Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Six to eight inch Dimes

Dancer

This late sixty's ara Elem. sports field has been giving me a lot of fun the last two years, Honestly last year little over $40 in clad , couple pieces of Silver. This year, pushing little over $20 dollars & a Silver Kennedy half. I been switching the X with the Pro every other hunt. (As old as my AT Pro is, it ain't no slouch) But Now that the field has taken a real thinning, deep dimes are the majority of the findings, Once a dime gets so deep you have to depend on sound on the AT like the X. Heres where the X starts to take over. It's ability to reach down maybe a inch better (for me) means it"s even more sensitive to targets on edge. One might think a inch isnt much, but it means it's opening a whole new field of targets. In my hunts, with these two machines the Pro has gotten a dime laying flat down to seven inches. The X has pulled them down to eight. Note ( Both machines in this field, have to really struggle) Im going on the slightest squiek. Both machines are killers on nickles. But the X gives me more confidence as the field starts thinning. In by years Ive found gold down at the tot lot, but not a piece up on the big field. Thats a lot of coins and can slaw. Anyways it' kinda fun pitting the two against each other. Also, the above is all based on my 71 yr old ears. Also when I get the slightest hint on the X, I usually can call a dime (Thats of course if it's a coin at all) All my hunting is kneel and plug. Other wise , sure to get banned.

That’s good to hear, both have their strengths and weaknesses that all depend on what you want from detecting but IMO I would always choose the X.

Thank you for posting and good luck and stay safe.

Good to know the X can nab those dimes! When you say both it and the Pro "really struggle" in this field, is that because of mineralization?

-Ken

No Ken, I mean that maybe it's me struggling. When either machine meets about their tollarance of depth they give off the weakest signal that still passes for a good target. I'm running the both of them wide open. Mostly with out any trouble. Soil must be mild. I personaly haven't dug this many deep coins since I started hunting. Mainly cause of the many fresh drops there used to be.

The low hanging fruit is gone, that's for sure. My brother WV 62 & myself have gone to the same thought pattern as you Dancer, those faint weak signals are where the silver is now.

No Ken, I mean that maybe it's me struggling. When either machine meets about their tollarance of depth they give off the weakest signal that still passes for a good target. I'm running the both of them wide open. Mostly with out any trouble. Soil must be mild. I personaly haven't dug this many deep coins since I started hunting. Mainly cause of the many fresh drops there used to be.

Ah, I understand now. At first, I was bit disappointed to hear that the X is maxing out at about 8" on dimes. But then I thought about how many coins I've dug at 8", and the answer is... not many :) If it can hit those, I'll be happy.

-Ken

Dancer, where are you setting your discriminate ? I "cherry picked" an old house and got all of the 8" and up targets, I dropped the discriminate to the preset and it is like starting fresh in a new site.. Targets are there that didn't sound off with the disc set higher. Yes, you will dig some small pcs. of aluminum but the good targets far excel the bad ones at that depth. HH Richard
Hopefully, I will be able to post some finds tomorrow that show some of those targets..

Dancer, where are you setting your discriminate ? I "cherry picked" an old house and got all of the 8" and up targets, I dropped the discriminate to the preset and it is like starting fresh in a new site.. Targets are there that didn't sound off with the disc set higher. Yes, you will dig some small pcs. of aluminum but the good targets far excel the bad ones at that depth. HH Richard
Hopefully, I will be able to post some finds tomorrow that show some of those targets..
Richard my first discrimination is just over 30. I'll drop it down and see what happens. Thanks.

Wow, that's great advice, Richard! Like Dancer, I generally have my primary disc set around 30. I'll try dropping it to the preset at some sites I've hunted heavily and see what happens.

I did notice that the preset disc level seems more prone to hit on nail-sized iron, at least in one direction. Guess I'll just dig the targets that sound good and repeatable from both directions.

-Ken