles, a button, some WWI era stamps, and some magazines and paper goods. The best finds were some very old letters and postcards. It was interesting to read them and learn about the author. Her name was Emily Holmes Orr, and I assume the belongings in the old attic were hers. She lived in/around Northgate, and she was a nurse. It must have been a hard life being a pioneer nurse on the prairies! She was actually the founder of the Junior Red Cross, with the first branch in the world located in Northgate!

ON OCTOBER 7, 1915, MISS EMILY HOLMES-ORR ORGANIZED THE NORTHGATE JUNIOR BRANCH OF THE CANADIAN RED CROSS SOCIETY WITH A MEMBERSHIP OF ELEVEN CHILDREN. THE FIRST JUNIOR BRANCH IN THE WORLD TO RECEIVE A RED CROSS CHARTER, ITS INITIAL ATTENTION WAS DIRECTED TO THE NEEDS OF WAR CASUALTIES. THE BRANCH CEASED TO EXIST WHEN THE NORTHGATE SCHOOL WAS CLOSED IN 1964

I did manage to find a 1914 5cent silver in Northgate last summer. I like to think that Miss Emily Orr dropped it there for me a century ago!

Thanks for the interesting story.
Too bad some one never gave this stuff to a museum.
Possible you may find some more good stuff in that area.
Good luck.:detecting:

Nice finds on the silver and nice job you're doing on the house. Enjoyed the story about Northgate and the nurse. Too bad it's being developed, but that's progress.

I'm thinking I'd like to go back and put all the debris from that attic through a sifter. There might be some treasures yet to find...

Be well protected mask , gloves and other stuff
Careful for mice droppings=hetrovirus - deadly.

Congrats on you finally getting a hunt in, the silver, your new house project et.al...and thanks for the great history lesson and adventure in the attic! Funny huh? people live an entire life and are gone and forgotten so easily ..
Mud

This world is not our home, Mud, we're just passing through. I've gotten more into history since I started metal detecting and found out they don't teach hardly any local history at school. Of course, I've been out of school since 1970. lol